Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bud Grimm 88
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:42 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Im not sure were I shot this. I used my Polaroid-peel film. HA HA. I know Ray dove the car. No wing on the car. Looks like a sprint tail on the car. Trevis bolt on cage.I know my old timer friends will help me out :thumbright:

Post subject: Re: Bud Grimm 88
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:25 pm 
Legend
Legend

:thumbright:

SAVE Our Farmland, Forrests and Dirt Tracks!

Freedom Is NOT Free!

RIP Billy Kimmel - Gone but not forgotten!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:45 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

i can't help you with where that was and i'm not 100% sure this is the same car since the nose cone is missing. these photos are from 1966 and the 1st one was labeled Hagerstown. from the background they appear to be taken at the same time from a slightly different angle and of course one in color

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:00 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I beleive the first picture is at Susquehanna Speedway for the first race of the 1966 season. The C.V.R.A officials were very concerned with the car looking like a sprint car. It was built by Trevis to meet the 30 X 90 rules. The second and third pictures were taken after it was modified to look more like the modifieds that were running at the time. I have a video of this car at Susquehanna Speedway taken at the first race of the year.

Thanks Old Racer for posting all these old photo's

1080 can give us all the facts about this car and the issues with the officials.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:27 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

I think the first picture is Susky also.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:11 am 
Racer
Racer

60's fan is 100% correct. They had Bud take off the nose and square up the tail. They later added sheet metal to close the cockpit side in some. Later in the season someone complained that the cage didn't have an X brace in the rear so they added a "decorative" X brace for the most part. It served no purpose other than appease the whiners.

1966 was a challenging year for CVRA officials. The Tiger car was also an issue and caused a big raucous one night. I am not sure what the issue was.....but I think it was about an open rear end. The rules were really getting tested from 1962 through 1966.....hence they opened things up in 1967 and you basically have what you have today....Sprint Cars. Tube frames was the big kicker......

Williams Grove - 16.1 seconds = 173' per second = 117 MPH
Lincoln - 12.7 seconds = 145.2' per second = 99 MPH

2014 Attendance Log:

Port - 8
Grove - 0 drove there and changed my mind
Others - 0

Last edited by 1080 on Wed May 16, 2012 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:55 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Al Hamilton bought that car from Grimm in '67 and "converted" it back to a sprint car. It was Hamilton's first sprinter. He kept the big Ford in it for awhile and switched to a small block Chevy in '68.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:36 am 
Legend
Legend

The 1965 repop 30 x 90 will make it's first appearance at Selinsgrove May 27th for the Keystone Cup race. Some of the Tilley family will be on hand to unvail the car. If you want to have something knock your socks off check it out. When I went to Marlin Heller's garage to check it out he pulled the sheet off covering it and I know my mouth just dropped open. As he always does Marlin had a fantastic job done on the remake of this car. I know Jimmy Strausbaugh was involved with a lot of the work.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:13 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

i heard the 65 bug was going to be there along with i believe the 68 car. here's photos of each of them. the lady in the last picture will, i believe, be singing the national anthem that night. enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:22 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

There is a great Tilley story from 1966. Bud Grimm towed the car to the former Hatfield (Pa.) Speedway for a URC race. He switched the car to a sprint car. After Tilley ran the race at Hatfield, Grimm and Tilley loaded the car on the trailer.

Their next destination was Hagerstown Speedway. Look at a map to see how far it is from Hatfield to Hagerstown. They arrived at Hagerstown as the last super heat was hitting the track. Grim unloaded the car in the parking lot since it was still considered a sprint car. Out in the parking lot he went to work switching the car back to a super modified. He had to add the odd tail and he placed a roof on the car. Plus he went with different tires.

As the super modified consi rolled out, they pushed the No. 88 up to the gate. Tilley joined the consi at the rear and in a matter of a few laps he was in the lead. The engine then gave up the battle and Tilley dropped out. Steve Bubb

By the way, that first photo is Susquehanna Speedway. 1080, I think you are right on Mitch and the Grove. I know there was an issue with the car measurements at the cockpit. It was legal at the Port and illegal at Hagerstown. The Flacks called Bob Richwine and asked if they could race at the Grove. Richwine said as long as it conforms to Grove rules they could race. The Flacks showed up and it was illegal. Mitch and the Flacks resigned their membership from the CVRA because of the ruling.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:25 pm 
Legend
Legend

NICE pictures! :thumbright:

SAVE Our Farmland, Forrests and Dirt Tracks!

Freedom Is NOT Free!

RIP Billy Kimmel - Gone but not forgotten!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:57 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

If anybody is going to S-grove,shoot some pics.& please post them.
I hope to work on some of my old pics this wkend. I'm riding this wkend also :laughing7:

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:59 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

:yessss: WOW!!! This is why I joined this great web-site. All these fine photos,and the great stories! It don't get any better then this. :thumbright: :thumbleft: