Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:11 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Re: Hal Browning
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:30 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Straight Shooter wrote:
Same car that Jay Myers drove before he got his ride in the Ole Yankee & The Rebel #98, soon to be Delly's Racer #35.

Jay never drove the "wedge car" either...Jay drove the second sprinter that dad built, after Browning and Pitzer drove it...Jay drove the sprinter when dad had a reverse rotation engine in it. Kenny Weld built the rear ends and that thing would fly at Hagerstown, for the heat race and about ten laps into the feature, then the rear would go out...never could get a rear end to hold up on the big half miles.

Special place in my memory banks for Jay and his crew..was about the age I started sneaking into the pits... :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:40 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Actually, I remember when dad retired that wedge car and Dale Cambell (most will remember him in the pits at the grove, lincoln and hagerstown), came by the house and hauled that car away. Dad just gave it to him for all the help he had given us over the years. I was told years later that he intended to restore that car, not sure if he ever did. I called Paxton a year or so ago inquiring as to it's whereabouts, but he didn't know. He gave me contact info for Bob Benchoff's son who he said might know of it's whereabouts, but I was never able to get in touch with him. If anyone knows of that car's whereabouts (is it still around?), I'd be greatly appreciative to know about it...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:02 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

All the years I was in and out the Tobias shop I would say the 69 is a Tobias car but not 100% sure..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:45 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I may be wrong but I think Dale Cambell's son Stan runs a 358. Perhaps he'd know where the car is or what happened to it.

PalmerSpecial wrote:
Actually, I remember when dad retired that wedge car and Dale Cambell (most will remember him in the pits at the grove, lincoln and hagerstown), came by the house and hauled that car away. Dad just gave it to him for all the help he had given us over the years. I was told years later that he intended to restore that car, not sure if he ever did. I called Paxton a year or so ago inquiring as to it's whereabouts, but he didn't know. He gave me contact info for Bob Benchoff's son who he said might know of it's whereabouts, but I was never able to get in touch with him. If anyone knows of that car's whereabouts (is it still around?), I'd be greatly appreciative to know about it...

2014 Races
Lincoln 4
Susquehanna 2
Williamsgrove Fri 2
Williamsgrove Sat 15
Hagerstown 2
Big Diamond 1
Path Valley 4
Daytona duals

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:56 am 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

I found two photos of the wedge car. Here is the first

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:58 am 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

The second is Hal after a Lincoln win

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:29 am 
Legend
Legend

NICE pictures! :thumbright:

SAVE Our Farmland, Forrests and Dirt Tracks!

Freedom Is NOT Free!

RIP Billy Kimmel - Gone but not forgotten!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:09 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

RT88 wrote:

That first pic is when it briefly had a big block in it...

The second one is actually a 302. They blew the 350 the week before and that's all we had to put in her...That was an awesome race as my dad tells it...Him and Kenny Weld changed the lead almost every lap, weld running the inside and Hal running the outside of the track to keep that 302 "wound up". The left rear tire, covered by my dad in that pic actually went flat in in victory lane..Weld had gotten into him a bit and the tube was actually sticking out of the wheel....One of Dad's local buds from Leesburg, VA, Bucky Tribby, was in our pit crew at the time and he was always a wise cracker...At the time my dad was the Service Manager at the Pontiac Dealer in Leesburg, Pocahontas Pontiac. And that was written on the back of the car. After the race, Bucky walked up to Kenny Weld and asked him if he could spell "Pocahontas" yet... :)

Folks in that pic from left to right are: Del Cambell, My Grandfather Wade Jr, Hal, My Dad Hampton (Wade III)

awww the memories...definitely the good ole days...

Last edited by PalmerSpecial on Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:06 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

PalmerSpecial wrote:
RT88 wrote:

....One of Dad's local buds from Leesburg, VA, Bucky Tribby, was in our pit crew at the time and he was always a wise cracker...At the time my dad was the Service Manager at the Pontiac Dealer in Leesburg, Pocahontas Pontiac. And that was written on the back of the car. After the race, Bucky walked up to Kenny Weld and asked him if he could spell "Pocahontas" yet... :)

Folks in that pic from left to right are: Dale Cambell, My Grandfather Wade Jr, Hal, My Dad Hampton (Wade III)

awww the memories...definitely the good ole days...
thats some good stuff there .........Hal
Browning was always my grandmothers favorite..(anybody but Abel) 2nd Rick Schmelyun,and for underdog sake Red Fouts like you said the good ole days... :pinkelephant: :broccoli: :pinkelephant: :broccoli:

I give up i want my free cell phones ,food stamps ,housing supplements, unemployment and what ever else the government will give me for free

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:31 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

RT88 wrote:

My favorite Palmer Special. :clap: Most everyone was switching to sprinters back then. There were a few "Bugs" still running,and this was one of the best. :cheers2:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:37 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Hi,Wade. this is Stan Campbell. Del Campbell's son. The car in question was in our family for years. Dad died in 1988 and us kids went our separate ways. As best as I can remember Bob Benchoff ended up with the car. When he died, I lost track of it. My brother told me that whoever took over Bob's stuff got rid of the car. I have talked to Hal a few times since then. Would like to see you and the family. Leesburg was a long time ago. I still race as much as I can. Would love to do a throwback Palmer Special. My number is 63. Would do away with the 3 to re-live the past. Call me at 240-675-3922.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:49 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Speaking of Bucky Tribby!!! That car went to Pocono when the 5/8 mile track was the only one there. Hal had raced Lincoln on saturday. They showed up at Pocono sunday morning. The car was dirty. The Pocono officials told them they had to wash the car. My dad and Bucky got a bucket of water and a few rags and cleaned the car. Hampton and his dad mounted 4 pavement tires and was ready to race. To my recollection, they changed the gear and nothing else. When the National Anthem began to play, Bucky whistled like a wild man. The music stopped' and Bucky ran the Rebel flag up the flagpole. They were the only people from south of the Mason Dixon line. As I recall, and I hope Wade or Hal help me on this, Hal was running near the front when the car broke. My dad would tell this story every chance he would get.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:02 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

flyinfossil wrote:
Speaking of Bucky Tribby!!! That car went to Pocono when the 5/8 mile track was the only one there. Hal had raced Lincoln on saturday. They showed up at Pocono sunday morning. The car was dirty. The Pocono officials told them they had to wash the car. My dad and Bucky got a bucket of water and a few rags and cleaned the car. Hampton and his dad mounted 4 pavement tires and was ready to race. To my recollection, they changed the gear and nothing else. When the National Anthem began to play, Bucky whistled like a wild man. The music stopped' and Bucky ran the Rebel flag up the flagpole. They were the only people from south of the Mason Dixon line. As I recall, and I hope Wade or Hal help me on this, Hal was running near the front when the car broke. My dad would tell this story every chance he would get.

Hey Stan!!! Piecing the story together...you got it right...and Hal wore out the first set of pavement tires in warmups, getting sideways on asphalt...they stuck on the second, and only set they had left, tweaked the suspension, and he was leading the race against all the OSWEGO type supers and blew the motor...the story I told above when they had the 302 in it was the very next week at Lincoln when he beat Kenny Weld..That year, 1970, and 1966 when they had the HEMI in it with Jackie Dennison behind the wheel (won like 20+ features), were by far the best years my dad ever had racing. Next time I'm over at dads house, I'll scan some pics of the HEMI and post 'em here...got a few stories about that car as well (involving Abel)

I remember when you guys lived in Middleburg and had the lil go kart track out in front of your house..has some fun there a few times...your dad was a heck of a nice guy. Dad tells the story about whenever anyone needed a part at the track they always looked up your dad, he never came back empty handed..

Dad built a brand new coil over car in 1981 or 1982, pretty radical for those days... and then my uncle, the one that worked with your dad, passed away and they never raced that car. It's 30 years old and hanging in my dad's barn, having never saw the track...he keeps encouraging me to put it back together..we have all the parts, but I'm busy with 5 kids and not so sure it would be competitive these days anyway...hehe

Dad keeps busy these days restoring old cars he has three vettes ('54, '69. '72) a '69 Grand Prix, and two Bonnevilles ('57 and '58)..

I'll give you a ring and we can setup a time to have you over to Dad's house and drum up some memories...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:27 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

I remember Frank sagi saying the Hampton Pontiac Cadillac Special.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:08 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks Wade. Sorry about so late getting back, but life gets in the way sometimes. I really believe the racing community is dying to see a piece of the past. Us old guys are fading away. We really should put something together. All the kids today have are stories. We should let them see what it was like back then. I remember the Grand Prix. I had dad's '70 GMC for a bunch of years but had to sell it. It was the only new vehicle he ever owned. And, yes, it was bought at Pocahontas Pontiac GMC in Leesburg, Va.