Racing at the York Fairgrounds

Discuss old school racing
Straight Shooter
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Re: Racing at the York Fairgrounds

Post by Straight Shooter » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:43 am

hotrodney wrote:Didn't Bloomsburg fairgrounds used to have midget races during fair week? I'm not sure if they ever had sprints. They still have figure 8 races and the world's largest demolition derby.
Yes. Back in the late 70's I remember attending an ARDC race there. I witnessed masses of people sitting in the first turn end of the grandstands get absolutely covered with the track surface during warm ups. Alot of peed off people.
24 410's & a cloud of dust!!

Buildy
Legend
Legend

Post by Buildy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:43 am

I have photos "somewhere" of an ARDC Midget race at the York Fairgrounds around 1950. Also there are clips of that race in a Vintage racing DVD I have. The fast and the famous or something like that.

High in the first turn
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by High in the first turn » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:28 am

Straight Shooter wrote:
hotrodney wrote:Didn't Bloomsburg fairgrounds used to have midget races during fair week? I'm not sure if they ever had sprints. They still have figure 8 races and the world's largest demolition derby.
Yes. Back in the late 70's I remember attending an ARDC race there. I witnessed masses of people sitting in the first turn end of the grandstands get absolutely covered with the track surface during warm ups. Alot of peed off people.
Midgets at Bloomsburg in the late 70's were sanctioned by SMRC which was a group led by Dutch Shaeffer that broke away from ARDC.
There was a NASCAR Strictly Stock , now Nextel Cup, race there in 1953.