Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Today in Philly
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:43 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Dirt_T wrote:
Just an FYI here .... 3rd all-time on the list of quarterback rushing leaders (behind Vick and Randall Cunningham) is Steve Young ... 722 rushes, 4,239 yards and 43 touchdowns. I'd say that dispells the myth of not winning a super bowl with a running quarterback.

Here's the list:

1. Michael Vick 4,948
2. Randall Cunningham 4,928
3. Steve Young 4,239
4. Fran Tarkenton 3,674
5. Steve McNair 3,590
6. Donovan McNabb 3,455
7. John Elway 3,407
8. Kordell Stewart 2,874
9. Jim Harbaugh 2,787
10 Greg Landry 2,655

Randall Cunningham played in 161 games he passed for 29,979 yds and that is 186 yds per game and ran for 4,928 and that is 31 yds per game. His highest rushing year was for 942 yds. He also had years of 624, 621, and 540 rushing totals. Randall was another run first and worry about the pass later.

Now lets look at Michael Vick in his 103 games he has passed for 15,945 yds that is 155 yds and ran for 4,948 yds and that is 48 yds per game. Almost double what Young did....Vick is a runnng qb and Young did at times but he was a passer first!!! Vick will tuck the ball and run most times when he is in trouble instead of trying to get it to an open receiver. Vicks highest rushing year was 1,039 yds. He also had years of 902, 777, and 676.

I would not classify Steve Young as a running qb. In 169 games he passed for 33,124 yds and that is 196 yds per and ran for 4,239 yds and that is 25 yds per game. Like I said not a running qb by any stretch....and a good bit of that came from being rushed and scrambling to avoid the rush. Highest rushing in a year for Young was 537 yds. He also had years 454, 425, and 415 rushing totals. Steve was more of a pocket passer or rolling the pocket than anything.

Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Last edited by BStrawser26 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:03 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Facts are facts. 3rd leading rusher among quarterbacks. Slice it anyway you like.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:10 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Dirt_T wrote:
Facts are facts. 3rd leading rusher among quarterbacks. Slice it anyway you like.

Yes facts are facts and Steve was not a run first qb. He always looked for Rice, Taylor, Owens or tight end Jones. Where Cunningham and Vick were/are run first and worry about the pass later. Young also played in more games than did Cunningham or Vick. I bet in your eyes John Elway was a running qb since he is on the list too.

Youngs highest year rushing is not in the top 4 for either Vick or Cunningham.

Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:32 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

JNR6 wrote:
hotrodney wrote:
JNR6 wrote:
Not with Vick at qb!!! I said it a long time ago they traded the wrong qb. :cwm4: :cwm4: :cwm4: :cwm4: :cwm4: :cwm4: :cwm4:

Yeah Kolb is really tearing it up in Arizona. That must be why the fans out there are calling for him to be benched. Meanwhile Vick has passed for 900 yards and rushed for 150 the last 2 games with very little protection. Yep it's the QB. :thehand:

You will never and I say never win a Supper Bowl with a running qb. That run first and throw last mentally will never work. BTW how many times has Vick been replaced this year because of injury?
I looked up the stats for both qbs and here they are.

Vick age 31 has completed 105 passes in 169 att for 1336 yds and 8 tds to 7 ints 85.3 rating
Vick has been sacked 7 times.
Kolb age 24 has completed 101 passes in 172 att for 1281 yds and 5 tds to 6 ints 77.2 rating
Kolb has been sacked 16 times. So who is running for there life?

Looks to me like they are pretty even. Vick being older and wiser :cwm4: :cwm4: Should know where not to throw the ball. Not only that but Vick has a lot more talent surrounding him than Kolb....I am talking overall talent from A to Z. I will say it again give me Kolb over Vick anyday!!! More of an upside with Kolb youth is on his side plus he is a pocket passer!!
I hate to tell it to you but the dream team is more like a nightmare!!! They have so many things to fix on defense and on offense that I am sure Andy Reid doesn't know where to start!!

So Vick has more passing yards and TD's in less games with a higher copmpletion percentage, more rushing yards and has taken less sacks...yep that looks pretty even. :cwm4:

I'll take Vick's skill set(arm and legs) over Kolb's any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Kolb is back-up material. He doesn't have a great arm- can't throw the deep ball or outs to the sideline. Plus he gets rattled easy under pressure. Philly knew that and that's why they traded him. His bread and butter is dinks and dunks over the middle of the field. It won't take long until teams move the safeties up or drop the LB's into the throwing lanes. Young is a vast upgrade at B/U and Kafka has just as good a skill set as Kolb. Getting DRC and a 2nd round pick was a steal for Philly.

Vick always looks to pass first, sometimes too long. He's also one of the fastest men in the league so why not take advantage of that? Scrambling for a 1st down isn't exactly a bad play.

I will agree with tweed that the eagles jumped the gun in giving Vick a big long term contract. There was no logical reason to do that when they already had him under contract for this season. However I've watched every eagles game and Vick is not the reason they've lost any of them. He's played his butt off even after a concussion and a broken hand. He's thrown a lot of picks but most of them were not his fault- either tipped at the line or hit as he was throwing. A couple were even off the hands of the intended recievers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:56 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

JNR6 wrote:
Dirt_T wrote:
Just an FYI here .... 3rd all-time on the list of quarterback rushing leaders (behind Vick and Randall Cunningham) is Steve Young ... 722 rushes, 4,239 yards and 43 touchdowns. I'd say that dispells the myth of not winning a super bowl with a running quarterback.

Here's the list:

1. Michael Vick 4,948
2. Randall Cunningham 4,928
3. Steve Young 4,239
4. Fran Tarkenton 3,674
5. Steve McNair 3,590
6. Donovan McNabb 3,455
7. John Elway 3,407
8. Kordell Stewart 2,874
9. Jim Harbaugh 2,787
10 Greg Landry 2,655

Randall Cunningham played in 161 games he passed for 29,979 yds and that is 186 yds per game and ran for 4,928 and that is 31 yds per game. His highest rushing year was for 942 yds. He also had years of 624, 621, and 540 rushing totals. Randall was another run first and worry about the pass later.

Now lets look at Michael Vick in his 103 games he has passed for 15,945 yds that is 155 yds and ran for 4,948 yds and that is 48 yds per game. Almost double what Young did....Vick is a runnng qb and Young did at times but he was a passer first!!! Vick will tuck the ball and run most times when he is in trouble instead of trying to get it to an open receiver. Vicks highest rushing year was 1,039 yds. He also had years of 902, 777, and 676.

I would not classify Steve Young as a running qb. In 169 games he passed for 33,124 yds and that is 196 yds per and ran for 4,239 yds and that is 25 yds per game. Like I said not a running qb by any stretch....and a good bit of that came from being rushed and scrambling to avoid the rush. Highest rushing in a year for Young was 537 yds. He also had years 454, 425, and 415 rushing totals. Steve was more of a pocket passer or rolling the pocket than anything.

Yes Randall and Vick are great running QB's but I think you are totally ignoring the fact that they are also great passers, 2 of the strongest arms the league has ever seen. It's not like they are running the wishbone out there. It just so happens that they are blessed with great speed and know how to use it. If Young or Elway had possessed speed like that, they'd be on top of the rushing list. Elway didn't engineer those comebacks by sitting in the pocket. He scrambled around to extend plays and ran for a 1st down when he had to, Young too. Vick was more of a runner than a passer when he was with Atlanta but if you watch the Eagles at all, you'd know that he stays in the pocket as long as he can and always keeps his eyes downfield when scrambling before he decides to run.

Look at Mcnabb. His career went down the crapper when he decided he was gonna beef up, get bigger and slower and stay in the pocket more. He was a dynamic player when he was more of a dual threat. As fast as D-lineman are these days and with all the blitzing, a QB who can also run is a huge asset.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:13 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Like I said you can have your running qb's. Fact remains a running qb has NEVER won the SUPER BOWL. You can have Vick the Eagles are the only team that wants him...he is injury prone and runs way too much. He will be lucky to make the rest of the season without some kind of injury that will keep him out of games. I have been Listening to Phila reporters this week and they are ready to hang Vick....they say his decision making has to improve and improve greatly in the RED ZONE if they want to win any games!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:33 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Winning a super bowl is a team effort. A QB doesn't do it alone. Marino, Moon, Kelly and Fouts never won one but Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer have. That should tell you something. Vick and Cunningham both have a higher career passer rating than John Elway who some consider to be the greatest ever. Cunningham threw for 30 TD's twice in his career, something Elway never accomplished.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:50 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Winning a super bowl is a team effort...but if you don't have a great leader and passer at qb forget it. Not a running qb like Vick and Cunningham. As long as Vick is the qb of the Eagles they will never win a super bowl.!.!.! Take it to the bank!!

Career td passes and yards

Elway has 300 and threw for 33,124......2 super bowl rings
Cunningham has 207 and threw for 29,979.....0 super bowl rings
Vick has 101 and threw for 15,945.....0 super bowl rings

What would you rather have? I know a running qb that doesn't have a chance at winning a super bowl. :cwm4: :cwm4: :cwm4: :cwm4: :cwm4: :cwm4: :cwm4: :cwm4:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:00 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

Vick's finest skill set involves raising, fighting, hanging, electrocuting and drowning dogs. He runs so well because he had plenty of practice running from the police.

He played like folks wanted him to until he got his BIG contract........now we are seeing the real Mike Vick. Freelancing, not taking care of the ball, etc.

The Eagles got what they deserve with Vick.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:30 pm 
Racer
Racer

DrakPak wrote:
Vick's finest skill set involves raising, fighting, hanging, electrocuting and drowning dogs. He runs so well because he had plenty of practice running from the police.

He played like folks wanted him to until he got his BIG contract........now we are seeing the real Mike Vick. Freelancing, not taking care of the ball, etc.

Will this change since they won today? I personally believe that Philly only won because Rex Grossman is awful!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:03 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

BigNugs87 wrote:
DrakPak wrote:

Will this change since they won today? I personally believe that Philly only won because Rex Grossman is awful!

rex and a poor 1st half was the reason! eagles shut out in the 2nd half, pretty sub par team if you ask me! but hey my skinnies played mediocre today! oh well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:13 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Haters are always gonna hate, whatcha gonna do? :dontknow:

Eagles win and everyone else in the NFC East lost. :redpepper: 9-7 is probably good enough to take the division this season. Fly Eagles Fly! :redwoohoo:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:12 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

When did the Giants switch divisions?

P.S. They are 4-2.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:50 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Yea The Giants are still in the NFC east and in 1st place with a bye this week . And they are getting a bunch of hurt players back after the bye . I'm not saying they will win the east but you never know .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:29 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Oops I thought the giants lost to buffalo, my bad. Still I'm not worried about them or washington. I think it's gonna come down to dallas and philly by the end of the season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next