Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:40 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Any body else that attended agree the Flea market was rather disappointing? The main vendor parking area being closed around 8pm due to a **** poor job of parking, and wrongly thought to be full by who ever the "Boss" was according to the gate steward. There were atleast spots for 20-30 or so more small/med size rigs and they where all sent down to the lower lot which was then filled by about 7am and turned any additional people away. Does the Farm Show Complex not allow them anymore room then what was roped off for vendors? There where buyers parked outside the roped off area, I suppose they want to make sure they have plenty of room for the huge number or horse trailers they don't seem to get every year. Everyone stuck in the lower lot to sell got screwed, very little foot traffic and not able to roam around in the main area and purchase there needed items either. The lots where already clearing out by 1030 or 11am. Would the event maybe better suited for the Carlisle Fair grounds? I will say the amount of vendors was up and the amount of buyers on FRIDAY night was huge. The World Finals not being the same weekend helped a lot in both aspects I think. Still nothing like what Silver Springs used to be though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:41 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Would'nt say it was disappointing to me, seeing I was lucky enough to get in to the main lot, sell most of our stuff late Friday into early Saturday, and purchase everything I needed by late Friday night. But again, that was just me.

But I agree the situation prolly ****** off a lot of people. The upper lot where the big trailers park had plenty of room for more but they weren't parked side by side all the way so they could have gotten a lot more in up there. The rest of the lot was pretty tight though. I think this might have been a record year for vendors though so I don't think they planned for that. But sending vendors to the lower lot as early on Friday night as they did was down right an unfortunate waste of time for those folks trying to sell or buy. I don't have an answer but I'm sure glad we have a flea market that big.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:11 am 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

What they need to do is put the go kart stuff in the lower lot and all the car stuff up on the hill... I say this every year.. Or the other way around... Just makes more sense...But yeah.. I agree.. They could have done a better job parking the rigs.. But splitting it up would help a lot...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:31 pm 
Legend
Legend

heres how i see it....someone has to pay the rent for the top lot.....who do they pay it to? the farm show?
if there is an overflow and they have to rent the farm show lot, it would be my guess that they would end up paying a lot more to rent the lot since everything on the farm show grounds carries a large price tag.
perhaps better parking arrangements up top would be the answer but this year the sprint car guys were not at the world finals (meaning teams, buyers, fans) and the weather was the best it has been since the flea market moved....all adding up to more vendors and buyers.
hopefully they learn from this year and will be ready if it happens again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:52 pm 
Racer
Racer

I don't know who runs the flea market now but several years ago I believe Ken Riland parked the vehicles and it was done right and organized. The top lot was completely full and then the bottom lot was used. Some of the problem is that people don't know there are sellers in the farm shows main lot.

What they need to do is put a form on the internet, have sellers print it out and send in a check for their spot(s). For example, there is 150 spots, the first 150 spots paid for get a spot. When people send in their form, make sure they have their name and the size of their hauler that way you can have a parking grid all ready for when people get there.