Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hawthorne 35's
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:41 am 
Racer
Racer

I remember Dunstan and Cassella driving this car. I believe Dunstan may have won also in it.

Yep on Ditzler....Ditzler Brothers Garage in Jonestown. John was the tech guy for CVRA from at least 1961-1967 and I forget his daughters name that married Bud.

I believe a Bill Miller (not the old driver) was a mechanic on the Hawthorne cars with Wilbur.

That whole bunch of sprinters that migrated East in late 1966 were a bunch of decent guys....Hawthorne..Banas...etc.....

Williams Grove - 16.1 seconds = 173' per second = 117 MPH
Lincoln - 12.7 seconds = 145.2' per second = 99 MPH

2014 Attendance Log:

Port - 8
Grove - 0 drove there and changed my mind
Others - 0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:11 am 
Rookie
Rookie

1080 wrote:
I remember Dunstan and Cassella driving this car. I believe Dunstan may have won also in it.

Yep on Ditzler....Ditzler Brothers Garage in Jonestown. John was the tech guy for CVRA from at least 1961-1967 and I forget his daughters name that married Bud.

I believe a Bill Miller (not the old driver) was a mechanic on the Hawthorne cars with Wilbur.

That whole bunch of sprinters that migrated East in late 1966 were a bunch of decent guys....Hawthorne..Banas...etc.....

Sally Ditzler.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:55 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

jaskfs wrote:
grocery1 wrote:
White 35 won the 67 open, blue car the 68 open, white car the 69 open as the Wasson 5. Wasson 5 also won 68 tuscarora 50. 1967 35 finished second to Walkup in usac reading race. Guess the blue 35 became the orange and white 35 in 1969. One of the 77's was i think the 68 tilley car. leroy felty also had it as the 7. There was an all white 35 also, Cassella drove it some. Read where Adamson drove the old 88 as the 35 but i think it was the 77 then.

A little more on the White 35. My Dad (George Speck )owned and drove this sprint in 1969 (#25) and 1970 (#6). In this case the white 35 could not have won the 69 open.
This is an excerpt from a e-mail that I received from the man that bought the car from my dad.

Your dad's car was one of the first true sprint cars that Floyd built. It was built for Wilbur Hawthorn. Bobby Adamson was the primary driver, although Wilbur put a couple of other drivers in it from time to time including one of my friends, Ronnie Dunstan.
Wilbur sold the car to Gary Wasson. It was the first of many Trevis cars that Gary would own. I think Wilbur may have quit racing at this time because Bobby drove the car for Gary for a while. In the 1968 Stars and Cars Yearbook, there is a picture of Ronnie Rough driving the car for Gary. The car was mostly driven by Mitch Smith to many wins. A lot of people in the know, think this car won more features than any other Trevis car. I could never pin down the actual number it won, but I think it must have been close to 100 features.
Your Dad's wrench was John Ditzler. John's son-in-law was Bud Grimm. John thought that either your Dad's car or Bud's car were the winingest Trevis cars of all time but even he wasn't sure of the exact numbers. (The great Ray Tilley drove for Bud).
Chip Bachman

PS. This is the car that Wilbur and Bobby took to California to race a CRA 50 lapper at Ascott. The west coast guys laughed at the car because they thought it was a shit-box. Bobby set fast time, broke the track record and ran away with the feature!

Unfortunately, after Chip had the car for a short time, he sold it to a fellow from Philly who never did anything with it other than let it sit in a junkyard near Quakertown where I believe it eventually got cubed.

The first driver for the Hawthorne Special#35 was Robert Burriss, of Lisbon,Ohio.Wilbur's first dirt super(sprint) was a converted Kurtis Indy roadster,and then he bought,for Bob,a new Trevis sprint. When the car was new, Bob set a new track record in qualifying at Greater Pittsburgh Speedway,otherwise known as Clinton. :doh: :ahhhh: was a while ago.... :shifty:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:16 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

The white car that won the 69 open as the wasson 5 was the car bobbie drove in 67 and 68, the car was white and blue. I wasn't referring to the all white 35 winning the 69 national. Sounds like the orange and white 35 was a different car than the all white 35. i think the all white 35 took a bad flip in turns 3 and 4 at the Grove.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:36 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

The 35 driven by Adamson to the '67 National Open win was the same car Gene Varner drove to the '69 National Open win with Gary Wasson as the owner. You may recall that Mitch Smith had a bunch of wins in the Wasson car in '69 also. The white Hawthorne 35 was blue, then orange and finally white. They had a big crash at the Grove and other speedways. Billy Cassella was the driver and flipped it quite a few times. You talk about two different driving styles. Adamson was the smoothest driver out there. Cassella was on it all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:48 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Did Wilbur have two Trevis Craft? Was the car that won in 1968 different from the one that won in 1967 and 1969? This has been great watching this get sorted out. :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:39 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I will call my dad today and get the answers to some of these questions. I think he said the were only two trevis cars built like the one he drove in 67. Wilber did buy more trevis cars during the years dad drove for him, I think three but i will ask dad today.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:02 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

bobbie was my favorite driver when he was in the hamilton cars but do remember him in the hawthorne 35. here's a red trimmed car i don't remember. i have it labeled 1969 and thought maybe it was after cassella got in the car but from my records from SG i show that bobbie was in the hawthorne car up till july 26 1969 with Mitch in the 77. on august 2nd i show bobbie in the hamilton 78 with mitch in the wasson 5 then bobbie for the rest of the year in the hamilton 77. no record of the hawthorne car in the starting lineup after july 26 1969. showing casella in it for the first race on april 11, 1970 so this is most likely an adamson car. i just don't remember the red.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:40 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Brett, did you talk to your dad?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:04 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

The 35 was the first sprinter that I fell in love with. My kindergarten teacher got tired of seeing me draw nothing but pictures of that car. Bobby Adamson was my first hero, but he broke my heart when he left that car. I dumped him for Mitch Smith and cheered for Billy Casella in the 35. On a different note, I thought Mitch started '68 in the Regester 6 and went to the Wasson 5 later that year. I have pictures of him in both dated '68, but nothing of him in the 77 until the mid-70's. I'm wondering if the dates on my pictures are off and if there is anything out there of him in the 77 earlier than '75/'76.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:43 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Dave in VA wrote:
The 35 was the first sprinter that I fell in love with. My kindergarten teacher got tired of seeing me draw nothing but pictures of that car. Bobby Adamson was my first hero, but he broke my heart when he left that car. I dumped him for Mitch Smith and cheered for Billy Casella in the 35. On a different note, I thought Mitch started '68 in the Regester 6 and went to the Wasson 5 later that year. I have pictures of him in both dated '68, but nothing of him in the 77 until the mid-70's. I'm wondering if the dates on my pictures are off and if there is anything out there of him in the 77 earlier than '75/'76.

Memories from a western PA fan who back then only went to the Grove National. It seems Mitch drove for Gary Wasson in the early 70's and then Gary stopped for a couple years. Then when he came back Smokey was his driver for about two years and Gary quit again. Opperman was going to drive for Hamilton in 1976 but decided to stay out west. So Al got Mitch out of retirement to drive the Maxwell for one year and then Mitch retired again. And then Al retired for a while. Any of that make sense?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:36 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

trecraft wrote:
Dave in VA wrote:

Memories from a western PA fan who back then only went to the Grove National. It seems Mitch drove for Gary Wasson in the early 70's and then Gary stopped for a couple years. Then when he came back Smokey was his driver for about two years and Gary quit again. Opperman was going to drive for Hamilton in 1976 but decided to stay out west. So Al got Mitch out of retirement to drive the Maxwell for one year and then Mitch retired again. And then Al retired for a while. Any of that make sense?

That sounds about right. If I recall, Mitch decided to retire and Lee Osborne drove for Wasson for a little while; they even put and orange 81 on the car to make Lee happy. It wasn't long, maybe part of one season. The 5 disappeared for a while, then was back with Smokey. It's funny how the brain works. I just turned 50 in January and if you say "Bobby Adamson", I see #35, no matter how long he drove for Al. I know better, but I can't imagine Smokey driving anything but the 880.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:24 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Plez, fellas, it's Bobbie, not Bobby.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:56 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Popboon wrote:
Plez, fellas, it's Bobbie, not Bobby.

That is the newspaper editor coming out.

lol

- Earnest Hemingway

“Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines”

- Enzo Ferrari

That’s the way race people are. If they think anybody’s got money, we’re all hookers.”

- Kyle Petty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:00 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

It was 1975 that Opperman started the year in the Hamilton 77. He won the Grove opener and may have been the last time he and Weld raced against each other. Weld finished 3rd, Van May was 2nd. That race really sealed the racing deal for me.

Oldtimeracer...Thanks. You should try sending popboon an e-mail. It comes back corrected. :laughing7:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next