Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RACESAVER 305 Sprints
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:14 pm 
Hello,
I am looking for some feedback about the 305 sprints that run under French Grimes's RACESAVER sanction. How many cars show up nightly at a PA 305 Sprint Series races? What is the quality of these races compared to the 410s or 358s? Are they that much cheaper than the 410s or 358s?
I know that under RACESAVER last place gets 1/2 of what the winner gets. Does that work? Are these teams making a profit because of that rule?

Just looking for some info guys,
Thanks,
Tiffany

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:54 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

You won't make a profit running for $250 to win. It's a great series run by some great people. Tight rules keep everything equal. The best part about the series is that you can run everyone else's used up parts. It is not hard on equipment. The competition is very tight, although obviously not near the level of the 410's or 358's. We probably average about 26-28 cars on Saturday nights at Hesston, with Path Valley getting around 15 on Friday nights.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:01 pm 
how many races does a right rear tire last?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:39 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

We've gotten 5 features out of a used D10.It all depends on track conditions. Tonight we used up a used D10 in our feature.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:24 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

Pa305's are a great series. As andy stated your not gonna profit from only racing for $250. Its a pretty tough competition but you dont really have a single guy who dominates it because of how close and equal everything is. I have learned so much in just a few short weeks of racing. Its a great series for anyone who wants to run a full size sprint car with a working mans budget.

Ron Aurand #86

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:39 am 
what are the tire rules? how many compounds can be selected from?
how long can these motors be run?
can anyone shed any cost figures? how much do you put in a car? how much in motors?

thanks in advance guys,
tiff*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:28 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

i think the series needs a "home", like at selinsgrove or port, atleast running every other week on a track like that would reduce the amount of wrecks that goes on at path valley.

DDR MOTORSPORTS LLC CREW #89g
http://www.degracing.com
WAGNER MOTORSPORTS #55
www.portroyalspeedway.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:07 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

I don't know what thier schedule is like anymore, but they used to race every other week at Path Valley, and every other week at Hesston, so they actually had two home tracks. I like watching them at Hesston, saw some good races in the division there. The class has definitly grown since I first started watching them!

About how much horsepower do the 305's put out?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:17 pm 
Since it is somewhat on the 305 topic....does anyone know where to find a block for the 305's? My friend is looking for one and can't find one that matches the serial number specs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:34 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

The start up cost of a good car to run the 305 series in Pa. is about what you would pay for a complete 358 motor(dry sump). A good used rolling chassis(including power steering unit) can be had for around $4,000 to $6,000 complete(just install engine) ,maybe less if the car is older. A engine built to spec should run around $6,000,complete from injectors to oil pan, built from new parts,less if buying used. There isn't a tire rule.You can run whatever brand and compound you like,new or used.Throw in a couple more $$$ to buy spares. A good place to look for cars and parts(new and used) are places like Pancho's and Racer's Used Parts Warehouse. Also check out the race car flea markets held at local tracks and the Farm Show parking lot in November. About $12 t0 $15,000 should get you to the track.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:04 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Are the sprints that run in the VSS series in Virginia the same as the PA 305's? I see someone has a complete 305 operation on www.racingjunk.com for sale.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:49 pm 
Hesston runs everyweek unless there is a special race scheduled at grove, port, lincoln or another. path vallyey is down to every other week. as for tire rules there are none, any compound is allowed. motors can vary. ive seen people run motors 4 years old and win races and ive seen people change motors half way through the season, i believe you can build a strong motor that will last 2 years although it probably would hurt top freshen one up with new rings, or bearings. hp would vary between 390 being low and 425 being towards the higher end. these motors really dont need alot of money put into them. setup is a bigger factor than motor.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:51 pm 
T-440 wrote:
Are the sprints that run in the VSS series in Virginia the same as the PA 305's? I see someone has a complete 305 operation on http://www.racingjunk.com for sale.

they are the same. the pa 305 sprints along with many of the other 305 divisions were based of french grimes racesaver rules and vss. the vss run a heavier car without a front wing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:27 pm 
I was reading through the RACSAVER rules and I noticed it said that all engines must be sealed before they are allowed to compete. What is the point of this? Does this mean a racer could not tear his motor down every week if he desired to?

Thanks guys,
Tiffany*

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:47 am 
Rookie
Rookie

The purpose of sealing the engine is to discourage cheating. In the Pa. series, after you have built or rebuilt your engine,you must have it checked(teched) to see if it meets the series specs.After the engine meets all the requirements it is "sealed" using a lead and wire seal.They are placed on the heads,timing cover,and injection. With this engine package, tear down is something that is not needed to be done every 4 or 5 races like a 410. A engine will last the whole season,barring any failures inside the engine. The series will be at Port Royal tonight,expect about 30 cars to sign in. Look up the series organizer Tom Worrick,he will fill you in on any details.If you can't find him, look me up,I'll be at the #115 supersportsman,ask for Brad,I'll point him out for you.