Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:26 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

Akron, Temple, Syracuse, and Eastern Illinois. Making another undefeated run at the BCS eh?
Link here: http://ydr.inyork.com/ci_11582863

I like Penn State, but the schedule is weak again. It doesn't pay to beat up cream puffs and then get smoked by another team like USC.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:56 am 
Racer
Racer

As much as I hate to admit, it is weak and ridiculous.

BUT, do you realize how much money those "cream puffs" recieve playing PSU? They're on National Television playing Penn State with millions of people watching.

With Penn State losing, I think 21 players this year, 17 seniors and 4 underclassmen, it will be a rebuilding process. Plus, they have 2 of the best recruits coming in this Spring and 2 other who decommited with other schools and are planning to sign with PSU.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:03 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

That's quite maganimous of PSU to grace those lowly schools with some ca$h. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:08 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

Three out the four are weak. You do have to consider that Syracuse had improved their program at the time these would have been schedueled and has since splipped backwards again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:17 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Very disappointing! I remember when Penn State used play teams like Texas, Miami and Alabama early in the season. The Big 10 hasn't been that good a conference the last few years so they need to schedule some decent non-conference opponents to get any respect. They don't deserve a major bowl game with a schedule like that even if they win them all.

I know it's not just Penn State. That's why we have half a dozen 1 loss teams and a BCS joke every year; because teams don't schedule tough non-conference games like they used to. Everyone is afraid to schedule them because they might get beat. Everyone is content to schedule 4 easy victories at the begining of the season, then win just 2 conference games and you're qualified for a bowl. The only matchup of inter-conference powers I remember from last year was the USC-Ohio St. game.

:rant:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:35 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

I read on the net the other day that Penn State was trying to get a 1-game deal with an ACC team to improve the schedule like they did with Oregon State last year, but no one would bite. Probably because our stupid athletic department claims thay have to have "7.5" home games every year. :roll:

And I blame Syracuse for this. They went 10-3 the year we scheduled them, and now they suck! :ahhh:

DrakPak wrote:
That's quite maganimous of PSU to grace those lowly schools with some ca$h. :roll:

We're not the only team that does crap like this. :ahhhh: :ahhh:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:42 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

hotrodney wrote:
Very disappointing! I remember when Penn State used play teams like Texas, Miami and Alabama early in the season.

They're playing 'Bama in Tuscaloosa next year. They'll probably lose, but regardless, I can't wait. :cheers2:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:54 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

That's why as a PSU fan you never get to excited about the early wins, no matter how many times week after week we here Joe say at his press conference how worried he is about the Temple Owls, etc,etc.

I did a little research of the Top 5 teams at the end of the 2008 season and their cupcakes (JMO and some experts) for 2009 and PSU does indeed have them all beat as to how many they play....

Florida - Charleston Southern, Troy, Florida International
Utah - Utah St, San Jose St
USC - San Jose St
Texas - Louisana Monroe, Central Fla, Texas El-Paso
Oklahoma - Idaho St, Tulsa

Some other schools....

Alabama - Florida International, North Texas, Tenn-Chatt

Ohio State - Toledo, North Mexico St

Michigan - Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan

(Proverbs 17:14)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:58 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

The season tickets have ZERO value. I don't give a **** about BCS, play the good teams.

I could dump the big 10 anytime and go back to the days of playing Pitt, WVU, Alabama, Nebraska, etc.

The basketball schedule is just as bad.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:00 pm 
Racer
Racer

DrakPak wrote:

At least they are on tv. Most other "high profile" college teams wouldn't want a game like that televised. They think, "it's not worth it". :roll:

Tweedlee wrote:
The season tickets have ZERO value. I don't give a **** about BCS, play the good teams.

WHAT!?!?! The Ohio State/Penn State game at Happy Valley will be well worth the money spent on a season ticket! The PSU/Michigan game in 2008 was well worth my season ticket price!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:04 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Tweedlee wrote:
The basketball schedule is just as bad.

You can say that again. :roll: I considered going up for a game, but not if Mount St. Mary's is the best they can get! :roflmao:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:21 pm 
Legend
Legend

BigNugs87 wrote:
BUT, do you realize how much money those "cream puffs" recieve playing PSU? They're on National Television playing Penn State with millions of people watching.

BigNugs87 wrote:
At least they are on tv. Most other "high profile" college teams wouldn't want a game like that televised. They think, "it's not worth it". :roll:

First off, these games are not on National TV. You don't really think that a PSU game against Temple is on ESPN down South somwhere when they have about a dozen or so games from the SEC that can be aired. ABC/ESPN airs most games regionally unless you have Game Plan.

Second, PSU doesn't decide whether or not to be on National TV, the network will put a game on nationally if they feel it will garner high ratings which will help increase their revenue from selling commercial time.

All of these confrences have TV contracts, the teams are not at liberty to pick and choose when they are on TV. And really, which of them would be stupid enough to not want to be on TV? TV helps recruiting and with income to the program, regardless of who you're playing.

Sorry, but the world does not revolve around PSU football.

:poking:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:30 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Bravo Lefty :clap: Im happy to see the world doesnt revolve around Cream Puff U ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:41 pm 
Racer
Racer

Quote:
Florida - Charleston Southern, Troy, Florida International
Utah - Utah St, San Jose St
USC - San Jose St
Texas - Louisana Monroe, Central Fla, Texas El-Paso
Oklahoma - Idaho St, Tulsa

Some other schools....

Alabama - Florida International, North Texas, Tenn-Chatt

Ohio State - Toledo, North Mexico St

Michigan - Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan

How many of those game do you think will be on National tv, such as ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 or CBS? Maybe one, if they're lucky.

The PSU/Syracuse game was on ABC last year and there was even bigger games on that week. The rest are on Big Ten Network, which is shown where Comcast Cable is. Comcast is not only in PA. :idea:

I'm just stating that those teams playing these "high profile" teams is helping the "creme puff" teams.Tv time, recruiting like you said, and MONEY!!

T.I.G. wrote:
Bravo Lefty :clap: Im happy to see the world doesnt revolve around Cream Puff U ;)

Shut up. You need to keep your mouth shut or keep away from this thread. You're a Buffs fan for chriminy out loud. Id shoot myself if I was a fan of that school. :bringiton: :poking:

Some people don't like PSU fans because of their "attitude" towards visiting teams. I can tell you one thing, we hung out with visting team fans on several occassions this year in Happy Valley. Throw the stereo-type out the window.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:45 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

People are more than willing to ignore the fact that EVERY school schedules cream puffs, if it gives them the opportunity to bash Penn State.