Jan

Discuss old school racing
GOSHOW
Legend
Legend

Jan

Post by GOSHOW » Tue May 14, 2013 9:45 am

As of June 13, 1973 Jan Opperman had just won 7 straight features at Selinsgrove going after a record 8 set the previous year by Mitch Smith. Jan also won an AllStar race that weekend in Ohio.
Kenny Weld won Williams Grove and Hagerstown holding off Jan at the Grove for the win. Dub May won Lincoln...Wow what a great time the 70's were in Pa. Loaded with talent from all across the country. :yessss:

High in the first turn
Pit Member
Pit Member

Re: Jan

Post by High in the first turn » Tue May 14, 2013 7:31 pm

Reading about Opperman beating Osborne by writer Dave Herrold in the Sunbury Daily Item is what first got me to Selinsgrove and I haven't left yet!

Scott Harro
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by Scott Harro » Tue May 14, 2013 8:05 pm

GOSHOW wrote:As of June 13, 1973 Jan Opperman had just won 7 straight features at Selinsgrove going after a record 8 set the previous year by Mitch Smith. Jan also won an AllStar race that weekend in Ohio.
Kenny Weld won Williams Grove and Hagerstown holding off Jan at the Grove for the win. Dub May won Lincoln...Wow what a great time the 70's were in Pa. Loaded with talent from all across the country. :yessss:
Mike Lloyd in the Pappy Lloyd #56 broke Jan's streak on June 16, 1973 but Jan came back and won the next two and 3 of the next 4.
My OPINIONS are just that and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of anyone or any track I am associated with!

hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by hotrodney » Tue May 14, 2013 9:17 pm

I wonder if he got boo'd for winning too much. :laughing7:
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.

Scott Harro
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by Scott Harro » Wed May 15, 2013 7:55 am

can you imagine if message boards had been around in the 70"s

how many locked "he's a freakin' hippie" posts would bev have had to lock?
My OPINIONS are just that and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of anyone or any track I am associated with!

harddrive
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by harddrive » Wed May 15, 2013 9:05 am

Scott Harro wrote:can you imagine if message boards had been around in the 70"s

how many locked "he's a freakin' hippie" posts would bev have had to lock?
:thinking: ... maybe I have turned "the corner of life" since I recently cut my hair shorter than I ever remember Jan's being :laughing7:
Proud Member of Sprntlover's Babysitting Service
Pa Posse Says Race or Shut Your Pie Hole!
Work hard & become a leader. Be lazy & end up a slave.
I Challenge anyone to give an example of a program that the government has managed efficiently and/or cheaper than the private sector. Please no enactments, laws or statutes.

Buildy
Legend
Legend

Post by Buildy » Fri May 17, 2013 9:24 am

I don`t remember anyone really booing Jan back then. There were a lot of the old guard that didn`t like his long haired ways though. My Dad was one of them. He came home one morning after going to Susky and I asked him who won. That dam n Hippy he said. ;)