USAC 2016

Discuss all of the dirt sanctioning touring divisions
justplanecrazy
Rookie
Rookie

USAC 2016

Post by justplanecrazy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:35 pm

Trying to plan our vacation for 2016 and our 1st priority is a trip to Indiana for Sprint week. Does anyone have any info
on this years schedule or at least an educated guess as to when it may be released. Also is there any truth to the rumor
that the Silver Crown cars are returning to Williams Grove as part of next year's Eastern Storm ?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Justplanecrazy

taurus014
Crew Member
Crew Member

Re: USAC 2016

Post by taurus014 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:46 pm

The USAC Silver Crown Champ Cars are confirmed to be at Williams Grove on Friday night June 10th.
With LM Speedweek at Hagerstown on June 11th, my guess is USAC would be at Port Royal on June 11h.

Now forgive me, but the Champ Cars are a different class than the AMSOIL Sprint Cars that run the Eastern Storm, correct?

justplanecrazy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by justplanecrazy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:24 pm

Taurus,

From what I now understand the Silver Crown race is part of Eastern Storm which is
scheduled for June 7 thru June 12. It looks like the Silver Crown race is in addition to
the the wingless sprint series. Would a double header night of Wingless Sprints and
Silver Crowns at Williams Grove be too much to hope for ! A Silver Crown race at
Port Royal would be awesome, and it would make sense to schedule more than one
Silver Crown out east if they are towing those little beauties all the way out here !
Any way I am really glad to hear that there will be an Eastern Storm in 2016 ! It was
my fear that Usac would not come back east after all of the issues with last year's
Eastern Storm.

Justplanecrazy

trecraft
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trecraft » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:53 pm

First race on the calendar for 2016, USAC Champ cars at the Grove on June 10. :yessss:

DavidM
Legend
Legend

Post by DavidM » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:06 am

taurus014 wrote:The USAC Silver Crown Champ Cars are confirmed to be at Williams Grove on Friday night June 10th.
With LM Speedweek at Hagerstown on June 11th, my guess is USAC would be at Port Royal on June 11h.

Now forgive me, but the Champ Cars are a different class than the AMSOIL Sprint Cars that run the Eastern Storm, correct?
Yes Silver Crown (Champ Cars) are different. About 1/4 size bigger than a Sprint Car.

The wheelbase must be at least 96 inches.
All cars must weigh a minimum of 1,625 lbs., including driver.
The maximum capacity of the tail tank assembly will be 75 U.S. Gallons. The minimum capacity tank allowed is 59 U.S. Gallons.
Engines must be normally aspirated, with pushrod operated valve mechanism, and have a maximum displacement of 360.0 cubic inches. Car also ned to have on board starters.

Stevie B at Terre Haute.

If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do" Warren Miller

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

supertc88
Legend
Legend

Post by supertc88 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:05 pm

NICE Picture! :thumbright:
Central PA - Home of the PA POSSE and the Best Dirt Track Racin' in America!

SAVE Our Farmland, Forrests and Dirt Tracks!

Freedom Is NOT Free!

RIP Billy Kimmel - Gone but not forgotten!

g2aacc
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by g2aacc » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:17 pm

DavidM wrote:
taurus014 wrote:The USAC Silver Crown Champ Cars are confirmed to be at Williams Grove on Friday night June 10th.

Yes Silver Crown (Champ Cars) are different. About 1/4 size bigger than a Sprint Car.

The maximum capacity of the tail tank assembly will be 75 U.S. Gallons. The minimum capacity tank allowed is 59 U.S. Gallons.
Engines must be normally aspirated, with pushrod operated valve mechanism, and have a maximum displacement of 360.0 cubic inches. Car also ned to have on board starters.

Stevie B at Terre Haute.

And NO Wing :broccoli:
Second place is the First loser.....

CTtoPA
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by CTtoPA » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:06 pm

Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! I've only seen these guys twice. THAT in 2006 and NYS Fairgrounds in 2015. Cannot wait to see them revive this race!! I hope they convince some vintage champ owners to display their cars.
Better Living Through Chemistry

dsc1600
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by dsc1600 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:55 pm

I believe I read on indianaopenwheel.com that Indiana Sprint week will be July 8-16 next year. That would be consistent with this year. The Usac schedules usually come out this week at the PRI show.

Warthog
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by Warthog » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:10 pm

I'm puzzled. Put a 360 in a frame that's roughly the same size and weight as a 410, and people view them as second-tier at best, but put a 360 in a bigger, heavier car, and everybody's gaga over it? Even if one likes wingless racing (and I do), why is a smaller, lighter, faster wingless USAC 410 sprint car not of more interest than the Silver Crown car?

Don't get me wrong - I understand that the Silver Crown cars are the premier USAC division, and it will be cool to see something new that has seldom been seen in the area in recent years, but in the end, is there something about these 360s that makes them that much better than the 360s that everybody around here pretty much looks down upon, let alone a 410?

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, I really don't know - is there some factor here that I'm missing, other than the Silver Crown cars looking more like the "old time" champ cars? Just on the face of it, the high level of interest in the Silver Crowns seems to run counter to the prevailing idea expressed over and over on this board that faster is better, and 410s are faster than 360s. What is different about these cars, with 360s in them?
DavidM wrote:

Stevie B at Terre Haute.

Q: How is Central PA different from the Old West?
A: In Central PA, the Outlaws try to catch The Posse!

BigRightRear
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by BigRightRear » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:36 am

bingo...sportsman lap times at best

June 10 is a perfect opportunity to check out Trailway Speedway!
Home of the OUTLAW A$$WHIPPERS
Lincoln = 1845 ft. = .35 mile T3=124 MPH
Eldora = 2287 ft. = .43 mile T3=135 MPH
Port = 2716 ft. = .51 mile T3=TBD
Grove = 2792 ft. = .53 mile T3=135 MPH
Selinsgrove = 2847 ft. = .54 mile T1=136 MPH

2015: 43 Races
Grove: 17 / Lincoln: 13 / Port: 4 / Susky: 5 / Path Valley: 2 / Trailway: 1 /. ISMA @ Waterford New London: 1

DavidM
Legend
Legend

Post by DavidM » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:58 am

Here's the deal, Silver Crown or Champ Car run on bigger tracks Williams Grove, Eldora and Terre Haute are as small a track as you will see them on. Most all races are 100 laps or more and require a lot different style of racing then running a Sprint Car. You don't manhandle a Champ Car like you would a Sprinter, more of a finesse style. I prefer seeing them on a Mile Dirt track, but there still put on a good race on the ½ miles. 120+MPH average lap times on a dirt mile is pretty cool to see.

Also where a good Sprint Car race may take 8 or 10 minutes to run a SC race is going to last 45 minutes to an hour. Tire management and car setup for fuel burn off can make for an interesting race over the course of 100 laps. The race last year at Terre Haute was very good. The top 6 spots were in play over the last 25 laps as guys who were fast at the start lost the handle and guys who were running mid pack saved their stuff and made a charge to the front to finish in the top 5.

There is a bit of a nostalgia pull for these cars, at one time they were Indy Cars, and where part of the USCA Championship trail up till 1970.
If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do" Warren Miller

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

CTtoPA
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by CTtoPA » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:57 pm

3x the fuel and 4x the laps. Different strategy involved.
Better Living Through Chemistry

g2aacc
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by g2aacc » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:51 am

And no "napkin holder" :deadhorse:
Second place is the First loser.....

Warthog
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by Warthog » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:14 am

CTtoPA wrote:3x the fuel and 4x the laps. Different strategy involved.
I get it now. It's kind of the best of both worlds - the cool looks of a wingless sprint on steroids, with the race length, set-up and strategy issues of a top-tier Super Late Model feature. That could be fun!
Q: How is Central PA different from the Old West?
A: In Central PA, the Outlaws try to catch The Posse!