Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: National Open Attendance
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:18 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Does anyone know what the actual attendance figures were for the National Open. In my 40+ years of attending races at the Grove, I never saw the house packed like it was on Saturday night. What a sight! We are extremely fortunate to have the caliber of racing that we do in this area. Thanks to everyone involved for making this such a special weekend, most importantly, our drivers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:27 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I would love to see an aerial shot with all the campers and everything involved...had to be huge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:23 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

frejas78 wrote:
I would love to see an aerial shot with all the campers and everything involved...had to be huge

You're right! An aerial shot from Saturday would be awesome!

2014 Race Count

Volusia: 4
Lincoln: 9
Williams Grove: 11
Port Royal: 10
Susky: 3
Roaring Knob: 1
Path Valey: 1
Grandview: 2
Selinsgrove: 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:24 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Yes I too was wondering about the attendance. I was there and very happy to be a part of this historical event. All the employees of WG & WOO did an outstanding job both nights and what a showing of the Posse against the best in the world. I think I heard Bruce or Gibson say this was the largest crowd in the history og WG. Without giving numbers (confidentially) what has been the top five shows in attendance at this historical site. I remember being there for the 50th anniversary show in 1989 and at that time I thought "where would they have put more people"? My father and I was on the backstretch bleachers sitting elbow to elbow with all the seats taken and looking over into the infield and seeing it over flowing with people. Could the track historian come on here and give us some kind of numbers on what we were a part of? Thank You Williams Grove & all the competitors for an outstanding / awesome weekend of 410 sprint car racing. Definitely a weekend to remember.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:46 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

It was not the largest but had to be in the top five. There were a couple of AAA Champ Car races with the Indy starts that drew more people. Both of the Champ Car races had over 20,000. They said traffic was backed up to Mechanicsburg so people parked their cars and walked from Mechanicsburg to the Grove. Steve Bubb

P.S. a great showing of fans this weekend. The Grove was packed and Maple Grove NHRA show was packed all three days

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:51 am 
Rookie
Rookie

This does not pertain to racing...but what about the Metallica concert back in the 90's? I remember passing by the track and all of the parking lots were filled with cars. The cars were backed up from the backstretch entrance to York road. I bet that attendance rivaled anything.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:51 am 
Legend
Legend

I have seen some packed 4th of July Shows & even a Opening Sunday when it was 70 degrees that looked hust as packed , if not more :cheers2: :jiggy: :cheers2: Being the fact of less campers & chairs ;) :laughing7: :cheers2: :jiggy: :cheers2:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:08 am 
Legend
Legend

I brought a camper and THREE chairs! :poking:

2014 races : 46

Port Royal 19
Williams Grove 19
Lincoln. 4
Trailway 1
Path Valley 1
Grandveiw 1
Hagerstown 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:18 am 
Rookie
Rookie

WG hasn't released official attendance records since the Richwine era, but on at least 2 occasions, the 1947 sprint car season opener and a AAA stock car race in 1952, attendance was well over 40,000. The AAA stock race in '52 was for many years the largest crowd ever there with close to 50,000 people packed in the track

2014 Race Counter:
(as of 7/21)
Oval
9 - Lincoln
7 - Williams Grove
3 - Indy (IMS)
2 - Port Royal, Susky
1 - Hagerstown, Trail-Way, Selinsgrove, Mercer
1 - Duck River (TN), Boyds (GA), Bridgeport
1 - Lawrenceburg, Kokomo, Knoxville, Path Valley
Drag Racing
1 - Beaver Springs
Misc
1 - Harrisburg Farm Show Complex

http://www.twitter.com/blt77

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:35 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

BLT 777 wrote:
WG hasn't released official attendance records since the Richwine era, but on at least 2 occasions, the 1947 sprint car season opener and a AAA stock car race in 1952, attendance was well over 40,000. The AAA stock race in '52 was for many years the largest crowd ever there with close to 50,000 people packed in the track

I think someone posted an aerial photo from this era - perhaps the history section - does anyone have a link?

Port = 2716 ft. = .51 mile T3=TBD
Grove = 2792 ft. = .53 mile T3=135 MPH
Selinsgrove = 2847 ft. = .54 mile T1=136 MPH

2013: 49 Races
Grove: 25 / Lincoln: 13 / Port: 2 / Susky: 4 / Selinsgrove: 2 / Eldora: 2 / Lima: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:55 am 
Rookie
Rookie

If they made a deal with WOO to move the race up two weeks they could have that great turnout every year. Amazing what a good weather forecast will do for a race. Besides that, there are more race cars in the general vicinity (300 miles) because they are in from all over to race at tracks in Ohio, Indiana etc. but they seldom come this far east because of the cost and weather. So offer every non-outlaw that comes in from over 300 miles a hundred dollars tow money. Make it a big show instead of hoping its going to be a big show. Get rid of the lame fireworks and have a band play instead. Instead of holding up the show for a half hour while people cross the bridge, put two security people on the backstretch and let people cross on the racetrack. Saturday at 2PM would be a great time for a racetrack walk. Give everyone who does the walk a small baggie and let them collect a hand full of dirt from the "Worlds Greatest Dirt Track" and they will love it. This event could easily turn into a three day show with two sets of time trials on Thursday plus an "A" main for the top ten qualifiers from each night with the top 4 locked into Saturdays National open. Friday have your regular show and Saturday have the greatest show in the east! Just a thought or maybe it was a dream.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:31 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

racer33 wrote:
If they made a deal with WOO to move the race up two weeks they could have that great turnout every year. Amazing what a good weather forecast will do for a race. Besides that, there are more race cars in the general vicinity (300 miles) because they are in from all over to race at tracks in Ohio, Indiana etc. but they seldom come this far east because of the cost and weather. So offer every non-outlaw that comes in from over 300 miles a hundred dollars tow money. Make it a big show instead of hoping its going to be a big show. Get rid of the lame fireworks and have a band play instead. Instead of holding up the show for a half hour while people cross the bridge, put two security people on the backstretch and let people cross on the racetrack. Saturday at 2PM would be a great time for a racetrack walk. Give everyone who does the walk a small baggie and let them collect a hand full of dirt from the "Worlds Greatest Dirt Track" and they will love it. This event could easily turn into a three day show with two sets of time trials on Thursday plus an "A" main for the top ten qualifiers from each night with the top 4 locked into Saturdays National open. Friday have your regular show and Saturday have the greatest show in the east! Just a thought or maybe it was a dream.

:thehand:

Weather had nothing to do with the attendance and people didn't come to see the Outlaws.

Everyone came to see the "fast one" one last time before retirement.

:thumbleft:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:39 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Quote:
Weather had nothing to do with the attendance and people didn't come to see the Outlaws.

Everyone came to see the "fast one" one last time before retirement.

:thumbleft:

:thinking3: :bs:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:23 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I'm going to assume that was a joke otherwise lay off the drugs, you slipping out of sanity.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:46 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

I made the trip from Connecticut on a whim Friday morning because of the weather report. I've never been a Rahmer fan but it was pretty cool to witness him win his first National Open in his final try.