Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:39 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:32 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Anyone know what became of the Paul Kline # 75 Stanton sprint car in the early 1980's? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:18 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

this one from 82-83?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:34 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Scott Harro wrote:
this one from 82-83?

Yes. This is the one. Did you ever know what happened to it? Thanks so much for showing this picture.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:42 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

no sorry, just thought i'd post a photo to jog someones memory.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:06 pm 
Legend
Legend

NICE picture! :thumbright:

SAVE Our Farmland, Forrests and Dirt Tracks!

Freedom Is NOT Free!

RIP Billy Kimmel - Gone but not forgotten!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:39 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Didn't one of Paul's cars burn up at Port in the 3rd turn?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:26 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Looking at older pictures, it seems that he may have had more than one Stanton. Never heard that story about Port but sometimes stories have some truth.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:36 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I don't know what frame this is ? Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:15 pm 
Legend
Legend

NICE picture! :thumbright:

SAVE Our Farmland, Forrests and Dirt Tracks!

Freedom Is NOT Free!

RIP Billy Kimmel - Gone but not forgotten!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:10 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Flying Tiger wrote:
I don't know what frame this is ? Image

This is my favorite picture of the various photos of his Stanton sprint car. Still looking to find out what happened to the Stanton(s) after he sold them, sometime after 1982 and 1983. How is your memory from thirty years ago?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:14 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Looking at older pictures, it seems that he may have had more than one Stanton. Never heard that story about Port but sometimes stories have some truth. The picture of one of his cars in flames on the Open Wheel cover wasn't one of the Stantons, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:34 pm 
Racer
Racer

Just talked to Pop...Paul and he had only one of the Stanton frames ...Pop's quote of the night "If you bent them YOU had to fix 'em!"

He just talked to Paul the other day be he forgot to asked what happened to the car after they quit racing. He said he'll try to remember to ask him the next time he stops and I'll hopefully see him at one of the shooting matches at the club in the next couple of weeks.

Dad and I are fairly certain that the fire on the cover of Open Wheel was a Smith frame they got to go sprint racing. I was there that night but I wasn't in the pits. I remember Paul bailing out the car as it idled down pit lane and Dad reaching out and grabbing the rear bumper to stop the car. The caption for the picture said that the fire was the result of a blown engine. The real cause of the fire was due to something hitting the oil filter and the oil then hitting the header on the left side. Dad has the Open Wheel with the shot of the car.

Dad said they took the car to the car was and washed off the oil, dirt and fire extinguisher dust and put a new filter on the car refilled the oil pan and took it to Selinsgrove the next night. A bunch of people asked how they put an engine together so fast and they all ended up just shaking their heads when they heard what really happened. He pretty sure it was the same engine that later won a feature at the Grove!

Although he wasn't there that night, Dad's pretty sure it was the Stanton in the fire at Port Royal but that was the result of the oil plug falling out. Paul had them take out the plug from the truck and put it in the sprint car and they went back to racing. After they were done they took the plug back out of the car and put the plug and oil in the truck. I can't tell you how much racing engine oil my Dad's Chevy Vega brunt up but heck the price was right!

I'm sure he has the Open Wheel with the Stanton hauling the mail down the backstretch at Syracuse too! I'll have to see I can get them scanned so I can post the shots.

Dad thinks that Tommy Dagget of Columbia had a Stanton car too but he's not as sure about that as the other stuff.

PS. You guys have great memories....I was raised at the track and till I was probably 11 or12 years old I just assumed that EVERYONE else was doing the same things my family did on Saturday nights....Go Racing!!!

Pps. I think that my uncle painted the body of the car and Delco did the lettering! I know my uncle painted the Tobias framed small block modified...same color scheme and man oh man was that car beautiful! I wish someone could find a picture of it but they didn't run it that often as it seemed to have an over heating problem.

Susquehanna Speedway Park pictures are available for purchase at http://luckyshotphotography.net/
All other race photos on zepprox personal site- http://zepplinrox.smugmug.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:08 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

zepplinrox wrote:
Just talked to Pop...Paul and he had only one of the Stanton frames ...Pop's quote of the night "If you bent them YOU had to fix 'em!"

He just talked to Paul the other day be he forgot to asked what happened to the car after they quit racing. He said he'll try to remember to ask him the next time he stops and I'll hopefully see him at one of the shooting matches at the club in the next couple of weeks.

Dad and I are fairly certain that the fire on the cover of Open Wheel was a Smith frame they got to go sprint racing. I was there that night but I wasn't in the pits. I remember Paul bailing out the car as it idled down pit lane and Dad reaching out and grabbing the rear bumper to stop the car. The caption for the picture said that the fire was the result of a blown engine. The real cause of the fire was due to something hitting the oil filter and the oil then hitting the header on the left side. Dad has the Open Wheel with the shot of the car.

Dad said they took the car to the car was and washed off the oil, dirt and fire extinguisher dust and put a new filter on the car refilled the oil pan and took it to Selinsgrove the next night. A bunch of people asked how they put an engine together so fast and they all ended up just shaking their heads when they heard what really happened. He pretty sure it was the same engine that later won a feature at the Grove!

Although he wasn't there that night, Dad's pretty sure it was the Stanton in the fire at Port Royal but that was the result of the oil plug falling out. Paul had them take out the plug from the truck and put it in the sprint car and they went back to racing. After they were done they took the plug back out of the car and put the plug and oil in the truck. I can't tell you how much racing engine oil my Dad's Chevy Vega brunt up but heck the price was right!

I'm sure he has the Open Wheel with the Stanton hauling the mail down the backstretch at Syracuse too! I'll have to see I can get them scanned so I can post the shots.

Dad thinks that Tommy Dagget of Columbia had a Stanton car too but he's not as sure about that as the other stuff.

PS. You guys have great memories....I was raised at the track and till I was probably 11 or12 years old I just assumed that EVERYONE else was doing the same things my family did on Saturday nights....Go Racing!!!

Pps. I think that my uncle painted the body of the car and Delco did the lettering! I know my uncle painted the Tobias framed small block modified...same color scheme and man oh man was that car beautiful! I wish someone could find a picture of it but they didn't run it that often as it seemed to have an over heating problem.

Thank you for any info so far. Sure looking for info as to whom got the car after Paul. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:48 pm 
Racer
Racer

Paul told Dad that the car was sold to someone in New York to race in the Emipre Super Sprint Series. He couldn't recall to whom he sold it though.

They have a nice website, you may find some help there.

Sorry, I couldn't be of more assistance.

Susquehanna Speedway Park pictures are available for purchase at http://luckyshotphotography.net/
All other race photos on zepprox personal site- http://zepplinrox.smugmug.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:19 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

zepplinrox wrote:
Paul told Dad that the car was sold to someone in New York to race in the Emipre Super Sprint Series. He couldn't recall to whom he sold it though.

They have a nice website, you may find some help there.

Sorry, I couldn't be of more assistance.

Thanks for your follow up.