Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:28 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

The number 6 in the first post that Toby drove in 1966 was sold to Dave Bolger and repainted number 18. The car is restored as the number 18.

The 1964 Regester car that Tilley drove was purchased by Pete Swarmer and finished second in points at Port Royal in 1965. That is the car Ruth has to restore. I will post some pictures when I have a little more time.

The Regester number 6 that Mitch drove in 1967 was also purchased by Pete Swarmer for the 1968 season.

Steve Swarmer, you will need to help us if this is not correct.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:46 pm 
Legend
Legend

:thinking:

2014 races : 46

Port Royal 19
Williams Grove 19
Lincoln. 4
Trailway 1
Path Valley 1
Grandveiw 1
Hagerstown 1

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:41 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

60s fan. Great model. I have a lot of old pics. PM me what you are looking For.

Thanks to all the members on the board for all the help. I was very young when I shot a lot of the pics-now I'm old and can't remember anymore :laughing7:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:13 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Correct to a point Brent. We bought this car and ran it in 68. Or I should say my grandfather John Schmidt bought this car and my dad Dave Bolger Sr. drove this car. Tobe said it wouldn't handle worth a dam and called it a mail wagon. Ray Tilley did drive it once or twice. We sent it down to Tobe's and he changed the front end and radius rod attachements. Dad ran it with a 327. It was orginally a 94" car but dad bent it bad and Tobe put a new clip on it. It was a 90" after that which was only legal at Port Royal. Pete Swamer said it wouldn't handle but Dad said it made it better. The other tracks had a 94" box frame rule. Port was the "Outlaw" track back then. Dad retired this car in 70 I believe and it sat in what is now our race car shop for a couple years, just the family garage back then. It was purchased by aguy, don't remember his name to run with the modified circuit. Years later a gentleman contacted us dad doesn't remeber his name. We gave him some pictures and he said he wanted to restore the car. Thats the last we know of it. I have not seen it restored. We have a picture some where of us bringing it home with all of us standing around it out in front of my grandfathers trailer park office. I'll dig out a picture of it with the #18 and Schimdt's trailer sales and Car Wash on the hood.

So Bob you are correct..................

Last edited by Dave Bolger #18 on Sat May 05, 2012 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:28 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

If someone could but me in contact with the owner of the car that would be great.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:40 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks Brent

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:57 pm 
Racer
Racer

60's fan has it right....64 # 6 to Swarmer....67 #6 to Swarmer.....obviously Bolger has it right...

Are we sure the 83 of Wales had any McCoy money in it? I know the car Wales ran is the late 1964 Sowers car that McCoy helped fund for Roger. Luther actually sold out at the end of 1963 when he sold the #1 #10 #83...his speed shop did not have race cars in it after that from what I remember.

I could be wrong, but I was really close to the 83 stuff as a kid......If Luther had money in that car, that is a new one on me! I was told he almost gave Rosel Dolin the #1.."Pay me when ya can"....so I wouldn't be shocked if he gave the car to someone????? Just talkin' out loud....

The 62-63 #83 became the red number U2....that car got bent up pretty good in the 1963 bridge crash with Bobby Hersh...

Williams Grove - 16.1 seconds = 173' per second = 117 MPH
Lincoln - 12.7 seconds = 145.2' per second = 99 MPH

2014 Attendance Log:

Port - 14
Grove - 0 drove there and changed my mind
Others - 0

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:21 am 
Legend
Legend

Thanks guys I wasn't a Port regular back then so unless they came south I didn't see them much. I just know Ruth has one and I was pretty sure it was opne that Swarmer and Tilley drove at some point.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:05 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Location: Friday- Grove infield Turn 3 Saturday- Susky infield pitstall #45
1080 wrote:
60's fan has it right....64 # 6 to Swarmer....67 #6 to Swarmer.....obviously Bolger has it right...

Are we sure the 83 of Wales had any McCoy money in it? I know the car Wales ran is the late 1964 Sowers car that McCoy helped fund for Roger. Luther actually sold out at the end of 1963 when he sold the #1 #10 #83...his speed shop did not have race cars in it after that from what I remember.

I could be wrong, but I was really close to the 83 stuff as a kid......If Luther had money in that car, that is a new one on me! I was told he almost gave Rosel Dolin the #1.."Pay me when ya can"....so I wouldn't be shocked if he gave the car to someone????? Just talkin' out loud....

The 62-63 #83 became the red number U2....that car got bent up pretty good in the 1963 bridge crash with Bobby Hersh...

I dizzy, lol... It amazes me how much y'all remember about these machines and where they were, who drove them, who bought them, what they looked like compared to how they changed, and even where these cars are now... Awesome stuff guys, this is by far one of my favorite forums to read on this board...

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:46 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

You could be right on the McCoy #83 car there 1080. I know we went to Lukes shop when he sold out, I was very young and dont remember the year. My dad had a garage and he bought a few small mechanical items. i am still thinking Wales ran a short while for Luke after Roger Sowers left though.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:52 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Here's a picture of it in the pits at Port. That's my father Dave Bolger Sr. in the picture.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:12 pm 
Legend
Legend

:thumbright:

SAVE Our Farmland, Forrests and Dirt Tracks!

Freedom Is NOT Free!

RIP Billy Kimmel - Gone but not forgotten!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:14 pm 
Legend
Legend

Using a good ole bottle jack. :laughing7:

2014 races : 46

Port Royal 19
Williams Grove 19
Lincoln. 4
Trailway 1
Path Valley 1
Grandveiw 1
Hagerstown 1

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:39 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

:thumbleft:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:02 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Handling was one of Toby's complaints, but the bigger issue with this car, with the BB motor, was keeping the driveline from breaking. They orignally had a closed tube rear-end, but kept breaking axles. (see second picture) Then they went to and open tube rear, but still had driveshft problems (see first picture w/knockoffs)