For You Silver Spring Old Timers

Discuss old school racing
Post Reply
User avatar
Scott Harro
Head Wrench
Head Wrench
Posts: 1989
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:03 am

For You Silver Spring Old Timers

Post by Scott Harro » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:30 pm

The first 2 are more as a view of the track. My First time there was in the 90's. hard to believe it's the same place. These were sent to me by a family friend of Ray Tilley and i do have a few more of Ron Tilley

FROM 1957 #43 Bob Gerhart #555 Jimmy Sheaffer #17 Ron Tilley
Image


FROM 1957 #78Ron Tilley & #70Ron Eichelberger
Image


#38 Billy Wertz
Image


#78Ron Tilley
Image


FROM 1960 #20Ron Tilley with future promoter Nick Turochelberger
Image
My OPINIONS are just that and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of anyone or any track I am associated with!

User avatar
supertc88
Legend
Legend
Posts: 14713
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: PA POSSE Country

Re: For You Silver Spring Old Timers

Post by supertc88 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm

NICE pictures of Silver Springs! :thumbright:
Central PA - Home of the PA POSSE and the Best Dirt Track Racin' in America!

SAVE Our Farmland, Forrests and Dirt Tracks!

Freedom Is NOT Free!

RIP Billy Kimmel - Gone but not forgotten!

User avatar
Stew
Legend
Legend
Posts: 15849
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:14 am
Location: 1 Speedway Dr. Lot 69

Re: For You Silver Spring Old Timers

Post by Stew » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:40 am

:thumbright:
Supporting The Sport We Love www.beerhillgang.com Beers Friends & 410's

User avatar
1080
Racer
Racer
Posts: 3282
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:54 am
Location: Somewhere in Carlisle...
Contact:

Re: For You Silver Spring Old Timers

Post by 1080 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:43 am

Excellent pictures...Thanks!

The 45 in the top picture is Joe Cekovich...the 9 may be the Highland's car driven by Billy McNair (?).

The 71 sitting in the pit in the one picture is Ken Hurley.

The picture of the 20.....the car behind it has Ed Leiss's name on it. He was just at EMMR on Sunday for the roundtable.
2016 Attendance

Speed Palace - 20

Susky - 1

User avatar
maddog
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: Palmyra Pa.

Re: For You Silver Spring Old Timers

Post by maddog » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:26 am

they are some great picures, thanks for posting :bdf: :bdf: :bdf: :bdf: :yessss:

User avatar
H4TPs
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: For You Silver Spring Old Timers

Post by H4TPs » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:04 am

THANKS for posting these pictures – they are FANTASTIC!

If you look closely, you can see why this time period is so extra special to those of us old enough to have been there. The cars are so crude by today’s standards and yet they can be so much more interesting by comparison. You can see just how badly they wanted to race by the way the cars are built. Some features make you scratch your head and wonder why they did it that particular way. Other features make you smile at the ingenuity. And, finally, some ‘safety’ features make the hair on the back of your head stand up (there can be no doubt it took a brave soul to drive those rigs)!

Thanks again for taking the time to post these gems, they always appeal to a wide audience and all of us sincerely appreciate the effort made to bring back this time period through images

User avatar
GOSHOW
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6374
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:04 am
Location: DOVER

Re: For You Silver Spring Old Timers

Post by GOSHOW » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:59 am

H4TPs wrote:THANKS for posting these pictures – they are FANTASTIC!

If you look closely, you can see why this time period is so extra special to those of us old enough to have been there. The cars are so crude by today’s standards and yet they can be so much more interesting by comparison. You can see just how badly they wanted to race by the way the cars are built. Some features make you scratch your head and wonder why they did it that particular way. Other features make you smile at the ingenuity. And, finally, some ‘safety’ features make the hair on the back of your head stand up (there can be no doubt it took a brave soul to drive those rigs)!

Thanks again for taking the time to post these gems, they always appeal to a wide audience and all of us sincerely appreciate the effort made to bring back this time period through images

"Ditto".... :clap: :clap: :clap:

grocery1
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:04 pm

Re: For You Silver Spring Old Timers

Post by grocery1 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:43 pm

I think sheaffer might be in the 55 car towards the back of the pack, and the 17 is i think Fulk.

User avatar
that guy 21
here for the beer
here for the beer
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: somewhere dirty

Re: For You Silver Spring Old Timers

Post by that guy 21 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:48 pm

Awesome! :thumbleft:

User avatar
Wax
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
Posts: 2471
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Etters

Re: For You Silver Spring Old Timers

Post by Wax » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:51 pm

WOW,way before my time there,i always wondered what the landscape looked like,especially outside of turn 3-4.thanks for posting. :carrot:

High in the first turn
Pit Member
Pit Member
Posts: 767
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:45 pm

Re: For You Silver Spring Old Timers

Post by High in the first turn » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Wax wrote:WOW,way before my time there,i always wondered what the landscape looked like,especially outside of turn 3-4.thanks for posting. :carrot:
Sure looks better than a !&^$#@^(*^ strip mall.

User avatar
Wax
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
Posts: 2471
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Etters

Re: For You Silver Spring Old Timers

Post by Wax » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:28 pm

High in the first turn wrote:
Wax wrote:WOW,way before my time there,i always wondered what the landscape looked like,especially outside of turn 3-4.thanks for posting. :carrot:
Sure looks better than a !&^$#@^(*^ strip mall.
















you got that right,i still have yet to set foot on that ground,since it's destruction.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests