Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:51 am 
Rookie
Rookie

For the last year or two ive become very interested in these old abandoned/defunct race tracks. Have really enjoyed finding tracks on the aerial maps and have gained a ton of info on this message board so thank you. Finally got to check one of these out yesterday when i was in the pittsburgh area.

Greater pittsburgh speedway was a dirt 1/4 mi oval '57-'67. Then paved and run through '70 from what ive read. The land is heavily posted so i didnt want to push my luck and wander around too much. I snapped a couple quick cell phone pics before i left. Based on the aerial and entrance to the track it looks like i parked off the main road at turn 3. Anyone ever been here or have more pics/info to add? What a cool experience to finally see one of these old tracks. Wish i could spend more time there looking around!

Last edited by BlueOnBlack21 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:17 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Here is an aerial view of the track

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:26 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Looking up from the road at the turn 3 fence posts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Looking towards turn 4 and across the infield

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:31 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Looking toward the backstretch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:20 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

you should hook up with "high in the first turn" he has tons of info and pics of "retired" racetracks in PA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:45 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Nice pics.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:14 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Oops...must have missed those signs. Here are some pictures I took 2 years ago while visiting Pittsburgh Motor Speedway with the ARDC.

I was told that Heidleberg raced Saturday night and GPS raced Sunday afternoon and was shown live on TV. Appearantly it was common for the Saturday night celebration and the Sunday afternoon start to coinincide. Heidleberg was torn down and the lights and stands moved to Pittsburgh Motor Speedway which originally was to be bigger.

One of PPMS Late Models racers garage is across the road from the track.

There are a buch of old tracks out that way. There are still some remains of a track near Aliquippa.

I haven't updated my list lately but I've been to somewhere between 75-100 old tracks and have taken a bunch of pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:46 am 
Rookie
Rookie

is sad as it is too see, I love the pics and stories of old speedways keep them coming.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:00 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

that is sad but cool to see these places documented!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:28 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Greater Pittsburgh began life as a midget track. It became known for its super modifieds, including a driver known as Bobbie Adamson. It was tough going up against the PRA.

Another track to check out is the Mt. Nebo track across the river. It is an open area along the interstate. Others include Claridge which is a soccer complex. William Penn is now a senior home near Export. Rose speedway is housing along the Turnpike. Oakford Park is overgrown on the east side of Jeanette. The first Motordrome, the dirt track, is still there outside Ruffsdale. The Mt Joy track is now a pond east of Mount Pleasant. Turnpike speedway is now a business on Mosside blvd. Heidelberg is a shopping center while South Park is under the new high school. Braddock Park is a park at Economy. The Green Garden track is still there at the Ambridge Lake west of Aliquippa. New Kensington is under housing on the south side of the bridge. The Large track is ovrrgrown along Route 51 near Jefferson Hills.

some others in theregion Butler, the first track, is under the high school. A house is built on top of Motor Glade Speedway west of Connellsville. The first Latrobe track isunder growth by the creek off Route 981. Steve Bubb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:02 am 
Rookie
Rookie

RT88 wrote:
Greater Pittsburgh began life as a midget track. It became known for its super modifieds, including a driver known as Bobbie Adamson. It was tough going up against the PRA.

Another track to check out is the Mt. Nebo track across the river. It is an open area along the interstate. Others include Claridge which is a soccer complex. William Penn is now a senior home near Export. Rose speedway is housing along the Turnpike. Oakford Park is overgrown on the east side of Jeanette. The first Motordrome, the dirt track, is still there outside Ruffsdale. The Mt Joy track is now a pond east of Mount Pleasant. Turnpike speedway is now a business on Mosside blvd. Heidelberg is a shopping center while South Park is under the new high school. Braddock Park is a park at Economy. The Green Garden track is still there at the Ambridge Lake west of Aliquippa. New Kensington is under housing on the south side of the bridge. The Large track is ovrrgrown along Route 51 near Jefferson Hills.

some others in theregion Butler, the first track, is under the high school. A house is built on top of Motor Glade Speedway west of Connellsville. The first Latrobe track isunder growth by the creek off Route 981. Steve Bubb

Was Clairidge the track that was called "Mon-Duke"? I remember,Mon-Duke had an almost vertical grandstand!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:22 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

No, the two are about twenty minutes apart. Mon Duke has senior living housing built on top of it. The very steep hill that contained the grandstands remains.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:54 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

This is Mon Duke today. The woods behind it is the steep hill where they had the grandstands

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:56 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

This is how Claridge looks today