Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:06 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Hooked on Sprint Cars
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:39 pm 
Legend
Legend

What was your first memory of sprints? mine was Eldora Speedway may 21 1978 when King Of Outlaws won his very first feature event because i was on my way home from a business trip with my dad and and he said lets stop at eldora the woo are there; problem is i did NOT have a camera then after tghat i was hooked on Outlaws and saw them on tour ever since ! I sdaw over on HH so i thought i bring it on over :cheers2: :clap:

Kinser #11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:53 pm 
Legend
Legend

What was your first sprint race? :cheers2:

Kinser #11

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:56 am 
Legend
Legend

Hagerstown Speedway sometime in the Summer of 1966. Likely a mix of Sprints and 30x90's.

http://www.pbase.com/davidm2/
http://davidm.smugmug.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:12 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

My first sprint car experience was at Grandview Speedway around 1985.

Always the Sunday night show with the URC Sprints and the midgets.

What great shows they were with some big name racers.

Well...for me they were big names like Dave Kelley and Glenn Fitcharles (SP).

And in the midgets it was Johnny and Nick and many more of course.

Midgets were so cool with all the different motors competing against each other.

Great memories.

Loved Fred Rahmer in the R-10 modified. Out of all the cars he drove, I liked the Rio Brothers R-10 the best. :clap:

So I've been hooked since 1985.

So funny! :cwm4: My grandfather had a junkyard in Limerick and all these people would come in and buy all these junked up cars and called them race cars. I thought these people were nuts...buying cars that were no good anymore, didn't run and people called them race cars.

So funny...people paid good money for cars that my grandfather got for free...and this was after I shot up the windows and headlights with a BB gun. :laughing7:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:01 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I was a teenager and used to go watch the "Supers" at Sharon Speedway. Mac Clingan-Gib Orr- Dale Johnson-Henry Jacoby and some tall skinny kid named Lou Blaney! Clinton,Pa. and Bobby Adamson-Gus Linder and J.D.! Tri-City and TEDDY and Buddy Cochran later Ralph Quarterson.Saw Bob Burris at Sharon too. My H/S Football coach took me to see the "National Open" in 66-Lou Blaney won. Oh yeah it's still good! I still go watch the Supers run on Asphalt once in a while. Oswego is for sure coming back. You gotta catch D.J.Shulick in the Bodnar#94 in the winged cars.Whatta ride! The wife and I will be taking in a weekly show at Oswego this year.We went to the Grove for the last point show and my wife loved it! Wannasee the Supers at a GREAT short track-try Midvale in Ohio next year. 1/3 mile and tight but the Supers are great there. Did you know Dale Johnson is still alive! He's in his 90's and still goes to watch his 13 year ols Grandson race the E-Mods at Sharon Speedway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:22 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

I loved racing since I was a little kid, but had only seen sprint cars on TNN's 'American Sports Cavalcade' a few times before my late uncle took me to Lernerville Speedway in July of 1988 for a WoO race. Totally blown away by how fast the cars were, and how the were pulling wheelies down the straights. The feature that night was a 'Steve & Sammy' show, as the pair swapped the lead back and forth a couple times before Sammy prevailed in the TMC #1. Awesome show!! I went back the next summer, and have only missed 2 WoO races there since!! My best friend introduced me to the Posse at the Grove, Port, & Selinsgrove in our senior year in high school, and once I had a job & my own wheels, I've been hitting the road on the weekends ever since...there's nothing like sprint car racing!!! :yessss: :yessss: :redpepper: :cheers2: :cheers2:

Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pro ... 1321718744

2014 races:

Salamanca, NY - ISOC/ECS Snocross
Lincoln - 3
Port Royal - 6
Lernerville - 8
Mercer - 2
Williams Grove - 3
McKean County - 5
Roaring Knob - 1
Knoxville - 4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:20 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Lincoln Speedway, spring of 1965. They were "Bugs" back then, even a few coupes. I've been in love with them ever since.