Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:03 pm 
Legend
Legend

One time this guy named Tyvek25 was starting a BIG sprint car team ..........and the rest is history .

Ooooops . Wrong kind of story I guess. :doh:

2014 races : 42

Port Royal 17
Williams Grove 18
Lincoln. 3
Trailway 1
Path Valley 1
Grandveiw 1
Hagerstown 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:35 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

when i was about 3 or 4 years old at port royal speedway i was a huge tim dietz fan. Him and my dad were good friends so tim let me set in his sprint car right before warm ups. I couldnt reach the pedals so he put blocks on the pedals and asked if i could reach the gas. I told him yes and proceeded to act like i was driving the car on a race track so tim told me that i was not getting the full experience. He then told my dad to pull the car back and they were gonna get a push truck to push me onto the track and let me take a few laps. I kinda laughed about it all until he actually motioned for a push truck to pull in behind me :shock: then he laughed and told me not tonight but maybe in a few years he would let me drive his car.i dont think i have ever been so scared in my life lol. Till this day me and tim are great friends and i have never forgotten that. The cool thing is May 24th ill actually have my first chance to run a sprint car around port royal speedway and the number will be 86 just like Tim. Hopefully he can stand with me in victory lane like i did with him a few times at port royal speedway.

Ron Aurand #86

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:44 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

I have many great times everytime I go to a track but the one that sticks out the most is one night at The Grove my parents and I were walking in the pits after the races and we had stopped to talk to the G-Man and he had flipped that night(typical night unless he won) and we were standing there talking for about half an hour or so and trailers were leaving left and right and his was going down the backstretch and they were honking the horn and waving bye to him and telling him to hurry up that they were leaving with out him. He turned, laughed and said, "Look at that! They are leaving without me! He goes they are mad at me again I know it! Looks like I will need to find a ride home!" Even though he knew they were leaving he still stood there and talked to us cause he knew his fans were more important! Truly a classy guy who is always missed! I am only 20 years old and the time I got to watch Kevin on the track was truly AMAZING and it's tough to find one out there like him today! Closest one by far would have to Brian Montieth!! R.I.P G-Man!!! :thumbleft: :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:22 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

I like many have several great moments that stick out in my mind over the years. But the one moment that really sticks out in my mind would have to be the first time I got the chance to sit in a Sprint Car when I was 10-yrs old. It was the Bauman Memorial All Star race at Lernerville Speedway in 1994. I remember it was the first time my dad and I knew that you could go into the pits after the races since we just started getting into the whole racing scene. While we were walking through the pits taking picutres of all the cars, we came up to the Apple 12 driven by Fred Rahmer at the time. While taking a picture of the car, Fred saw us and came out of the trailer and asked how I would like to sit in the car. Of course at the time I was in shock and couldn't believe I was going to sit in a Sprint Car. Fred then picked me up and and put me in the car while my dad took my picture. After getting out of the car Fred then invited me into the trailer and gave me an autographed picture.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:07 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

Way too many to even try to remember 'em ALL :drunken: . But, one that stands out was it had to have been sometime 86-88, it was a WoO show and there was rain. I locked my keys in my car and a driver :silenced: got em out for me. I drove home all the way back to Newport and on the 11pm news it was reported the race was going to resume so I jumped back in my car :car6: and headed back to the race (bout +/- 35 min one way approx). Unfortunately though I don't even remember who won the race. :doh: :shock:

Last edited by paposse_gettin_it_done on Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:10 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

Don't remember but they all start out the same. :cheers2: WE ALL GOT LIQUORED AND THEN :jiggy:

9-KOKOMO,IN
0-Haubstadt,in
0-Plymouth,In
0-Anderson,in
4-GAS CITY,in
9-PUTNAMVILLE,IN
3-BLOOMINGTON,IN
1-QUINCY,IL
1-Waynesfield,oh
1-LINCOLN,IL
1-Terre Haute,in
3-Rossburg,oh
0-Pontoon beach,IL
1-DANVILLE,IL
1-Paragon,In
1-LIBERTY,In
1-INDY MILE,In
15-different tracks,3 states

Total-41

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:10 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

With Todd Gracey on All-Star we got kicked out of a track I belive in Oklahoma

Lincoln-6
Grove-2
S-Grove-1
Susky-1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:22 am 
Legend
Legend

Way, way, way too many to relate on here, but if you get to hang around me long enough you will hear them all. Probably five or six times. :laughing7:
The most memorable thing for me was toward the end of 1961. Sitting in the 1080 just before it retired as Dave Brown was putting the finishing touches on the first Emrich #1 inside the Yorkshire garage. I was 8 years old and this thing had 45 or 46 checkered flag win stickers pasted back both sides. The new number one came out that week at the Grove although I don't think anyone knew it was going to be #1 because the car was still in primer. It won of course. I think after sitting in the 1080 as a kid may have been about the time I fell in love with the smell of rear end grease :dontknow: My wife says I need help :roll: I figure why bother at this point. :cheers2:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:48 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

racer9 wrote:
With Todd Gracey on All-Star we got kicked out of a track I belive in Oklahoma

Was that when the wrecker drop the car and a fight insued? :dontknow:

9-KOKOMO,IN
0-Haubstadt,in
0-Plymouth,In
0-Anderson,in
4-GAS CITY,in
9-PUTNAMVILLE,IN
3-BLOOMINGTON,IN
1-QUINCY,IL
1-Waynesfield,oh
1-LINCOLN,IL
1-Terre Haute,in
3-Rossburg,oh
0-Pontoon beach,IL
1-DANVILLE,IL
1-Paragon,In
1-LIBERTY,In
1-INDY MILE,In
15-different tracks,3 states

Total-41

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:57 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

yes sir areo thats the one ....wild night that was :D

Lincoln-6
Grove-2
S-Grove-1
Susky-1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:11 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

This one time at band camp... :shifty:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:30 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

My favorite moment occured last year at Lincoln Speedway. I took along three friends who had never been to the races before. They had never seen sprint cars race and thought it was going to be dumb. As soon as they saw the 410's take off in hot laps they were amazed. Then the feature came and I told them to watch the #21 fly around the top. Montieth instantly put on a show as he passed about 10 cars in 3 laps. He even had all of my friends standing up and cheering for them. In the end Montieth finished third I believe, and we instantly had 3 new sprint fans to our awesome sport. This year all my friends talk about is going to the races on Friday and Saturday nights :thumbright:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:36 pm 
Legend
Legend

Great story edge :D :cool:

Once the Green flag drops-well you know the rest! :thumbleft:

The first time you see a bunch of sprinters jumping on it at the same time,it seems like the whole world has gone crazy! :shock: :mrgreen:

http://www.jacksracephotos.net/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Racing-ph ... 6874310329

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:04 am 
Racer
Racer

When you are as old as some of us are and have been going to the races for almost 50 years....stories add up quick. The ones I had as a youngster still stick with me. Some of the cherished moments I have include meeting some of the legends of racing. Johnny Mackison...Bobby Hersh...Ray Tilley....Bob Brymesser...Leroy Felty...Johnny Grum..

Stories galore...most when I was just a kid.

Sitting in a diner booth with Leroy Felty getting harassed about being a Tilley fan.

Sitting in the Mackison / Tilley #1 at the McCoy garage.

Sitting in the Judges stand with Jack Gunn.

The rides to Selinsgrove in Duke Negleys GTO and Bobby Brymesser saying that the ride to the races was more exciting than being on the track.....Thanks Duke!

My first time at Port Royal...scared to death.

One of the best things ever was the internet and these message boards......MANY new friends have been made.....makes the racing that much better!

Williams Grove - 16.1 seconds = 173' per second = 117 MPH
Lincoln - 12.7 seconds = 145.2' per second = 99 MPH

2014 Attendance Log:

Port - 13
Grove - 0 drove there and changed my mind
Others - 0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:58 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

almost every night I attend a sprint race except ..

(early 1990's) Knoxville Nationals with Stevie Smith Hamilton 77 catching Kinser 11 and it starts raining with a few laps to go ... well Karl rebuilts the 11, game over ... but Moon had Karl's number if mother nature doesn't come to save his butt ... :cryinghard:

I Challenge anyone to give an example of a program that the government has managed efficiently and/or cheaper than the private sector. Please no enactments, laws or statutes.