Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: RIP - Jim Johnson
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:46 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Not an Eagles fan but he was one of the best, if not the best, defensive coordinator ever! Always admired the way he would find a way to put pressure on the offense.

I heard a quote the other day from Bill Parcels where he said that Jim Johnson was the coach he feared the most to face.

RIP

Post subject: Re: RIP - Jim Johnson
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:09 pm 
Legend
Legend

R.I.P. Mr. Johnson...

The Philadelphia Eagles are saddened to announce Jim Johnson has passed away Tuesday afternoon at the age of 68 after a courageous battle with cancer.

A veteran of 22 years as an NFL assistant, Johnson is regarded as one of the top defensive masterminds in National Football League history. Over the last decade, he gained a great deal of praise as the orchestrator of the renowned Eagles defense. His aggressive style kept Philadelphia at or near the top of the NFL in nearly every major defensive category since joining Andy Reid's staff on January 22, 1999.

Jim Johnson was beloved by his colleagues, players
From 2000-08, Johnson's units ranked second in the NFL in sacks (390), 3rd down efficiency (34.0%) and red zone touchdown percentage (43.9%), and fourth in fewest points allowed (17.7 per game). During his 10-year tenure in Philadelphia, the Eagles earned seven playoff berths, five trips to the NFC Championship game and one Super Bowl appearance (following the 2004 season).

As the Eagles' defensive chief, Johnson's defense has produced 26 Pro Bowl selections: Brian Dawkins (7), Troy Vincent (5), Jeremiah Trotter (4), Hugh Douglas (3), Lito Sheppard (2), Asante Samuel (1), Trent Cole (1), Michael Lewis (1), Corey Simon (1), and Bobby Taylor (1).

Four of his defensive assistants have gone on to successful careers with other NFL franchises: Steve Spagnuolo (head coach of the St. Louis Rams), John Harbaugh (head coach of the Baltimore Ravens), Ron Rivera (defensive coordinator of the San Diego Chargers) and Leslie Frazier (defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings).

Prior to his tenure in Philadelphia, Johnson served as the linebackers coach with Seattle in 1998. That year, Johnson helped the Seahawks register 10 touchdowns on defense, including eight interceptions returned for scores, second-most in NFL history. He arrived in Seattle after a four-year stint in Indianapolis, the last two as defensive coordinator. While with the Colts, Johnson helped them secure a berth in the AFC Championship game at Pittsburgh in 1995.

Johnson spent eight seasons with the Arizona Cardinals (1986-93). After overseeing the Cards defensive line for four seasons, Johnson excelled as their secondary coach, helping Aeneas Williams become the first rookie cornerback to lead the league in interceptions (6) since 1981.

Johnson began his coaching career as head coach at Missouri Southern (1967-68), before serving four-year tenures at Drake and Indiana. From 1977-83, Johnson served as defensive coordinator and assistant head coach at Notre Dame, a stint that included a national championship in 1977.

An all-conference quarterback himself at Missouri (where he played in the same backfield with long-time NFL executive Bill Tobin), Johnson went on to spend two seasons with Buffalo as a tight end (1963-64).

A native of Maywood, IL, Johnson (born 5/26/41) earned a bachelor's degree in education and a master's degree in physical education from Missouri.

Johnson is survived by his wife, Vicky, two children, Scott and Michelle, and four grandchildren, Katie, Justin, Brandon, and Jax.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:31 pm 
Legend
Legend

RIP Jim.

SAVE Our Farmland, Forrests and Dirt Tracks!

Freedom Is NOT Free!

RIP Billy Kimmel - Gone but not forgotten!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:54 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

RIP.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:55 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

The Eagles took the "interum" title off of McDermot the other day and the writing was on the wall. Jim was one of the few coaches here in Philly that was never ripped by the fans or media. R.I.P. Coach.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:15 am 
R.I.P coach, They should run an all out blitz the first play of the season.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:11 am 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

No matter what team you support you have to give props to one of the best defensive minds in the game. RIP Jim.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:15 am 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Yes i would have to agree i am not an eagle fan at all but Jim Johnson was for sure of the best defensive minds to ever coach in the NFL. HE will surely be missed by many!!!! RIP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:20 pm 
Racer
Racer

Nothing in Philly I ever admired much.....but Johnson's defensive tactics were definitely interesting and worth watching!

RIP

Williams Grove - 16.1 seconds = 173' per second = 117 MPH
Lincoln - 12.7 seconds = 145.2' per second = 99 MPH

2014 Attendance Log:

Port - 15
Grove - 0 drove there and changed my mind
Others - 0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:48 pm 
RIP Jim.. you were one of the best

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:54 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Sad to see him go. He was one of the best if not the best defensive cord. there was. RIP Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:13 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

This is a tough loss for us eagles fans. RIP Jim