Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Sammy Swindell 1977!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:07 am 
Offline
Racer
Racer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:15 am
Posts: 3617
Location: Lancaster, PA
Before he was King Sammy! Lincoln Speedway 1977....

Image

Image

_________________
LEE GREENAWALT PHOTOGRAPHY
LANCASTER, PENN.
rmarlin65@yahoo.com
check me out on Facebook too!
Staff photographer for Area Auto Racing News!.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sammy Swindell 1977!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:48 pm 
Online
Legend
Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:14 pm
Posts: 14356
Location: PA POSSE Country
NICE ones! :thumbright:

_________________
Central PA - Home of the PA POSSE and the Best Dirt Track Racin' in America!

SAVE Our Farmland, Forrests and Dirt Tracks!

Freedom Is NOT Free!

RIP Billy Kimmel - Gone but not forgotten!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sammy Swindell 1977!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:38 pm 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:53 pm
Posts: 178
Location: Schuylkill County
nice :thumbright:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sammy Swindell 1977!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:49 pm 
Offline
Racer
Racer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:57 pm
Posts: 3435
That's one rough looking race-car. It just maybe the photo, but that thing looks like a death trap.

_________________
Racecar spelled backwards spells Racecar


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sammy Swindell 1977!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:50 pm 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:26 am
Posts: 8
SLINKMASTERC wrote:
That's one rough looking race-car. It just maybe the photo, but that thing looks like a death trap.



I built that car using a conduit bender by hand when I worked for Bobby Davis Electric Co. We won 27 ot of 53 races that year and could have easily won 40 races if not for engine woes. That death trap actually took a really hard crash at Sante fe Speedway and we put it back together and won the next night at the Des Moines Fairgrounds. Before you say any more, what you should do is build a chassis by hand and then we can all come on here and see how well it does !
Tommy Sanders


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sammy Swindell 1977!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:35 pm 
Offline
Pit Member
Pit Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:26 am
Posts: 707
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Before Mr. Sanders replied, I was simply going to state that this car looked par for the course of other sprint cars that I've seen pics of from the 1970's.

_________________
2014 Race Counter -

Hagerstown - 12
Winchester - 9
Path Valley - 1
Williams Grove - 3


https://www.facebook.com/brettroseracingengines


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sammy Swindell 1977!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:27 pm 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:10 am
Posts: 165
1718 wrote:
SLINKMASTERC wrote:
That's one rough looking race-car. It just maybe the photo, but that thing looks like a death trap.



I built that car using a conduit bender by hand when I worked for Bobby Davis Electric Co. We won 27 ot of 53 races that year and could have easily won 40 races if not for engine woes. That death trap actually took a really hard crash at Sante fe Speedway and we put it back together and won the next night at the Des Moines Fairgrounds. Before you say any more, what you should do is build a chassis by hand and then we can all come on here and see how well it does !
Tommy Sanders

Tell ya what Tommy.... its a **** shame the idiot didnt hang it up after the Sante Fe crash. Maybe Brad Doty would be still walking and more recently... Fred wouldnt have been as high as the light stantions at the Grove Saturday night!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sammy Swindell 1977!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:06 am 
Offline
Legend
Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:59 am
Posts: 9093
:roll:

_________________
Tilton Hilton
2 Speedway Drive
Mechanicsburg , PA 17055

2014 races : 42

Port Royal 17
Williams Grove 18
Lincoln. 3
Trailway 1
Path Valley 1
Grandveiw 1
Hagerstown 1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sammy Swindell 1977!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:25 am 
Offline
Pit Member
Pit Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:40 am
Posts: 800
Location: Friday- Grove infield Turn 3 Saturday- Susky infield pitstall #45
:popcorn:

_________________
All "FOUR" Fun!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sammy Swindell 1977!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:22 am 
Offline
Legend
Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:04 am
Posts: 6356
Location: DOVER
Hey Tommy I did the same thing on a smaller scale about 30 yrs. ago. Same thing bent molly with a conduit bender...wow I know right where you are coming from. Cut, bent, welded a chassis for my son's quarter midget. Then did all the hand sheetmetal work. Gives you a special feeling when you actually see it perform. :clap: :clap: :clap: As you can easily atest by Bobby Allen back in the day pretty don't win races, hard work does. :thumbright:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sammy Swindell 1977!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:05 pm 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:26 am
Posts: 8
GOSHOW wrote:
Hey Tommy I did the same thing on a smaller scale about 30 yrs. ago. Same thing bent molly with a conduit bender...wow I know right where you are coming from. Cut, bent, welded a chassis for my son's quarter midget. Then did all the hand sheetmetal work. Gives you a special feeling when you actually see it perform. :clap: :clap: :clap: As you can easily atest by Bobby Allen back in the day pretty don't win races, hard work does. :thumbright:


Your right Goshow, when you bend chrome moly tubing with a conduit bender by hand it sure does make it worth while to go out and win races with it. By the way my wife and I will be back in Pa. on Labor Day weekend, hanging with the Rahmers, look me up !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sammy Swindell 1977!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:50 pm 
Offline
Pit Member
Pit Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:50 pm
Posts: 684
Location: Lititz
SLINKMASTERC wrote:
That's one rough looking race-car. It just maybe the photo, but that thing looks like a death trap.


I woulda given my right nut to drive that car in '77. Young guys don't recall the soul of sprint car racing, back when hard work meant innovation and 'do it yourself'. Not call an order, bolt it on and go race. I'm not saying racers today don't work, just that times have changed. And if you think that was a 'death trap' what was Hennershitz driving, and only a few seconds slower!
Thanks to Lee for the pic!

_________________
life is a garden ,DIG IT!!!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group