Pikesville Speedway

Discuss old school racing
Double D Fan
Pit Member
Pit Member

Pikesville Speedway

Post by Double D Fan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:38 pm

I was reading the article on Bud Grimm for his induction into the Sprint Car hall of fame, and it said he started racing at Pikesville Speedway in Md. Any oldtimers on here remember where Pikesville Speedway was? I don't remember ever even hearing about it, or anybody talking about it. ( And yes I'm sure it was in or near Pikesville)

LarryJ
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Pikesville Speedway

Post by LarryJ » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:22 am

Pikesville Speedway was also known as Milford Mill Speedway. It was probably close to 5/8 mile dirt track located off Milford Ave. near Reisterstown Rd. The first event was scheduled in Oct 1929, but was held up until next year. The first race was held on Sunday June 22, 1930. The race was promoted with out of the area drivers and won by Johnny Boyd of Oklahoma. 5000 fans turned out.
I have race results there from 1930 to 1935. There was one motorcycle racing death and one Big Car death while testing, Joe Rutledge.

Bud Grimm did not race there, he was too young. But his relative, Lawrence Grimm had a gas station and garage near by and serviced the race cars. It planted the seed for a future great race car mechanic.

Double D Fan
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by Double D Fan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:28 am

Larry, I had a hunch you would have the answer. Thanks for the info. Any idea when it closed? I bet alot of our local heroes got their start there.

LarryJ
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LarryJ » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:00 am

I could not find any results for 1935 yet read there was a bar across the street and it's owner had just bought the speedway. My guess is 1936 would be the last year.
Some Baltimore and Maryland drivers who ran there were Ned Witte, Walter Bosley, Dusty Rhodes, Walter Wentz and Joe Rutledge. A winner there from Pa. was Roy Devese. Many bigger name drivers ran there like Harris Insinger, Johnny Hannon, Park Culp and Johnny Concannon.
Maybe the most famous is a guy from Washington, D.C. we would all get to know, Bill France Sr.