Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Black and white shot
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:15 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I think this maybe a kings shot,But its not stamped on the back.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 pm 
Legend
Legend

NICE one! :thumbright:

SAVE Our Farmland, Forrests and Dirt Tracks!

Freedom Is NOT Free!

RIP Billy Kimmel - Gone but not forgotten!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:25 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

I remember those cars and drivers. Chuck Brannon won at Winchester, Va., the only time I went there, it was 1968 and thanks for posting the pic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:23 am 
Legend
Legend

:thumbright: :clap: :clap: :clap: :yessss:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:56 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Red was one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:32 am 
Rookie
Rookie

old racer wrote:
I think this maybe a kings shot,But its not stamped on the back.

Look at those wings! Gerald Chamberlain is leading in the Don Rice Ford 31 before they ever heard of him at Reading and the 49 is Bedford's Boyd Arnold in the OF Conner Hemi Hummer. Both cars were housed within a few miles apart in Bedford and any secret wing information didn't last long.

Boyd was later badly burned in an accident at Port with Mitch Smith. Conner then hired Milt Miller to drive and Gary Martz as head mechanic and the trio won the 68 championships at Hagerstown and Jennerstown. Boyd returned after recovering mostly driving the Ed Anderson 007.

Along with Red Ninniger and Chuck Brannon, Jackie Dennison drove the 37's also. They had 2 cars during the early to mid sixties and raced each at different tracks on Friday and Saturdays. Chuck told me they would meet back at the race shop in Winchester that night after racing at either Lincoln, Winchester, Williams Grove, South Penn, Bedford and would split the money...

EZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:07 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Not to contradict EZ too much but Milt didn't drive the 49 until the 67 season. Dad (Boyd) ran the #49 for the rest of the 66 season and then drove for Don Rice Ford in the #29 in 67. Ironically, the 29 that Dad drove was the rebodied version of the #31 shown in this picture. Gary Martz was Dad's mechanic in both 66 and 67 and then went with Milt in 68. About those wings. They both moved up and down depending on where the car was on the track. Up in the corners and down on the straights. I don't think it took them too long to figure out they really didn't have to do that.
In the newspaper clipping I have from the races that day, it lists Bobby Abel as the feature winner, followed by Hal Browning, Lynn Paxton, **** Tobias, Ray Dovel, Irvin King, Bobby Myers, Gerald Chamberlain, Paul Miller, and Red Nininger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:13 am 
Rookie
Rookie

dsa69 wrote:
Not to contradict EZ too much but Milt didn't drive the 49 until the 67 season. Dad (Boyd) ran the #49 for the rest of the 66 season and then drove for Don Rice Ford in the #29 in 67. Ironically, the 29 that Dad drove was the rebodied version of the #31 shown in this picture. Gary Martz was Dad's mechanic in both 66 and 67 and then went with Milt in 68. About those wings. They both moved up and down depending on where the car was on the track. Up in the corners and down on the straights. I don't think it took them too long to figure out they really didn't have to do that.
In the newspaper clipping I have from the races that day, it lists Bobby Abel as the feature winner, followed by Hal Browning, Lynn Paxton, **** Tobias, Ray Dovel, Irvin King, Bobby Myers, Gerald Chamberlain, Paul Miller, and Red Nininger

Hey Doug.. Stop over to the shop the next time you're in Bedford.. I was keeping it short with my paragraph and dates. I would still be typing.....

Gus left at some point in 67 to go south with Tiny Lund and Gary was in charge of both cars. The car your dad drove in 67 most likely was the car they said was buried by Don Rice's house in the back yard by what is now the Bedford Ford/Chrysler complex. We always said someone should have been stationed there fulltime when they removed Rice's house and excavated the lot for the Chrysler dealership 15 years ago....