DirtCar Unveils 602 Crate Pro Sprint Division

Discuss Miscellaneous Open Wheel Racing
jonboat15
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Re: DirtCar Unveils 602 Crate Pro Sprint Division

Post by jonboat15 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:13 pm

I would love to see some local non wing sprint car action at Susky or maybe a show every month with wingless sportsmen and ARDC. While I'm wishing, I'd like to see Trailway Speedway run something like that too.

c4
Legend
Legend

Post by c4 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:09 pm

trailway would run most anything brought to the table.....but not out of their pocket.

kossuth
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kossuth » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:47 pm

c4 wrote:
kossuth wrote:
NEWBOMB TURK wrote:
The 305 division was created for this, but like the 358 sprints,things soon got out of hand. This is a crate motor with a carburetor & a seal. Other parts also are standardized and must be used. This seems to me to be a much better idea for keeping cost down. Of course the 305's would have to go, as there are too many divisions.
Personally I don't think the 305s are out of hand. $10,000-$15,000 is the upper end of 305s. I've heard stories of $20,000 305s but I've never seen one. Unicorns maybe? Seen plenty of home built sub $10,000 305s that were plenty competitive. IMO just a terrible idea at this junction.
there are some 305's out there that are approaching 30k. no unicorns....just facts. and thats just motor costs....add cars built with all new components and where does that put you? same cost range as a new 410 car with a very good used motor.
And if they are spending that much money for $600 to win then good on them. If that is some backdoor deal where the motor doesn't meet spec and they are hoping to not get caught, well then good on them for willing to take a chance of getting your motor confiscated and your team banned over $600. How you could spend $30,000 on a motor with spec heads, non roller valvetrain, and all the other limitations they throw at this division? Ever read their motor rules? I just don't see where the difference is. They have even a bit in the rule book attempting to discourage guys from using lightened engine blocks. Here is the link. http://www.racesaver.com/rules.cfm?rk=12

As for $10-15k 305s here they are.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway- ... HwodHUkPLw

http://www.schwankeshortblocks.com/shop ... spx?i=1539

hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by hotrodney » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:40 pm

concordracefan wrote:the motor is a sealed 350 with an alcohol carb. the prices I could find were around $5,000 race ready.
I'm not in favor of yet another "economy" division but 350 cubes definitely sounds more interesting than 305. 430 sounds better yet! It's a proven fact that more CI's are the cheapest way to make HP. I'd love to see a track just do away with engine size rules. Run watcha brung. Sprint car racing the way it used to be.
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.