Ray Erickson's Columbus Auto Supply Sprinter

Discuss old school racing
freddyfan
Rookie
Rookie

Ray Erickson's Columbus Auto Supply Sprinter

Post by freddyfan » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:16 pm

I am interested in info on the Columbus Auto Supply Special #33 owned by Ray Erickson and built by A.J. Watson. The car was driven by Ed Elisian, Bobby Grim, and A.J. Foyt. It eventually became the Bowes Seal Fast #1 driven to great success by A.J. Foyt. I have a couple of black and white pics of the car but nothing in color. I would like to build a model of this particular car but without any color pics it is kinda hard to pull off. The knowledge base of members of this board is amazing and I am hoping that someone may be able to post a color pic of this car in Erikson's livery. Any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Jim Nise
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Ray Erickson's Columbus Auto Supply Sprinter

Post by Jim Nise » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:08 am

It was white with gold leaf lettering. Very bland.

The car was owned by Watson before Foyt got it for the 1961 season. In 1960 it was the Watson #2 with Dart Kart sponsorship later. Gun Barrell Blue, white lettering.

freddyfan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by freddyfan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:49 pm

Jim -
Thanks for the info. From the pics that I have it appears to be as you described. I have a really hard time determining the black and white differences between red, black, and blue. From the Bobby Grim pic I have of the car at Williams Grove gold leaf would seem correct. Did you have any direct connection to the car?? Any recollections of the car on track, etc. would be really cool.

Thanks again!!

Jim Nise
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jim Nise » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:55 pm

Freddy fan,
If you look at thevintageracer.com under the historians section look up Foyt in the autograph section. He is standing behind the car. That picture was used by ESPN on a NASCAR book they made on the 50 best drivers in NASCAR. They used that pic to show he came from outside the stock car world. My pic is from 1958.

Also in 1955 the car was dark in a picture (B&W)I just saw taken at Langhorne. A guy named Slater was the driver.

So pick your poison.

Good Luck.

freddyfan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by freddyfan » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:52 am

Jim -
Thanks again for your help. Your collection of photos and autographs is outstanding. I spent a good bit of time browsing thru them the other day. Looks like I'm going to go with the gold leaf on white as you pointed out. I need to spend more time over on the vintage racer - - fascinating material over there - - and LOTS of it!!