Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:45 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: A mystery Flying Tiger
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:47 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

1080 and I are trying to figure out this car. I have a 1968 Harry Carbaugh photograph. He is at Hagerstown with his No. 909. The car is a Flying Tiger. Looking at the car to me there is no doubt this is one of the Tigers.

Mitch started off with the first Flack Brothers Flying Tiger. That car had the wide stripes. That is the car he destroyed. The Flacks built a new car and that machine had the narrow stripes.

This Carbaugh car has the narrow stripes. I know Gary Gollub bought the Tiger. Does anyone know if the Flacks built a backup car? Does anyone know the story behind the Carbaugh car and what happened to it? Thanks - Steve Bubb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:02 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Hagerstown PR guy John Frye wrote in his article in the Hagerstown Morning Herald dated Jan 4, 1968.

HARRY CARBAUGH has purchased the Flack No. 2 Tiger Wagon that was driven two seasons ago by Mitch Smith. The Hagerstown driver plans to alter the super to meet local specs and will drive himself.

Larry Jendras Jr.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:05 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Thanks Larry, I knew I could count on a Hagerstown guy to come through!

This is a two-year old car. This must be the one the Flacks took to Hagerstown. The tech crew at Hagerstown looked at the car and said it was illegal. That created a problem because at the time Hagerstown and Port Royal were using the same rules for the supers. The car was legal at the Port but illegal at Hagerstown.

Now I wonder what happened to this car??? Steve Bubb

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:15 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

While we're on the subject of Harry Carbaugh, does anybody know why he chose the number 909? ( Didn't he also drive the Roy Morral #880 a time or two?) Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:52 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Actually i think Bob thomas got the first tiger car, with the wide stripes and it was the 82 car. Evidently the Carbaugh car was before gollub got it as it still had the tiger paint scheme. If you have the good old days tape, check the shot of mitch in the new tiger car going down the backstretch at the grove. The 82 car is behind him, identical to the first tiger car.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:46 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

I have all the Area Autos from the 1960s plus the 1966 Racing Guides. I went through them and here is the answer.

On Saturday night, July 16, 1966 Selinsgrove is off and all the top Selinsgrove drivers head to the Port. The Port has 51 supers in the pits. Ray Tilley and Mitch Smith are fighting for the lead. On lap 19 Mitch goes too hard into turn one and spins. **** Tobias and Leroy Felty slam into the Smith car.

In both papers they state that the Tiger was destroyed in the wreck. That is the car with the wide stripes. Smith receives some minor injuries and Felty has several cuts.

After missing several weeks the Flacks return with a new Flying Tiger. This car has the thin stripes. On the first night they bring it to the track they have Johnny Mackison shake down the car in warm ups. Steve Bubb