Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:35 am 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

I was about 4 in the early or mid 70s, we went to a daytime midget race at Flemington, NJ thought it was the coolest thing I ever saw.
Probably went to Oxford, PA motocross races and Elkton, MD TT scrambles tracks about the same time.
Still love it all.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:56 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Not exactly sure but it was probably 1962 at Williams Grove. WG on Fridays and Selinsgrove on Saturdays. Ray Tilley was my hero and my sister rooted for Bobby Abel.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:06 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

I remember it like it was yesterday. It was August 8, 1965 and the track was Williams Grove. I went with my uncles, cousins, grandfather and my dad. Since I was the rookie they were trying to decide who I should root for. I ended up going with Ray Tilley. What a wise choice.

Mitch Smith led most of the race. Ray Tilley made a big charge only to lose the handle and drop back. Tilley made another charge and almost caught Mitch at the end. That was enough to hook me. Afterwards we went out to Wolf's Diner and waited for Ray Tilley to make his weekly stop. It was always steak when he won - hamburgers when he didn't. He ate a lot of streak back then. That was a lot of fun. The Richwines would be at the diner. Other drivers would stop by and the post racing banter would begin.

That first year my dad took me to the Grove, Silver Spring and Dorney Park. He has told me about going to Nazareth for a sprint car show. I can not remember the Nazareth show. We met Mario Andretti after the races so I really wish I could remember the race. Steve Bubb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:29 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Flemington, 1963, Jackie McLaughlin won.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:43 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

poconoposse wrote:
did you have to be born yet cause im pretty sure i was still in the womb when i was at the track, but if that dont count probably 75 or 76 at selinsgrove, im not sure though

Same for me :yessss: I know I was at the races long before I have any real memories of them. The whole family went anywhere the sportsmen raced... Springs, susquehanna, Penn National.

Dad knew/helped Gary Wolford so he was naturally my favorite driver. Then he started helping Paul Kline with his sportsman and later with the sprint car. I remember geting a ticket from Paul most Friday nights at the Grove and the making a bee line to beer hill to watch the race. It was freaking awesome!

When I started a family, I fell out of racing till a couple of years ago when I went to surprise Dad at the Sportsmen 100. I took my camera along and now :ahhhh: ... You can look in the photo section most weeks to see what happened next!

Ps Bobby Able lived not too far from Mom and Dad but unfortunately I can't remembr seeing him race but I do remember him. He was a really nice guy!

Susquehanna Speedway Park pictures are available for purchase at http://luckyshotphotography.net/
All other race photos on zepprox personal site- http://zepplinrox.smugmug.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:48 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

1965 - Lincoln Speedway. My older brother had been to the races before and told us it makes it more exciting if you choose someone to cheer for. Well here comes this pretty blue, neat looking #66 out the back pit gate for warm ups. HEY who's that, why it's Dizzy Dean. To make a long story short, with that nice looking car and a name like that, I had to become a life long Dizzy Dean fan.( AKA Double D fan). Bobby Myers stopped Bobby Abel's win streak, and Gene Saine won the L-M feature.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:22 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Double D Fan wrote:
1965 - Lincoln Speedway. My older brother had been to the races before and told us it makes it more exciting if you choose someone to cheer for. Well here comes this pretty blue, neat looking #66 out the back pit gate for warm ups. HEY who's that, why it's Dizzy Dean. To make a long story short, with that nice looking car and a name like that, I had to become a life long Dizzy Dean fan.( AKA Double D fan). Bobby Myers stopped Bobby Abel's win streak, and Gene Saine won the L-M feature.

Geez, and here all the time I thought you were a Danny Dietrich fan :dontknow: :laughing7: :poking:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:29 am 
Legend
Legend

Same here. Never thought of Dizzy Dean,who is a great guy,BTW.

I can still remember going to Langhorne PA in 1959 to attend my first race. Uncle Jerry drove us there in a 1956 Chevy.We stopped in Easton PA for lunch. I can remember sitting on the hood of the car in the infield. It was a midget race,don`t remember any details of the race itself,really. I was only 2 1/2 yrs old.

http://www.jacksracephotos.net/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Racing-ph ... 6874310329

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:32 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

I cannot remember the exact 1st time, but memories do go back to late 70's. Williams Grove and Hagerstown were ran by Jack Gunn under KARS, and both tracks ran Sprints, Late Models, and Challengers (Limited Lates). I remember Cris Criswell's last two toned blue #84, so 1978ish-79 is my earliest memory. I remember Cris crashing that car into turn 1 at the Grove due to something breaking in the steering.

I remember both Kramer Williamson and Larry Gorman in Apple House #41 Sprint and Late Model.

Hagerstown - 9
Winchester - 5
Path Valley - 1
Williams Grove - 1

https://www.facebook.com/brettroseracingengines

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:48 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

South Penn Speedway in Everett. 1955 I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:31 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

paoldtimer wrote:
Double D Fan wrote:

Geez, and here all the time I thought you were a Danny Dietrich fan :dontknow: :laughing7: :poking:

Danny seems like a very nice guy, and he certainly can handle a sprinter with no problems, but yes it's true Dizzy my All-Time favorite!!! :yessss:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:56 am 
Rookie
Rookie

My dad and I went to the old Butler Speedway at the old Butler Fairgrounds where the Senior High School is now. It was probably 1947. My memory is of the cars V1 and V2 driven by Richard Linder and August Linder. I would later see Gus in the Mickey Banas Sprinter at places like Blanket Hill and Tri City.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:05 am 
Legend
Legend

trecraft wrote:
My dad and I went to the old Butler Speedway at the old Butler Fairgrounds where the Senior High School is now. It was probably 1947. My memory is of the cars V1 and V2 driven by Richard Linder and August Linder. I would later see Gus in the Mickey Banas Sprinter at places like Blanket Hill and Tri City.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: You have my respect and you also belong in our older than dirt club.. :laughing7:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:59 am 
Rookie
Rookie

1957, ARDC midgets at the Hatfield Speedway. It was 1/2 mile asphalt. Race was won by Bill Randall in Ed Darrel's offy. Other than the smell of pigs nearby, it was fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:40 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It would have been at Hagerstown in the Summer of 1965 I was three. I can't say I remember the race, but I do remember going quite often once we started going. I remember sitting in the covered stands. Bobby Able and **** Warrenfeltz were my favs as a Kid.

http://www.pbase.com/davidm2/
http://davidm.smugmug.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next