Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFL Thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:16 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Did not have time to post prior to the start of the season. So, here is post week 1 review.

It is hard to make a overall assessment of a team based on 1 week. I practically watched every game via the NFL Ticket 1/2 hour a game replay. There are some teams that we know will be good. There are some teams that not so sure off yet. And then there are some teams after week 1 that we can bury right now.

Dead/Buried...these are the teams that there is no way they win division or get a wild card
Kansas City Chiefs - do they play any defense at all? The offensive output versus Baltimore was impressive. Or was this a signal of the loss of Bart Scott? Hope so. See ya next year KC

Houston Texans - Yes, I know that Jets have improved there defense but you could not even complete a pass. THe Offensive line was horrible. Obviously, this team should improve from it's week 1 showing (or should I saw lack of showing) but either way Gary Kubiac will be gone by the year. Plus, they are in a pretty tough division.

Cleveland Browns - they kept handing the ball off to the same guy and you couldn't figure a way to stop Peterson. They didn't even try to balance the pass to offset the defense. Eric Mangenius is in for a long year. No way they win the division or get a wildcard.

TEam that looked like dogshit in week 1 that will improve
St. Louis - The O-line got pushed all over the field. Steven Jackson had little to no running lanes. Bulger had not time to throw. They have a fairly new wide receiving corp. BUT, the defense did play pretty well and I have a log of respect for Steve Spagnola. The O-line should improve and this team could be a surprise.

Worst 1-0 team
No doubt about it - Denver Broncos....they are done.

Teams on a downward trend from 2009 and 1st week
Carolina Panthers
Arizona Cardinals (my prediction - will not make playoffs)
Chicago Bears

TEams on an upward trend
Da Jets
Green Bay
New England
Minnesota
Giants
Oakland (even in a loss looked good....they need to get a quarterback with and IQ higher than a possum)
on and on

Best 2 teams in football right now
Giants (that Defense is bad) - NFC
Steelers - AFC (until Ben gets hurts because they have a horrible O-line)

NFC Division winners and wild card
Giants
Atlanta
Seattle
Minnesota

Wildcard
Eagles
Green Bay

Sorry no boyz. The defense could not stop the vaunted TB offense led by Byron Leftwich and the O-line is not very good.

AFC

Steelers/Ravens ( toss up as the other makes the wildcard)
New England
Tennessee
San Diego

Wildcard
Steelers/Ravens division loser
Colts

I think the Giants are the best team in football due to their stiffling defense, power running game and Eli. In the AFC, no way Ben stays up right this year with the same pathetic offensive line in front of him. Plus, we don't have Byron Leftwich to help when Ben gets knocked out. NE doesn't have enough D. SD defense looked horrible in week 1, Jets have rook at QB. Either Ravens or Chargers....Let's assume the Chargers defense improves, so I pick them to get to the super bowl.

Giants.

Post subject: Re: NFL Thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:12 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

I agree with the NFC predictions.

AFC: Tennessee or NE in the Super Bowl. Roethlisberger won't survive all year unprotected by an O line that can't pass protect. Sooner or later he's going to get hurt. My pick is Tennesee, they have the weapons and the tools to win it all and they will beat the Steelers in a rematch late in the season. The Ravens D isn't what it once was but the offense is better and will be a factor as will the Chargers. JMHO.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:05 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Tweedlee wrote:
Kansas City Chiefs - do they play any defense at all? The offensive output versus Baltimore was impressive. Or was this a signal of the loss of Bart Scott? Hope so. See ya next year KC

offensive output eh?

was it the 188 total yards of offense or the 29 yards rushing that was impressive?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:08 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

I agree on all accounts. Definitely like the Tennesee philosophy and thought about picking them. The big difference between SD and Indy was I assumed SD would have homefield over Tenn. Plus, SD has more weapons and assumed there defense would come around once Merriman gets back into the flow. I don't think New England will have enough defense to get to the bowl. Of note, Baltimore will put up some points this year. There O-line may be the best in the NFL. Rookie Oher is going to be a pro bowler in time.

Steelers have all the tools except for one important aspect; O-line. That O-line is one of the worst, if not the worst, in the NFL. Bottomline, we caught all the right breaks to win the Super Bowl last year. I take it but facts are facts. THis years we have a great QB, adaquate RB, solid WR's, great defense, much improved special teams....all the tools but that fn O-line. And management gave almost all them more money. Ben will not make it through the year. I was hoping we would pick up Jeff Garcia but that is not going to happen now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:13 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Highside21 wrote:
Tweedlee wrote:

offensive output eh?

was it the 188 total yards of offense or the 29 yards rushing that was impressive?

24 points (17 from offense) for a team that lost a great offensive weapon in TE Gonzalez, was starting their 2nd string QB in a new offensive scheme....vs the vaunted Baltimore defense......Yep, that was pretty impressive.

When you turn the TV on, try actually watching the games. eh!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:15 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Highside21 wrote:
Tweedlee wrote:

offensive output eh?

by the way...don't you azzwipe Ravens fans owe me like 3 cases of beer. you guys came on here last year blowing off about the ravens and we put you to bed....again.....just wondering...after the game there wasn't a one of you blowhards on the board....have a good day....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:19 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Tweedlee wrote:
Highside21 wrote:
Tweedlee wrote:

offensive output eh?

24 points (17 from offense) for a team that lost a great offensive weapon in TE Gonzalez, was starting their 2nd string QB in a new offensive scheme....vs the vaunted Baltimore defense......Yep, that was pretty impressive.

When you turn the TV on, try actually watching the games. eh!

as a season ticket holder, i was at the game and seen plenty, 7 pts from a blocked punt and 7 pts from an int returned inside the 5 yard line....

defense gave up a legit 10 pts and 188 total yards....

no need to get your panties in a bunch...just wondering what part of the 188 total yards was impressive...

and i have never bet any of the yokels on this board anything...ever

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:26 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

oh, since there are only like 2 or 3 ravens fans that admit it in public, I assumed you were one of the ones who owed me. My bad.....someone does though....send out the hunting party...

By the way, I did say "bury" KC didn't I? Lemme go back and check.

By the way homer, gettinig season tickets to a ravens game is prolly as easy as buying toilet paper at the grocery store. Steelers seasons tickets cost an arm, leg and index finger. Just sayin'

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:47 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Tweedlee wrote:
oh, since there are only like 2 or 3 ravens fans that admit it in public, I assumed you were one of the ones who owed me. My bad.....someone does though....send out the hunting party...

By the way, I did say "bury" KC didn't I? Lemme go back and check.

By the way homer, gettinig season tickets to a ravens game is prolly as easy as buying toilet paper at the grocery store. Steelers seasons tickets cost an arm, leg and index finger. Just sayin'

is this an official pissing contest??

yes, there aren't hordes of ravens in every nook of this country....and i like it that way....i don't like rooting for frontrunners...never have never will...

the pittsburgh steelers are like the new york yankees, la lakers or dale jr....all have plenty of fans that really don't know jack about the team/driver or even watch the sport all that much
(not that any of the steeler fans on this board fall into that category) i also realize there are tons of passionate steeler fans as well...

as far as tickets go...ravens have sold out every game since the team has been in baltimore and the p.s.l waiting list is about a 7-10 yr wait.... decent p.s.l in todays economy goes for about 3-5 g's right now and my season tickets cost $1800 per season

and lastly, im not sure why im being called a homer....i read your comment in its entirety, and only asked how 188 total yards was an impressive offensive output? :dontknow:

Last edited by Highside on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:51 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Any NFL team that goes 0-3 to start the season has not made the playoff since the salary cap started. 1-2 there has been 2 team that have made the playoffs with a 1st round loss.

Look who loss this week and their remaining two week opponents and you can eliminate about 3-10 teams from even making the playoffs this year.

nscbba.org

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:59 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Michael Root wrote:
I think New Orleans and Green Bay will win their divisions.

Me really likes Atlanta's formula - really good defense, good running game and a smart QB....but New Orleans is really good and could win it too. I dink TB stinks. Carolina could well be part of the 0-2 group after this week.

Green Bay/Minny ----toss up....i flipped a coin on that one...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:15 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Ravens did not impress me at all....If Casell would have played they would have lost...Root Packers need alittle work there o-line was not that good Sunday but defense was good but all that blitzing may hurt them against Vikes. I say Vikes win Diviosn Pack wild card

Lincoln-6
Grove-2
S-Grove-1
Susky-1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:09 am 
Legend
Legend

I think The Boys are Super Bowl bound :cheers2: :jiggy: :cheers2: Since the got rid of T.O. :laughing7: :poking: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:13 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

Stew69 wrote:
I think The Boys are Super Bowl bound :cheers2: :jiggy: :cheers2: Since the got rid of T.O. :laughing7: :poking: :mrgreen:

2nd that :clap:

-----------------------------------------------------------
Kevin Quirk Custom Signs
Race Graphics / Signs / Decals / Lettering
We wrap race cars . helmets . vehicles
http://www.kevinquirk.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:16 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Stew69 wrote:

:pinkelephant: :redpepper:

Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.