Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Re: James Harrison
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:32 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

In the wake of Crosby and other top stars concussions, i hear the NHL is going to change some rules to eliminate any contact with the head. That is going to change the "violence" portion of the game.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:46 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

Actually Highside I think Ditka advocates the no face mask for defencive players only. And doubt that he is against tough defence.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:12 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Removing the face mask would solve the problems of leading with the head completely. It will also lower the point of contact but removing the facemask must also be coupled with a redesign of the helmet and shoulder pads since shoulder pads are designed to protect the player being hit and not the tackler. I have more of a problem with the nfl not mandating or enforcing mouth pieces. I feel you would not see the number of concussed players if enforced since they are designed to reduce shock of lower jaw striking upper and not to protect teeeth.

my opinions take it for what its worth. Just for background , i played for 8 years with college experience and have coached football and lax at the high school level.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:39 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I'm not a Steelers fan but I agree with tweedle on this one. The object of the game for a defensive player is to put the guy with the ball on the ground. Harrison does it effectively and with more force than most players and this is what makes him a good player. From what I've seen he is not that dirty of a player and at least half of the hits he's been fined for were questionable. Once the QB starts running with the ball past the line of scrimmage he becomes a RB and if he doesn't want hit then he needs to slide. Intimidation is part of the game, as well it should be. Watch some NFL tapes from the 70's once and see the things they got away with. Players that were heroes back then would be kicked out of the league today.