Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:18 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Quite frankly, I think that Donnie Schatz is probably the best sprint car driver in the world. The guy has had an unbelievable year, winning the Knoxville Nationals from deep in the field and the most races. For much of the year, he seemed unstoppable.

However, I am appalled at his comments which were broadcast on winged nation today. He showed no professionalism and acted more like a spoiled child than a former champion. If I did not know any better, I would have thought that he didn't win any races. And I find it hard to accept that at no time has he formally congratulated the new champion, Daryn Pittman, who showed a lot of humility today.

It takes strong character to win with humility and lose with grace. I wish we could see more of that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:14 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

what were the comments? can we read somewhere?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:18 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Listen to winged nation before they interview Daryn Pittman. Basically, he states that people come in and win one here and there, and then they're gone. What is he talking about? Who is he talking about? Clearly, the context reflects Daryn Pittman. Is he implying that Daryn's championship was a fluke? Is he implying that Daryn is here today and gone tomorrow? Is he implying that Daryn does not have what it takes to last with the Woo? Decide for yourself. Regardless, I don't think his intentions were good.

Then, he comments that his team performed flawlessly. Ok, that's probably true...they had a great year. But then, he sums up his 2nd place finish like a kick between the legs, and next year, they are going to come out swinging. It is as if they just got crushed by their enemy. But they didn't. In fact, in Schatz's words, they had a "flawless" year..."they had the most wins, made the most money, & can display the most trophies." (He said this in another interview.) Why can't he recognize his success and someone's else's success at the same time?

I understand the mentality. It's win. Vince Lombardi had some things to say about that too, but I refuse to believe that winning is the ONLY thing. With this mentality, its all about me! Its a self-driven attitude with no consideration of the people you are competing against. You run your opponent(s) into the ground, and not care. Why is it that so many are not happy unless they win. Why can't people work hard, do their absolute best, and have grace & dignity with the results. Why? Because its all about me...nothing else matters.

Pittman said this after finishing 2nd at the national open. "I have never been so happy to have nothing for Fred...I was cheering for him all night...I was just happy to make both shows; its a tough field of cars...we came out with a good finish." Wow! That's a whole lot different than seeing 2nd as a kick between the legs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:09 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

If memory serves me correctly, he served up a similar whine after Doug Esh's rain shortened National Open win. So much talent with absolutely no class!

"Ladies and gentlemen take my advice...pull down your pants and slide on the ice."
Dr. Sidney Freedman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:49 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

With Schatz, I'm not sure there is any humility or class with this guy. At Knoxville this year, his PR rep came to the back pit area looking for him to take him to some sort of function for Knoxville. If we would not have been standing there, I don't know if I would believe it. Schatz stood next to his golf cart and would not sit on the passenger seat. It was dusty and he left is guy know about it too! His PR rep had to go looking for a towel to clean it off for him to sit down on it. Let me get this straight, you are in the back pit area at Knoxville, a dirt track, you make your living racing in the dirt, and you can't sit on a dusty seat on your own golf cart??

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:19 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Like I've said before, I'm all about drivers speaking their mind and not worrying about being politically correct. Obviously Schatz did that and he has every right to BUT I think what he said is whiny, classless and extremely unprofessional. Whether the system needs changed or not is a completely different debate but the FACT is, Daryn ended the year with more points than Donny therefore he is the champion. End of story. Schatz got beat in that particular department. Otherwise he had an outstanding year winning 22 races including Knoxville against the best in the business. He is no doubt the best of this era. Its just a shame he can't show a little class and sportsmanship. He can vocally disagree with the outlaw point system without detracting from what Daryn accomplished. I never was a Schatz fan and after this, I never will be. I hope this lights a fire under Daryn and he comes out next year and does it again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:26 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I think you are right ch_88. Schatz might have just ignited a fire in the Kasey Kahne teams for next year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:25 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

blaneyfan wrote:
If memory serves me correctly, he served up a similar whine after Doug Esh's rain shortened National Open win. So much talent with absolutely no class!

Pretty sure that was Dollansky.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:58 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

possefan wrote:
I think you are right ch_88. Schatz might have just ignited a fire in the Kasey Kahne teams for next year.

Let's hope so. Pittman is class personified. I really miss seeing him run here in PA every week but its nice to see him having success on the road.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:50 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

For him to jump into the seat and win the championship is darn right impressive. You have to be good from day 1. And he did that. Florida was a 2nd(ASCoC), 5th(ASCoC), 1st, 2nd and 5th.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:33 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

this is the same attitude that the WRG has toward racers. When they bought out the extreme late model series, they stated that the extreme teams would not be racing with the WOO for the most part because those teams couldn't handle the rigors of the WOO series like the "dirty dozen" at that time. WRG has alienated many people in the business and done their level best to "help" their full time guys at the expense of many local and regional guys. I used to love going to WOO of sprint car races when Ted Johnson was in charge. I realize he had his faults too but it was not the obnoxious holier than thou attitude that exists today. I still attend when I can but would rather see a regular show at the grove or lincoln or an all star race or a Lucas Oil LM race. I feel used when I pay for the WOO show these days.