Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:04 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

I could care less about PSU, OSU or whoever.

Tressel is what he always has been. Youngstown state to Ohio State to wherever. The infractions, although considered minor, were known and purposely withheld by the man at the helm. Yes, the infractions could happen anywhere in the country. The decision to withhold the information may not be the case. When it happens at one of the top programs in the country, the negative publicity "ain't going away easily".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:34 am 
Legend
Legend

we are talkin' rings, shirts and tats not drugs, rape and murder. :pinkelephant:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:14 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

hookedondirt7 wrote:
Penn State's entire athletic department has never been found guilty of a single NCAA violation

:pinkelephant:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:42 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Yeah, I agree. What the kids did was really minor and it was kids being kids. I think if Tressel acknowledges the infractions right away, they only get a slap on the wrist. Since his cover up, the NCAA won't let any stone unturned.

Penn State athletic department has been guilty of making some bonehead hires. (see Dechellis) I fear the next one (football) will be the worst.

I always wondered what Maurice Clarett knew? That man was begging to go to prison out of fear for his life. Not sure what was causing the fear.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:35 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Sea Bass wrote:
we are talkin' rings, shirts and tats not drugs, rape and murder. :pinkelephant:

What the players did is irrelevant. Tressel covered up what happened just to win football games and then he lied about his actions in December. You don't get away with lying to people in authority. The end.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:05 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Believe me, I am not trying to pile on even though i have always thought Tressel was a crook. I just thought this article from an OSU grad was interesting.

COLUMBUS, Ohio – “We live in a cynical world.”

That's one of the seminal lines of script from the movie Jerry Maguire which is essentially the story of sports agent Leigh Steinberg.

Sports agents are cynical but only marginally more than sportswriters. That's because we're all too close to the men behind the curtains; we can easily get glimpses of what's going on behind.

I don't like being cynical about professional and major college athletics and yet I often have no choice. I know too much not to be. Anyone who's been doing what we do for any length of time feels that way.

When you see enough smoke around any particular person or program, you know there's fire somewhere. And you have to try to communicate that the best way you can even though the specific things you've heard about may not be printable at the time.

That's why for the better part of a decade I've been writing and saying to every talk show host who broaches the subject that I think Jim Tressel is nothing but a slick, little con man. I don't care about the Ohio State football program one way or the other. But I've never liked this man being a figurehead of my alma mater. I was fairly certain something like this would happen eventually.

And people were almost always surprised. Coach Tressel? He wears such nice crisp dress shirts and sweater vests. And he has such a nice even-tempered personality. Oh, no, I don't believe that. He looks like such a nice man.

The last such true believer I encountered was a clerk at Barnes & Noble a couple of months ago. I was buying Joe Posnansky's terrific book "The Machine" about my childhood baseball team, the 1970s Cincinnati Reds and she remarked she was an Ohio native and I said I was an OSU grad and she gushed immediately about Tressel. As usual, I didn't try to really sway a sycophant. Just shook my head and said, “Nope. Bad guy.” And her reply was pretty much what's printed above.

I could've gone into it but there was a line behind me and what's the point anyway?

I could've told her the first time I sensed Jim Tressel was a lying, cheating fraud was August 2003 after The New York Times had released about a month prior: its expose on how Maurice Clarett was coddled and shepherded through his freshman year of “classes.”

It was the first day of the Big Ten football media conferences in Chicago. Tressel was on the podium. He had not been available for comment at such a venue since the story broke. I got the microphone and asked for his reaction to the allegations in the story.

His reply: “To be honest, I haven't read it.”

I wasn't expecting that. A longwinded rationalization, sure. But just stonewalling the entire thing?

“You haven't read it?” I said. “Are you kidding?”

“No, no,” he said calmly and evenly and continued that the athletic director Andy Geiger had purview on such matters and blah-blah-blah.

Right then, I knew: A. He was lying. No coach would avoid reading such accusations involving his biggest star player. B. He was a calculator, a manipulator and willing to do or say whatever necessary to best defuse any issue.

During the next eight years, I would see other examples of such audacious damage control. I would hear all sorts of other creepy-crawly stories from people in Columbus of stuff going on in the program that couldn't quite be proved.

But the P.R. spin of on-field incidents was all you really needed to see to judge Tressel's lack of integrity. Major college football is a tough, violent game and players' actions during the heat of battle don't always reflect their core personalities. That doesn't mean you can't admonish such transgressions and apply appropriate punishment. It doesn't mean you have to be an enabling apologist.

When Robert Reynolds was caught by network cameras choking Wisconsin quarterback Jim Sorgi at the bottom of a pile in 2003 to the point where his trachea was damaged, Tressel did manage to suspend Reynolds a game. But he was back on the field the next week because it was “an isolated incident and out of character for him.”

When Kurt Coleman took a running head start at a static pileup with a minute left in a 30-0 rout of Illinois in Columbus in 2009 and speared Illini back-up quarterback Eddie McGee in the head and then came off the field laughing about it, Tressel actually complained about the Big Ten's subsequent 1-game suspension of Coleman two days later. He issued a joint statement with OSU athletics director Gene Smith calling the suspension “poor judgment” by the league office.

Well, Smith got his, didn't he? That's what you get for blindly backing a scoundrel. The AD looks like a fool now for vehemently asserting on Jan. 3 that no one at Ohio State knew until December of Terrelle Pryor and his four teammate buddies selling OSU jerseys and rings and other paraphernalia for cash and tattoos. And Tressel had known for eight months and lied to everyone so that he could keep all those guys on the roster for the 2010 season.

Of course, he doesn't explain it that way. At Tuesday's OSU press conference he offered a litany of lame excuses. He didn't feel he could interfere with a federal investigation. He was “scared.” And the best one of all: He didn't know who to tell.

Really? Doesn't that sound like some college freshman trying to protect one of his buddies who got drunk on a Saturday night and sideswiped a parked car and drove off while he was riding shotgun? Jim Tressel, salaried at $3.5 million annually, director of the most lucrative college football program in America, one steeped in administrators and compliance officials, shepherd of and example to 85 “student-athletes,” withheld knowledge of misconduct clearly and unmistakably in major violation of the rules of the governing body of the sport.

Why? Because he didn't know who to tell.

Beaver Cleaver wouldn't have tried this. On the excuse feasibility meter, this is not even in the ballpark of “the dog ate my homework.” Hell, it's possible my dog could eat my kid's homework. He drinks from the toilet. He eats the polyester fill out of stuffed animals. It's possible.

It's even possible that Jim Tressel drinks out of the toilet. But it's not possible that he didn't know who to tell. That's preposterous. Unfortunately, we live in a cynical age made more so every day because people want to believe in public icons as paragons of integrity. And they keep being disappointed.

Here's my remedy: Choose your heroes from your personal life. And leave the prefabricated public image whores to us. Usually, we know who they are. Only too well.

David Jones - Patriot News.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:56 pm 
Legend
Legend

hookedondirt7 wrote:
Sea Bass wrote:

What the players did is irrelevant. Tressel covered up what happened just to win football games and then he lied about his actions in December. You don't get away with lying to people in authority. The end.

ALAWYS QUESTION AUTHORITY !!! :idea:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:40 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Yeah, man, fight the hand that feeds, rage against the machine and s**t, bro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:26 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Ohio St. got caught back in '02 with boosters paying players in football and basketball and all they got was a slap on the wrist. I hope the NCAA throws the book at them this time. They obviously didn't learn and think they are above the rules. Tressell also got Youngstown St. put on probation. No OSU isn't the only cheaters but they are among the worst. From various reports I've read, I'm expecting the hammer to come down on Auburn, Oregon and Tennesee too.

I used to be a Buckeye fan back when I was a kid, before I knew any better. Ohio St. + Jim Tressell = No class cheaters

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:33 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Tweedlee wrote:
Yeah, I agree. What the kids did was really minor and it was kids being kids. I think if Tressel acknowledges the infractions right away, they only get a slap on the wrist. Since his cover up, the NCAA won't let any stone unturned.

Penn State athletic department has been guilty of making some bonehead hires. (see Dechellis) I fear the next one (football) will be the worst.

I always wondered what Maurice Clarett knew? That man was begging to go to prison out of fear for his life. Not sure what was causing the fear.

The incident with Pryor being given a late model SUV to drive around in from a local car dealership isn't exactly minor IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:31 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

DrakPak wrote:
We'll see ya in the NCAABBall Tourney........nevermind. :handoverhead:

:jiggy:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:38 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

So...why is Tressel given a 2 game suspension and the players involved get 5?? :thinking: I don't have a dog in this fight but it sure makes me wonder... :thinking:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:58 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Don't be surprised that when the NCAA find more sanctions that Ohio State throws Tressel under the bus. Can you say Urban Meyer?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:12 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Drak

Say it "Urban Meyer"..."Urban Meyer". The crook is going to get caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6499662

This sounds awfully familiar to the Youngstown State case.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:39 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

mr. tressel just resigned

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next