Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: We Are
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:56 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

now that it's official i think coach o'brien said it best "We Are Penn State". i think the alumni and fans should respect the man and the school. i was a big fan of joepa and the traditions of penn state. sounds like that's not going to change as he mentioned the nameless unis, the plain helmets and the black high top cleats. hopefully the 3 yards and a cloud of dust tradition changes a little bit. the cheer originated as a symbolic statement by captain steve suhey to let the univ of miami and smu know that psu was a team and you play us all or you don't play us at all. those were two teams that had a difference of opinion with what PSU football was doing. in that case it was using black players. in this case it's making an unpopular hire at coach. miami cancelled that 1946 game. smu played it at the cotton bowl in 1948. what will those who call themselves penn state resemble? miami or smu? if you read and listen to the story behind it (search for we are penn state or Wally Triplett) you'll understand that it's not really We Are.....Penn State but actually WE....Are Penn State. all or none. while i can't put into words what i believe the difference to be i think people understand the difference. i say congratulations and best of luck to the new coach.

Post subject: Re: We Are
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:24 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

:yessss: :yessss: :yessss:

Very happy with the hire!!! Hope he brings in fresh blood to the entire coaching staff!! :thumbleft:

Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:23 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I agree that PSU needs some fresh new blood and mainly someone that can bring the offense into the 21st century. I hope O'Brien does well but I'm a little skeptical about this hire. What are his credentials and experience? The only thing he is known for is his fight with Brady on the sidelines. Yeah the Patriots have a good offense but they've had that ever since Bellicheck and Brady have been there so I wonder how much can be attributed to O'Brien. Quite frankly I think Tom Brady can make any OC look good. If he is successfull, he will be the first from the Bellicheck coaching tree to do so (Weiss, McDaniel, Mangini, Crennell). He also has no experience in recruiting which is a huge part of college football. I thought their were better candidates out there. I hope I'm wrong though and I hope O'Brien brings the program back to the level where it should be, yearly contenders.

I am kinda glad they went out of the box though instead of sticking with the same dull routine. Being conservative on both sides of the ball all the time was getting really stale and leading to some boring football. Run-run-pass(repeat) on offense and deep zone on defense. The soft zone and no blitzing worked against most Big 10 teams but every time they played a good passing team, they got picked apart.

PS. What would be wrong with adding a little bit of pizzaz to the uni's? I'm not talking anything crazy or a different look every week like Oregon or Boise St. but maybe adding the oval lion logo somewhere on the uniform and a blue stripe down the pant legs. I think that would go perfect with the start of a new era and hopefully an exciting new brand of football on the field.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:45 pm 
Racer
Racer

JNR6 wrote:

Very happy with the hire!!! Hope he brings in fresh blood to the entire coaching staff!! :thumbleft:

Keep hoping. Larry Johnson Sr. and Ron Vanderlinden are coming back! Johnson could most likely be the new Defensive Coordinator.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:50 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Former Auburn DC Ted Roof is the new defensive coordinator.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:59 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

BigNugs87 wrote:
JNR6 wrote:

Keep hoping. Larry Johnson Sr. and Ron Vanderlinden are coming back! Johnson could most likely be the new Defensive Coordinator.

They need to keep those two. I heard a rumor that it is likely. Not sure how reliable the rumor is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:31 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

BigNugs87 wrote:
JNR6 wrote:

Not so fast my friend.....Ted Roof hired as Defensive Coordinator!! The way it looks O'Brien will only keep a few of the coaches that were already on staff...who knows but he is cleaning a lot of clutter out of the house. :thumbleft:

Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:57 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

JNR6 wrote:
Not so fast my friend.....Ted Roof hired as Defensive Coordinator!! The way it looks O'Brien will only keep a few of the coaches that were already on staff...who knows but he is cleaning a lot of clutter out of the house. :thumbleft:

:thinking: ... read @ http://www.thestarpress.com/article/201 ... /201100312 ... "Strollo is the fourth assistant coach hired by O'Brien. Larry Johnson will coach defensive line, Ron Vanderlinden linebackers and Charles London running backs."

I Challenge anyone to give an example of a program that the government has managed efficiently and/or cheaper than the private sector. Please no enactments, laws or statutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:16 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

It makes sense he is really good friends with O'Brien.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/hom ... fense.html

TED ROOF is leaving Central Florida as defensive coordinator before he even coached in practice.
Roof has agreed to join Bill O'Brien's staff at Penn State, also as defensive coordinator, according to multiple reports.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:53 am 
Racer
Racer

JNR6 wrote:

Just going off what was said Saturday directly after the news conference on 3 differen't news outlets.

I'll take it. Auburns defense wasn't to bad. Some people are better assistant coaches than head coaches! Tom Bradley comes to mind. With the return of Johnson and Vanderlinden, the defensive line and Linebacker U will still be one of the top defensive front 7's in college football. Put Roof's ability to stop the pass with Johnson and Vanderlindens ability to produce a front that can contain the run and the defense could be sitting pretty.

Both Bradley and Jay were asked to come back but both declined. I don't understand why they both would be all bent out of shape. Neither would have received the head coaching job, regardless of being there for as long as they were.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:43 pm 
Legend
Legend

3 reasons for keeping coaches on staff:

1. Keep key defensive players from transferring.
2. Try to salvage recruiting season and hold on to as many verbal commits as possible at this point.
3. Nobody else worthwhile available and/or wanting to go to PSU right now.

Once the new staff has a foothold in recruiting the region I think the old staff will all be gone sooner than later.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:47 pm 
Racer
Racer

lefty wrote:

2. Try to salvage recruiting season and hold on to as many verbal commits as possible at this point.

Once the new staff has a foothold in recruiting the region I think the old staff will all be gone sooner than later.

According to O'Brien, Johnson was asked back Thursday night. That means he was the first coach hired. Vanderlinden was hired Saturday night, meaning he was second to return......Also, PSU has confirmed this. I'm still waiting for PSU to confirm all the reast of the hirings.

I really don't believe he is going to find a better two-some than Johnson and Vanderlinden who can recruit Maryland/Virginia and PA. Especially Northern/Western PA for Linebackers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:29 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

lefty wrote:

:thinking: ... 8 commits since hiring new coach ... read @ http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p= ... 88&yr=2012

I Challenge anyone to give an example of a program that the government has managed efficiently and/or cheaper than the private sector. Please no enactments, laws or statutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:28 am 
Legend
Legend

:thinking: January is when a lot of kids commit. Signing day is February 1 after all and eventually they realize the top programs aren't gonna make an offer so they have to go somewhere.

They are doing a fine job loading up on the 3 star kids. Better than nothing I guess. :laughing7:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:20 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

lefty wrote:
:thinking: January is when a lot of kids commit. Signing day is February 1 after all and eventually they realize the top programs aren't gonna make an offer so they have to go somewhere.

They are doing a fine job loading up on the 3 star kids. Better than nothing I guess. :laughing7:

:thinking: ... so February 1 is part of January :pinkelephant:

... point of post was .... Michigan 01/2012 commits = 0, Michigan State 01/2012 commits = 2, Ohio State 01/2012 commits = 5 ... etc., etc., etc. .. :poking:

... are you close to committing to Team N.H.U. :shifty:

... psssst ........ that be ..... Nittany Haters United