Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Penn State topic
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:14 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

I don't usually quote Fox News :thehand:

Here's another log for the fire. "Word" of Jerry Sandusky :ahhh:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/25/sa ... ual-abuse/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:30 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

JNR6 wrote:
When you represent your school in sports you should be randomly tested.

In my opinion, this sounds like you are holding athletes to a higher standard than the average student? This comment really surprises me with your extreme conservative nature. In my mind, I have no problem with random drug tests for the student body, but why only athletes. Are they the only ones who have problems with drugs? Any student who takes a standardized state test is representing his school by far more important means than on the athletic field. Is the kid that aces chemistry class but fries his brain with his friends on the way home any less important to be caught and saved from destruction?

JNR6 wrote:
You know as well as I do athletes are treated much better and the discipline is much more lenient. If you can put it in the hoop, hit the ball with a bat, run fast, kick the ball or can run through the line and make people miss. You will get preferred treatment from the entire administration!! And if you are really good you will be treated like a king or queen!!

I can tell you, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that I was not afforded any special treatment, nor have I seen anything but strict enforcement of rules to student/athletes at the school I attended and coached at. I have seen time and time again kids being sat down from athletics because of disciplinary action for grades or other behavioral circumstances. I have also used and seen many times where the threat of losing participation time will generate additional effort in the classroom. But no rules are bent and no coach that I have ever played for or coached with ever went to a teacher and asked for leniency. Period. Does it happen, surely... but NOT FOR EVERYONE IN EVERY SITUATION as you are implying. Also, I don't think it happens any more for student-athletes than any other students.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:42 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

I have seen teachers/administration fall over themselves because the star athlete/athletes need help to stay eligible....or receive a more lenient punishment than the regular student. Does it happen with every student athlete no....but if you are a super star/any athlete, yes it does happen more times than would would care to count. I have seen it from my days in high school and throughout the years after then too at different schools.

No, I am not holding the athletes to a higher standard....they should be randomly tested. They are the ones on the field of play so to speak and representing the school. We had someone killed in my class our senior year in a car accident because of a mixture of drugs and alcohol. At one point this person was a athlete then quit because drugs were more important to them.
When or where did I say that students that don't play sports shouldn't be tested? I didn't!! I only said if you represent your school in sports you should be tested. I don't have a problem with students getting tested.

If it is like us at our work it cost 25.00 per test....and if you randomly testing everyone you would need to do a lot more per year. How much are schools willing to pay for all this testing? With us at work in one months time we could have as many as 10 to 12 test come back in a month and we have around 90 total employees. How many kids are in the schools? That could get very costly.

Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:47 pm 
Legend
Legend

I hear that the girls field hockey teams are the biggest drug users.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:20 pm 
Legend
Legend

lefty wrote:
I hear that the girls field hockey teams are the biggest drug users.

And the ones most likely to sleep with their teammates. :yessss:

2014 race count

Williams Grove-4
Lincoln- 18
Trail Way -15
Port - 1

40 races in 2013
50 races in 2012.
56 races in 2011.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:50 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

JNR6 wrote:
If it is like us at our work it cost 25.00 per test....and if you randomly testing everyone you would need to do a lot more per year. How much are schools willing to pay for all this testing? With us at work in one months time we could have as many as 10 to 12 test come back in a month and we have around 90 total employees. How many kids are in the schools? That could get very costly.

Then my solution is to only test non-athletes... I can assure you there is a much smaller percentage of drug users among student/athletes than the general student population. Get more bang for your buck.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:39 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

JNR... seriously.. are you reffing the Denver/San Diego game? The head referee looks like could be a twin...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:02 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

GasNGo wrote:
JNR... seriously.. are you reffing the Denver/San Diego game? The head referee looks like could be a twin...

Nope, I only ref high school basketball. They say everyone has a twin...poor guy!!

Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:41 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

TheKing11 wrote:
I am actually kinda pulling for Penn State. If those kids can pull it off with what has happened it will not only be great for them but great for the school as a whole. It is a great school and it does deserve better than what a couple of people did to put a black eye on the University.

Agreed, I resent the way JoePa and the whole university was tried and convicted by the media before everything was even known. What happened was an uspeakable crime but it was the action of one sicko and the inactions of a few others. Don't try to bury the school and tarnish a legendary coach who mostly did things the right way. It can happen anywhere(look at Syracuse right now) PSU has one of the highest graduation rates of any Div. 1 school and they have never been accused or convicted of breaking any NCAA rules in any sport(1 of only a handful of major Div. 1 schools that can say that). I'll take them over cheaters like Ohio St.,USC, Auburn. After watching that Wisconsin game though, it's apparent that they need to get some better athletes to compete with anyone good. With this hanging over their heads now, that won't be easy. Getting the right coach with a good reputation to turn things around is extremely important. I was hoping they would land Urban Meyer but after seeing how many players got arrested during his tenure at UF, I don't think that is what they need right now even though the man is a proven winner. He is a better fit with the cheateyes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:48 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

JNR6 wrote:
I have seen teachers/administration fall over themselves because the star athlete/athletes need help to stay eligible....or receive a more lenient punishment than the regular student. Does it happen with every student athlete no....but if you are a super star/any athlete, yes it does happen more times than would would care to count. I have seen it from my days in high school and throughout the years after then too at different schools.

PSU didn't do that for Paul Jones, as badly as they need a QB.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:59 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

hotrodney wrote:
JNR6 wrote:

PSU didn't do that for Paul Jones, as badly as they need a QB.

Or Stephon Greene, or Austin Scott.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:46 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

My personal favorite was when they suspended players for a fight..... the suspensions were during the summer months. That really showed them!! Way to crack the whip!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:24 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

JNR6 wrote:
My personal favorite was when they suspended players for a fight..... the suspensions were during the summer months. That really showed them!! Way to crack the whip!!

They also kicked Phil Taylor and Chris Baker off the team for fighting, 2 starters in 07. Taylor transferred to Baylor(a Christian school nonetheless) and was a 1st round draft pick last year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:44 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

You won't hear about these ones but I can see it now. JNR6 lying in a hospital gravely ill,the doctors say we need to tranfer you to the Hershey Medical Center where they have doctors who are more experienced with the surgury you need. JNR6 says, "no thanks I would rather die here than be operated on by a Penn State doctor who may have been given special treatment just because he is good with a knife." One fact of life is that people who are good at what they do get better treatment than others no matter what they do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:01 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

I don't have problem with PSU as a college...but I have a big problem with the adminstration and with the old football coach at PSU....he swept things under the rug and didn't follow up on it with Curley and Schultz....Joe should have made a pain in the neck out of himself asking them....did you report that again and again until they say yes it is reported to the police!! Then over the next 8+ years letting Sandusky have an office in the football locker room even though Joe knew what Sandusky did from Joes' testimony in the grand jury report. No wonder Joe lost his job!!!

Longtime...Superstars or movie stars never get off with the crimes they commit by doing community service instead of going to jail?...or spend only hours in jail then promise to go to drug rehab and go for 1/4 of the time and go out and do the same thing over and over again!! What happens if that is the average Joe?.....try telling me another one that there are not 2 sets of rules for the superstars to the average person!! Go to the link I posted and ask yourself this question....are the rules really the same for superstars/celebrities?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 843AAzcWwl

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next