Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:19 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Kevin Harvick won his first race at the Winston Cup level in just his 3rd start at the 2001 Cracker Barrel Old Country Store 500. It was also an eerie coincidence with Harvick's win, on how it was the fourth race of the season, Harvick's car number was 29, Harvick started the race 5th, and finished 1st. When combining these numbers together, it forms Earnhardt's birthdate (4/29/51.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:23 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Also from Wiki...

Earnhardt drove the #3 car for most of his career, spanning the early 1980s until his death in 2001. Although he had other sponsors during his career, his #3 is associated in fans' minds with his last sponsor, GM Goodwrench, and his last color scheme — a predominantly black car with bold red and silver trim. The black and red #3 continues to be one of the most famous logos in North American motor racing.

A common misconception is that Richard Childress Racing "owns the rights" to the #3 (fueled by the fact that Kevin Harvick's car has a little #3 as an homage to Earnhardt), but in fact no team owns the rights to this or any other number: However, according to established NASCAR procedures, RCR would have priority over other teams if and when the time came to reuse the number. RCR and the Earnhardt estate do own the rights to various black and red #3 logos used during Earnhardt's lifetime; however these rights would not prevent a future racing team from using a different #3 design. (Also, a new #3 team would, in any case, need to create logos which fit with their sponsor's logos.)

In 2004, ESPN released a made-for-TV movie entitled 3: The Dale Earnhardt Story which used a new (but similarly colored) #3 logo. The movie was a sympathetic portrayal of Earnhardt's life, but the producers were sued for using the #3 logo. In December 2006, the ESPN lawsuit was settled, but details were not released to the public.

It is generally believed that current NASCAR owners have agreed never to use the #3 in Sprint Cup competition again, although this is not official NASCAR policy. Dale Earnhardt Jr. made two special appearances in 2002 in a #3 Busch Series car: these appearances were at the track where his father died (Daytona) and the track where his father made his first Winston Cup start (Charlotte). Earnhardt Jr. won the first of those two races, which was the season-opening event at Daytona. He also raced a #3 sponsored by Wrangler on July 2, 2010 for Richard Childress Racing at Daytona. In a green-white- checker finish he outran Joey Logano to win his second race in the 3.

Otherwise, the #3 was missing from the national touring series until September 5, 2009, when Austin Dillon, the 19-year-old grandson of Richard Childress debuted an RCR-owned #3 truck in the Camping World Truck Series.[7] Austin Dillon and his younger brother Ty Dillon have been driving #3's in various lower level competitions for several years, including the Camping World East Series.[8]

Richard Childress Racing entered the number 3 in the Daytona Truck race on 13 February 2010 painted identically to when Earnhardt drove it, but with Bass Pro Shops as a sponsor. It was driven by Austin Dillon. Oddly, the number 3 was involved in a wreck almost identical to that which took the life of Earnhardt: being spun out, colliding with another vehicle and being turned into the outside wall in turn number three.[9]

Only the former International Race of Champions actually retired the #3, which they did in a rule change effective in 2004. Until the series folded in 2007, Anyone wishing to use the #3 again had to use #03 instead.

In 2009, Tim McGraw released the song "Southern Voice", the song makes a reference to Earnhardt and the number 3 in the line "Number Three Drove it."

In the movie Zombieland, Woody Harrelson's character Tallahasee draws a 3 on his car doors. He does this to pay homage to Earnhardt.

The Christian metalcore band The Devil Wears Prada have a song titled "Number Three, Never Forget" in honor of Dale Earnhardt.[10] [11]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:54 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

:thinking: ... how soon after "the King" retires does the 11 get retired ...

... & I repeat myself: Retiring numbers in sports is just plain S-T-U-P-I-D Image

I Challenge anyone to give an example of a program that the government has managed efficiently and/or cheaper than the private sector. Please no enactments, laws or statutes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:59 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

:thinking: HEY, HARDDRIVE, "THE KING" ALREADY RETIRED!!! HE DROVE THE #43, NOT 11!!! FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON YOU HAD TO BRING AN OVERRATED PUNK INTO THIS DISCUSSION.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:02 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

THATS RIGHT, I CALLED KINSER AN OVERRATED PUNK!! WHAT HAS HE DONE WITHOUT UNCLE CARL?? NOTHING, COMPARED TO HIS CAREER WITH HIM!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:06 pm 
Legend
Legend

harddrive wrote:

... & I repeat myself: Retiring numbers in sports is just plain S-T-U-P-I-D Image

I don't remember Kauffman ever driving a #11. :thinking:

2014 races : 42

Port Royal 17
Williams Grove 18
Lincoln. 3
Trailway 1
Path Valley 1
Grandveiw 1
Hagerstown 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:12 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

i did not know uncle carl wheeled his sprinter for him! maybe he did a great job setting up the car, but a wheelman is the guy who gets it done!!! i think someone pooped in clayslingers wheaties, cause he must be frustrated typing in all caps!! :laughing7:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:22 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

I DONT EAT WHEATIES!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:24 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

clayslinger wrote:
I DONT EAT WHEATIES!!

well someone pooped in your food than!! calm down!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:55 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Brent Leach wrote:
harddrive wrote:

There is only one KING and he doen't reside in PA....look to the state of IN if you want to see the best sprint driver ever!!!!

As far as the best from PA it would be a toss up for me...but Rahmer has over 400 wins and Kauffman has 306.

Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:32 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

HEY, MOUTH, CHILL DUDE!!! I'M JUST IN A MOOD TO YELL!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:00 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

clayslinger wrote:
:thinking: HEY, HARDDRIVE, "THE KING" ALREADY RETIRED!!! HE DROVE THE #43, NOT 11!!! FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON YOU HAD TO BRING AN OVERRATED PUNK INTO THIS DISCUSSION.

:thinking: ... I hope you forgot to take your meds because 9:59 PM is a little early to be stupid :cwm4: or did ya just finish watching that tear jerking story on speed :jiggy: ... closet Ironhead fan Image

Brent Leach wrote:

... now, that's funny :pinkelephant:

I Challenge anyone to give an example of a program that the government has managed efficiently and/or cheaper than the private sector. Please no enactments, laws or statutes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:27 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

JNR6 wrote:
... There is only one KING and he doen't reside in PA....look to the state of IN if you want to see the best sprint driver ever!!!!

Well, we could debate that statement 'til the cows come home. :popcorn: :wavetowel: