Kenny Weld: HELP!

Discuss old school racing
chrysleralmighty
Rookie
Rookie

Kenny Weld: HELP!

Post by chrysleralmighty » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:15 am

This is my first post, so I figure an introduction is in order before I start asking questions and gettin' randy...

I'm new to the board, but I grew up a few miles from The Grove in Dover, PA. My dad grew up on the old Gettysburg Pike and heard the track from the kitchen window on the farm every weekend they ran. As a kid, my best friend's dad was the flagman for years. He's still my best friend, even though I'm closer to Petaluma Speedway in California these days than Williams Grove. Ran around with A.E. Duffy's Super Late team before that class disappeared and one of my best memories at the track was hopping in the bed of the truck to push Kinser one night. Good times.

Nowadays, I publish my own magazine. Little bit of everything I think gearheads might like. I pretty much publish the stuff I dig and so far, enough people seem to share my taste in cars and girls and racing and bikes that it's working. Right now, I'm working on a feature on Kenny Weld. I saw a snapshot (I think it was on this board somewhere) of Kenny Weld's team in FL with Bob Stitley in the background. That shot got me interested in Weld again and now I'm looking for some people to talk to about him.

Have any stories you'd like to share with me? Any snapshots? I had the good fortune of meeting Kenny Johnson and getting a ton of great photos of Weld and his team from him, but I'd love to hear some great stories about this guy. I know there's no shortage.

Love to hear from you here on the board or hit me directly at dan@autoculture.org

Thanks, everyone and really looking forward to hearing from you,

Dan Stoner
AUTOCULT
Born on a mountain, raised in a cave...

GOSHOW
Legend
Legend

Re: Kenny Weld: HELP!

Post by GOSHOW » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:21 am

I was around Kenny some in his shop in Loganville Pa. and I probably have a few short stories, but what I would really like to know and probably some others on here is some info on how to get your magazine.

chrysleralmighty
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chrysleralmighty » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:16 am

Ah, great question!

AUTOCULT is a brand-new quarterly magazine available at all major stores: Barnes & Noble, Hastings, Books-A-Million, etc. The first issue has pretty much sold out, but you might be able to find it somewhere, still. It's also $12.00, so it's a little spendy.

if you've got some stuff you wouldn't mind sharing, we'll make sure your photos and stories are taken care of.

raceshirts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raceshirts » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:44 am

Show, I have the first issue. PM me if you want to see it.

paoldtimer
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by paoldtimer » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:46 pm

You might want to contact Bobby Brooks - he was close to Kenny too. He's on Facebook.
"Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you will suck forever!"

chrysleralmighty
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chrysleralmighty » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Thanks, pa--I'll reach out to him!

chrysleralmighty
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chrysleralmighty » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:20 pm

Anyone interested in sharing some personal stories about Kenny? Let me know here or send me an email:

dan@autoculture.org

We'll give you a credit byline in the magazine feature and if you have any old photos, we'll give you photo credit, too. Of course, you'll also get copies of the magazine and pdf files on a CD for your collection.

62xracer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 62xracer » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:44 pm

Ken Johnson is an authority on Weld. Contact me by e-mail, I'll try to put you in touch with him. rjjkshive@verizon.net

chrysleralmighty
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chrysleralmighty » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Thanks for the reply, 62--already met with Ken Johnson and got some great photos from him. Looking for more people with some KW stories, though...

62xracer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 62xracer » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:35 pm

Good, if I think of any others, I'll post it.

chrysleralmighty
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chrysleralmighty » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Also, if anyone has any old snapshots of Weld's old Batmobile, lemme know--I'm looking for pics of that thing for this article, too. Originals are best--if you have the actual photos, let me know and we'll make arrangements to get them scanned.

Thanks a ton, y'all--hope to hear from some of you!