Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:14 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Picture one was taken between turns 1&2.

Picture two was taken in front of the grandstand.

Picture 3 is the front stretch.

Picture 4 is the rear of the grandstand. The building connected to it is a farmers market that continues into the grandstand. Very long and large market with lots of vendors. Building to the right is the Lehigh Valley Medical Center.

Picture 5 is the tunnel to the infield.

Everything is pretty much intact. With some money they could race there pretty quick. Don't see it ever happening as it is in the heart of the city with a hospital directly across the street.

The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all.
Gilbert K. Chesterton

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:55 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

i don't see anything here,useful,kinda like obamacare.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:59 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Figures coming from the TIMMER

The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all.
Gilbert K. Chesterton

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:03 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

what i meant is there's no pic's,it's not working,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,like obamacare as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:07 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

That's funny, there's pictures on my screen.

Gilbert K. Chesterton

Mark Twain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:35 pm 
Legend
Legend

NEWBOMB TURK wrote:
That's funny, there's pictures on my screen.

There's pictures on my screen! :thumbright:

SAVE Our Farmland, Forrests and Dirt Tracks!

Freedom Is NOT Free!

RIP Billy Kimmel - Gone but not forgotten!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:14 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Wax wrote:
what i meant is there's no pic's,it's not working,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,like obamacare as well.

Try the ACA instead. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:02 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

the pic's are now showing on my screen,and i concur,you'll never see racing there again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here is some history of Allentown Fairgrounds Speedway & Agricultural Hall:

9/27/1919 to 9/20/1941
8/10/1968 to 8/14/1976 - 1/2-mile dirt oval

4/17/1964 to 1965 1/8-mile dirt dragstrip

1989 - 1/8-mile dirt oval (believe was only on the front straight of the 1/2 mile.

The Allentown Fairgrounds opened in 1889 and a horse track was added in 1901 with grandstands being added in 1908. Ira Vail was the first winner in 1919. Bill Schindler (9/20/1952) and Johnny Thomson (9/24/1960) were fatally injured at the Fairgrounds.

The track ran open wheel sprint cars. One of the two incidents I know for sure, the guy lost his head after crashing on the backstretch. My grandfather often told me that story. More information on this track is listed below which I had found from the Great Allentown Fair wiki page. The track grandstand is mainly used for concerts during fair week, along with the yearly demolition derby.

The first auto race was held at the fair in 1915.[13] Sprint car races were sanctioned by the American Automobile Association (until 1955), the United States Automobile Club (1956–1966) and the International Motor Contest Association (1967 and 1968).[13] Sprint car legends Tommy Hinnershitz and Ira Vail both captured numerous wins on the half-mile dirt track, and Indianapolis 500 winners Mario Andretti, A.J. Foyt and Parnelli Jones all raced at the Allentown Fair before going on to greater fame.[13] In 1960, Johnny Thomson was killed during a race at the fair when his car crashed through the inside track fence.[13] Although the last sanctioned auto race was held in 1968,[13] demolition derbies continued to be popular event.

Any of you wrestling fans/historians will appreciate this next bit of information.

Next door is Agricultural Hall, which is widely known in the Lehigh Valley as an old home to the World Wrestling Federation. They would produce television shows out of that building in the early to mid-80's. I can still hear the voice of great ring announcer Joe McHugh. A very old-time classic look for a wrestling event, where the entire place was darkened, except for the ring. Pretty positive if you walk into Ag Hall today, the single light that was used to light the wrestling ring, still is hanging from the ceiling.

They also had auto racing inside "Ag Hall".

11/10/1962 to 1966 - 1/12-mile indoor oval (Ran TQ midgets and micro midgets)

Thanks to Turk for these pictures, even though I see this piece of history every day..... :cheers2:

"T-o-p-l-e-s-s.... TOPLESS!!"

"Take a nice cool drink..."

2014 Race Counter

Big Diamond - 1
Grandview - 5
Kutztown - 1
Lanco - 4
Port Royal - 2
Reading Fairgrounds - 1
Selinsgrove - 0
Williams Grove - 5

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:36 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Have you got more infos for Allentown Fair events from pre WW2 era?I am interested in results...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Found some results here, not weekly but explains winners history at the fairgrounds speedway

http://www.earhs.org/article.asp?aid=35&

"T-o-p-l-e-s-s.... TOPLESS!!"

"Take a nice cool drink..."

2014 Race Counter

Big Diamond - 1
Grandview - 5
Kutztown - 1
Lanco - 4
Port Royal - 2
Reading Fairgrounds - 1
Selinsgrove - 0
Williams Grove - 5