Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:59 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: first ever race in PA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:44 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Anyone that was at the EMMR roundtable on former Pennsylvania tracks that I hosted, there is a change in one fact. I said the first race I found in PA was in October of 1900 in Uniontown. That is sort of right it is the first automobile race I have found. However, I just found a September 2, 1899 motorcycle race in Philadelphia making it the oldest so far. Judging from the article, there will be some more earlier I just have to find them - Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:26 am 
Legend
Legend

That's a pretty interesting. Were these early races on horse tracks or on public roads/trails?

http://www.pbase.com/davidm2/
http://davidm.smugmug.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:27 am 
Legend
Legend

That's a pretty interesting. Were these early races on horse tracks or on public roads/trails?

http://www.pbase.com/davidm2/
http://davidm.smugmug.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:34 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

The Uniontown race was on the fairground track. That fairground was in town and is now long gone. the Philadelphia race was at the Tioga track an oval. What I cannnot figure out is the size, a mile or half mile. Article is not clear on that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:11 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Belmont Driving Park, PA
28th July 1899 – 2 miles
FP # Driver Car Time
1 Jules Junker Winton 0:07:38.25
2 Thomas P.Langton General Electric
R W.H.Roach Waverly Electric 1 mile
Held as part of a meeting featuring bicycle and horse racing. The race was scheduled to be one
mile, but was extended to two miles on the day. Roach’s Waverly punctured a tyre on the way to
the track, and competed in this condition. There had been five entries, but only three turned
up.
Langton led from the start, leading by about four car lengths from Junker until a mile and a
half when it was overtaken by the Winton. Roach retired after reaching one mile, already being
half a mile behind. In the final stretch Langton tried to use all of its reserve power, but
the large hood caught the wind and Junker won by three car lengths.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:13 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Also from 1899:

The Philadelphia Consulate of the League of American Wheelmen ran a meeting on the 1st
July at the Tioga track in Philadelphia. Although the bicycle races took place, the
advertised automobile race was called off after the American built vehicle turned up,
but the French built one did not. The American built vehicle ran an exhibition mile,
but no time was taken.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:59 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

I did locate 1898 at the West Side Park at Wilkes Barre which is now Kingston. They had several races that year. I did see the article about the Tioga track at Philly. I am trying to locate that oval, not sure the exact location. Thanks for the info!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:12 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

If you Google "Belmont Driving Park, PA" you can find a map with the track and when the area was turned into a housing development.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:24 am 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Yeah the Belmont track is a good find. This Tioga one is kind of baffling. I think I located the West Side track at Wilkes Barre. From what I can find the West Side track is the first one in the state to have lights, they had them in the early 1910s. These finds are great and the history keeps popping up. I had a big find this week that I am waiting to double check. Also just found a race track here in Harrisburg that no one knew about and it was in operation for three years. More to come folks!!! Steve Here is an 1899 ad for motorcycle races at West Side Park in Wilkes Barre

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.