Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Too young?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:07 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

I stumbled across this and was amazed he was only 11 years old, and been racing for 8 years. It sounds a bit young to be racing the "big" cars.

Is this more common than I think? What's your "professional" take on it.

http://www.tylerclem.com/

Post subject: Re: Too young?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:09 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

dude that's nuts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:00 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

The kid has won a few races so he's obviously no slouch, I see no problem with having someone that young racing if they can control and handle the car correctly. :dontknow:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:21 am 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Bobby Lake races crate late models at Roaring Knob and I think he is only 12 or 13 years old.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is radio personality Bubba The Love Sponges' son. He has a lot of racing experience for his young age, and is very skilled. I am not surprised that he is racing a limited late model at such a young age. I listen to Bubba enough to know.

Tizzy has many years ahead of him... Much success in the future. :cheers2:

"T-o-p-l-e-s-s.... TOPLESS!!"

"Take a nice cool drink..."

2014 Race Counter

Big Diamond - 1
Grandview - 6
Kutztown - 1
Lanco - 4
Lincoln - 1
Port Royal - 2
Reading Fairgrounds - 1
Shellhammers - 1
Williams Grove - 7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:20 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

he also races modifieds and sprint cars, has a few championships and 3 national titles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:06 am 
Legend
Legend

I have been watching "Kids" run at Trail Way for years. With their starting age 14 it gives our future stars a place to start. Been privileged to see Gerard McIntyre, Danny Dietrich, Arron Ott, Logan Schuchart just to name a few begin their careers and watch them grow to great men as well as great drivers.

2014 race count

Williams Grove-6
Lincoln- 21
Trail Way -15
Port - 1

40 races in 2013
50 races in 2012.
56 races in 2011.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:02 pm 
Legend
Legend

i believe age doesnt matter when it comes to handling a racecar if the kid can prove that he has the ability. i do think that if a young kid were to get hurt, there would be a chitstorm from the insurance companies and media and that could be real bad for the sport. when gordon started racing sprints and came to eldora at 14, they were not gonna let him race till jack hewitt stepped up and said the kid could drive....and we all know the outcome of that senario.
but what if a kid shows up at the local track after daddy spent big money to get the best stuff and the kid cant drive a drunk to the liquor store? or wrecks someone else and gets them hurt? does daddy get told that his kid sux and bring him back in a few years?
my thoughts are that if someone shows up with a very young driver, the team would have to come out, rent the track and show that he can get around with only him on the track. if he is accepted by management and a few drivers, he can come race but be on probation for 4 weeks and have to start in the back.
if he gets thru that, he can race and be handicapped like everyone else for his starting position.
if he cant handle any of it and screws up, dad either parks the car for a while, gets another driver or sells out and buys a car the kid can handle.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:23 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

c4 wrote:
i believe age doesnt matter when it comes to handling a racecar if the kid can prove that he has the ability. i do think that if a young kid were to get hurt, there would be a chitstorm from the insurance companies and media and that could be real bad for the sport. when gordon started racing sprints and came to eldora at 14, they were not gonna let him race till jack hewitt stepped up and said the kid could drive....and we all know the outcome of that senario.
but what if a kid shows up at the local track after daddy spent big money to get the best stuff and the kid cant drive a drunk to the liquor store? or wrecks someone else and gets them hurt? does daddy get told that his kid sux and bring him back in a few years?
my thoughts are that if someone shows up with a very young driver, the team would have to come out, rent the track and show that he can get around with only him on the track. if he is accepted by management and a few drivers, he can come race but be on probation for 4 weeks and have to start in the back.
if he gets thru that, he can race and be handicapped like everyone else for his starting position.
if he cant handle any of it and screws up, dad either parks the car for a while, gets another driver or sells out and buys a car the kid can handle.

I agree that there is some point where either maturity or simple physical ability (strength, reactions, dexterity) should be a concern for a young driver. The problem is that kids grow up at different rates. The bright side is that with a young kid, everybody knows to be aware, and the kid will be watched closely.

I think that if I were a racer, I'd be less worried about Daddy's dollars buying a ride for the kid, and the kid proving to not be up to it, than I would be if Daddy's bucks bought the ride for Daddy himself, and him not proving to be ready. The kid you know to watch, and if the worst happens, nobody will object to telling the kid "come back when you're older." It's much harder to tell an adult "come back when you're ready", I would think, because nobody wants to be the one to decide who is "ready" among adult newbies, and who isn't.