Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:13 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

just wondering how you guys watermark your pictures,I was looking at a racing web site and saw one of my pictures on it and I didn't give permission to use it.I know I should have done this sooner but until you see one of pictures it hits you then you better do something about.
thanks guys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:52 pm 
if you have Microsoft power point paste the photo in add word art the drag where u need it and it will keep the same color back round then hit the print scr button on your keyboard go to paint paste it cut out the picture copy it new paint paste and save

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:27 pm 
I've used words and logos for watermarks and people have still found a way around them......

The car photo on Chub's website had my logo in the lower left at one time, but it was removed when posted to his website........ http://chubfrank.com/bedford_speedway_92107.htm

The following Mod photo on the GRS Modifieds website had words across the back until they blackened them out.......

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:17 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Jeff's right, contact the webmaster, but be nice... :) Sometimes photos are sent to a webmaster to post without the person who took them obtaining the correct permission. It is ABSOLUTELY wrong to knowingly remove a watermark though! IF you ask me, people can take whatever they want of mine for a website - no harm no foul... but printing them is another story.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:20 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

thanks guys I wrote an email to them and yes I was really nice about it.Hey Jason I was just on your site and you don't have problems with people that to you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:33 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

I use a transparent layer in Photoshop with my watermark on it. I have to place it on each photo however, so I really should look into running a script that automatically palces it instead.

http://www.brentsmithphotography.com

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:04 am 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

I post my pictires on my website and give them to anyone that ask the right to use them for their websites. but i do use a image optimizer to make the file size small. i use the one at xat.com to do it with. If people try to print out anything above a 3x5 the pictures get grainy. i also don't put my name on the picture. I know what pictures i took and i feel that if the webmaster gives me credit some where on the picture page is all i need. If you got into this to make money then you should get out. There is no money in taking pictures at the track. and you could get in a mess if you try to sell pictures anyway because you are taking away from the track photographer. They pay to have a stand at the track and try to make up what it cost them for it. and if you are selling pictures from that track then you are taking money from them. I have permission from Len the track photographer at trailways to take pictures there. and all my pictures i sell go thru him for the prints. He has sold some of my work. So maybe you should ask if you can take pictures. People like Greg and Chad and others have press passes to give them permission to take pictures. So if you don't have permission and don't have a pres pass to take pictures and someone takes them from you. does it matter you stoled them anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:47 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

thats fine NYracefan i understand. someone used one of mine the other week and it ****** me off till i checked my pm's and saw he did ask but did not wait for me to tell them ok went and used it anyway. i did pm him back and say it was ok and i would have done that anyway but it would have been nice to wait for the ok. i guess one reason i don't put my name on is because i would forget who i said it was ok too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:35 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Unfortunately, the only real way not to have your pictures stolen by others is to not post them to the net. I dabble in photography & take quite a few pictures myself when I'm at the races when I can. I do it mostly for fun & to remember the moment. I'd be really ****** if someone took a paycheck out of my hand.

JD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:18 pm 
I use a digital watermark-- it is embedded in the image and cannot be seen but it allows me to track, to trace, and to identify my images no matter where they end up. It also allows me to self-destruct the images if I decide I want to do that. Pretty cool stuff.

Unfortunately, I can't turn you guys on to this app.-- it's not available to the public yet.... but there are other apps that can covertly protect your images.... digimarc embedded watermarks can warn against copying and printing as well as restricted use and adult content-- and I'm told that digimarc embeds can be traced as well ( although where do you find the software?). I think they can also be set to degrade the image file over time. At the very least, a digimarc embedded watermark is a way to wholly identify an image as your own-- which allows to you exert legal power over any entity that uses that image without permission. I used to use a digimarc watermark to great effect-- it helped me to get paid for several "stolen" photos. If you have Photoshop-- you have to ability to add digimarc watermarks.

I also include a tag too... with my name on it. This lets people know that the image belongs to me... if they decide to rip my image anyway, well... they've been warned ( in effect ) and so I don't feel so bad when I take action against them.

I might suggest too that some of you consider a text overlay.... put your name right across the whole image and reduce the transparency until it is barely visible. This sort of text "watermark" is really hard to remove in most cases.

I'll add an example of a photo with a transparent text watermark ( or two ), a tag, and an embedded digimarc watermark ( see if you can read the "invisible" watermark using Photoshop-- it will read "Imagebridge Demo, copyright 2008, restricted, do not copy"-- if I was still registered with digimarc I could put my name and all that jazz in there as well ).

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:47 pm 
Holy Crap! I just realized I posted a photo of a fendered car in the sprint car forum... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:27 am 
Studio 530 wrote:
I'm told that digimarc embeds can be traced as well ( although where do you find the software?).

The Digimark website is http://www.digimarc.com/register. A bit expensive for "protecting" images like the ones posted on this site. Are they worth protecting like that??? After all, it cost $499 a year. You can just add your own logo or copyright information to the image for free. Their covert watermark is good if you want to know who is using your images on their site but useless when it comes to stopping people from printing your images. Lets face it, these people steal your image and run down to Wal-Mart, CVS or Walgreens. Those places could care less about taking the time to see if there is a copyright attached to the image. All they care about is collecting the money. Now a pro lab would be different and they usually check to see if there is a copyright attached to the image and if there is they ask for a release to cover their butts.

Latemodelfan brings up a good point too but I don't think he understands the whole story. I have no idea why the grass roots tracks don't honor the very words in their own releases and contracts. Particularly those tracks that charge some poor fool rent, a commission or some other "licensing" fee to be the "track photographer". It has become rare to find a photographer who understands the difference between editorial rights and commercial rights and even more rare to find a grass roots track that enforces those usage rights. If you have a press pass you have editorial rights but not commercial rights. Check it out. Ask permission from the track and the track photographer who is paying the fee about selling your images.

Theres two more cents worth on the subject.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:44 pm 
harryinthedirt wrote:
Studio 530 wrote:
I'm told that digimarc embeds can be traced as well ( although where do you find the software?).

The Digimark website is http://www.digimarc.com/register. A bit expensive for "protecting" images like the ones posted on this site. Are they worth protecting like that??? After all, it cost $499 a year. You can just add your own logo or copyright information to the image for free. Their covert watermark is good if you want to know who is using your images on their site but useless when it comes to stopping people from printing your images. Lets face it, these people steal your image and run down to Wal-Mart, CVS or Walgreens. Those places could care less about taking the time to see if there is a copyright attached to the image. All they care about is collecting the money. Now a pro lab would be different and they usually check to see if there is a copyright attached to the image and if there is they ask for a release to cover their butts.

Latemodelfan brings up a good point too but I don't think he understands the whole story. I have no idea why the grass roots tracks don't honor the very words in their own releases and contracts. Particularly those tracks that charge some poor fool rent, a commission or some other "licensing" fee to be the "track photographer". It has become rare to find a photographer who understands the difference between editorial rights and commercial rights and even more rare to find a grass roots track that enforces those usage rights. If you have a press pass you have editorial rights but not commercial rights. Check it out. Ask permission from the track and the track photographer who is paying the fee about selling your images.

Theres two more cents worth on the subject.

Yes, the digimarc subscription is salty-- but that's not the software I was talking about. Someone out there has developed software that traces digimarc embeds--meaning you can find them anywhere on the web. It's an MIT thing I think. I think it would still require a registration however ( to allow you to embed to proper info ). Anyway....

I agree, the registration fee would not be worth the price to protect these Speedway photos... but it pays for itself in more lucrative photographic genres.

I think the key to prevent printing is to just to keep the images small. The cardinal rule is not to post anything to the web that you care about.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:00 pm 
Legend
Legend

I hate photos with big ugly watermarks...As long as they are on the side or bottom of the photo,fine. Once the WM covers up any of the cars,I don`t even bother looking at it.

http://www.jacksracephotos.net/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Racing-ph ... 6874310329