Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lincoln USAC/URC Show
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:28 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

"Due to contractual obligations with USAC and URC to pay the purse for make-up features to be run at Lincoln next year, the event was considered to be a complete show and rain checks will not be honored."

“Because 50% of the show was completed, we are required to pay the full and complete purses to both USAC and URC, said event co-coordinators Bob Miller and Ray Herold in a joint statement, “With USAC only coming east once per year, the only option is to reschedule the event in 2015. USAC will run a complete show plus the make-up feature. URC will again be part of the program and run two features as well in 2015. We greatly regret the decision.”

I understand contracts and give everyone involved a thumbs up for trying to move the show along last night but, since "50%" of the show was admittedly completed, why not offer a good will gesture of 50% off admission to next year's show to the fans with rainchecks that came out last night under less than ideal conditons to support the show, which, without them, the purse could not have been paid, or paid with a loss to the speedway!?!?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:48 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

$25 lesson learned...

how does this work based on the wording:

A) if the purse is being paid out now...why do the cars / driver need to race for it next year if they already drove off with a payout? and if they do show up to race next year, do they get paid again?

B) if weather is threatening next year, will USAC run a 12 lap B Main like the glorified hot laps last night to eliminate 1 car instead of just lining up and racing the A to give the fans what they paid to see? I understand the long standing history of USAC catering to tradition, but when do the fan's satisfaction play into the equation when the radar situation was well known by all in attendance and the division has no plans to return until the next calendar year?

C) Is it too early lobby to pay more at the gate to send the URCrashing division home since the race will be scheduled for a school night?

thanks to all for trying last night, the cars tried to save the track at the expense of fuel while the sky weeped, which might have been avoided if they went straight to the A Main instead of running a useless B.

Port = 2716 ft. = .51 mile T3=TBD
Grove = 2792 ft. = .53 mile T3=135 MPH
Selinsgrove = 2847 ft. = .54 mile T1=136 MPH

2013: 49 Races
Grove: 25 / Lincoln: 13 / Port: 2 / Susky: 4 / Selinsgrove: 2 / Eldora: 2 / Lima: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:57 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

The purse was paid to the USAC group but that is it. The drivers will have to wait till 2015 to race and get paid for their efforts. :twisted: USAC basically gets to pocket the purse money in the bank and collect interest for a year...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:02 pm 
Legend
Legend

Sometimes tough decisions have to made when operating a race track and a racing series. On their behalf , I think that is all that could have been done.

Rules are rules , if you are starting a set amount of cars for a feature field , then you have to abide by the rules.

Don't you people get tired of complaining? :dontknow:

2014 races : 42

Port Royal 17
Williams Grove 18
Lincoln. 3
Trailway 1
Path Valley 1
Grandveiw 1
Hagerstown 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:04 pm 
Legend
Legend

I do agree that maybe Lincoln could do some sort of discount on next years' tickets to rain check holders. 50% is a little much but maybe $5 off. :dontknow:

2014 races : 42

Port Royal 17
Williams Grove 18
Lincoln. 3
Trailway 1
Path Valley 1
Grandveiw 1
Hagerstown 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:23 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

If this were Port or selinsgrove wow can't even imagine the venom.

all that aside several points from my prespective:

1. USAC is off Friday night run the Feature.
2. Why not run the USAC portion of the show first or
- USAC TT's
- Pre-Race cermonies national anthem etc.
- 3 USAC heats
- 1 URC heat
- USAC Feature
- Remaining URC show.
3. $5.00 off would be a good token of appreciation.....otherwise if the weather is iffy next year people will certainly not get bitten twice. or more importantly iffy anywhere fans that were there last night will be less likely to pay to get in.
4. dang i think that feature was gonna be a good one!!!!!!
5. wingless is a ton of fun to watch....except identifying numbers on the car.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:53 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

BigRightRear wrote:
$25 lesson learned...

how does this work based on the wording:

A) if the purse is being paid out now...why do the cars / driver need to race for it next year if they already drove off with a payout? and if they do show up to race next year, do they get paid again?

B) if weather is threatening next year, will USAC run a 12 lap B Main like the glorified hot laps last night to eliminate 1 car instead of just lining up and racing the A to give the fans what they paid to see? I understand the long standing history of USAC catering to tradition, but when do the fan's satisfaction play into the equation when the radar situation was well known by all in attendance and the division has no plans to return until the next calendar year?

C) Is it too early lobby to pay more at the gate to send the URCrashing division home since the race will be scheduled for a school night?

thanks to all for trying last night, the cars tried to save the track at the expense of fuel while the sky weeped, which might have been avoided if they went straight to the A Main instead of running a useless B.

BRR - agree 100%, especially on dropping the URC.
Last night at the very start URC hot laps were called to the track - NO ONE moved.
They begged for ten minutes over the radio for the cars to get on the track.

I left right after the USAC B Main, took one look at the radar and I was gone.
I live in Middletown, it takes me a good hour to get to Lincoln - I was home, sitting watching twitter for at least 45 minutes before they called it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:02 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Don't think Lincoln had much in this show. It appears track to leased to Bob Miller and company. URC is at Williams Grove this Friday.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:29 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

I think this same scenario happened a few years back at Grandview, only they didn't run double features. They expanded the A main to 50 laps and 2 25 lap segments, it wasn't like a completion of last year's program and a whole new program, but simply just the new program with an extended A main.

This makes sense that they'd do this again because it's unlikely all 24 teams/drivers will show up again let alone in the same cars 365 days later.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:31 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Brent Leach wrote:
Sometimes tough decisions have to made when operating a race track and a racing series. On their behalf , I think that is all that could have been done.

Rules are rules , if you are starting a set amount of cars for a feature field , then you have to abide by the rules.

Don't you people get tired of complaining? :dontknow:

:thumbleft: :cheers2: :thumbright: :yessss: :yessss:

I'm looking at 2 features for the price of one next year :uzi: :uzi:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:59 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Pretty sure Lincoln has nothing to do with last night. Lincolns policy is all qualifying must be done in order to call it a full show and last night it was not, there was a b-main to run next year. They are calling it a complete show even though there was still a b-mail to run. I would like someone to find a rain policy for last night because it looks like one did not exist (seeing that they are not using Lincoln's policy and they knew rain was a good possibility, why wasn't anything put out there). So next year, there will be a b-mail and two make-up features. How do you line that up if drivers change rides for all of this??? It looks bad for everyone when a promoter - URC keeps the money, except the sanctioning fees, and schedules features and of all things a b-main to be run next year. Everyone that went last night will have to pay full price again???? Maybe someone can make this post look bad and honestly I hope they can by providing any information on the rain policy last night because the way it looks, the promoter made it up as he went and it was done in a manner to benefit him and him only. Again just an outside perspective looking for a good reason to be wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:12 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Even though I ended sitting in the stands with my crappy aching back I enjoyed the heck out of what they put on. I don't know if skipping the B main would have helped. remember they set a new 12 lap record with that race. Between URC farting around with hot laps (which BTW they started early) and the USAC B I don't think they still would have gotten the whole race in. I know one thing... if they prep a track like they had last night again and if the weathers good hold onto your hat because you're going to be in for a great night of racing.

http://www.pbase.com/davidm2/
http://davidm.smugmug.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:28 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

if they prep a track like they had last night again and if the weathers good hold onto your hat because you're going to be in for a great night of racing.

:buddiesdrinking:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:45 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

:ahhh:

The only thing I missed was----Montieth out there kicking some butt. :buttkick:

Maybe a collection should be made...to be given to Montieth and his car owner
to race next year. Yes, I'm willing to pay to see him there-----wingless.

:cheers2:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:41 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Rules may be rules but at some point common sense needs to dictate. A 12 lap B-main to eliminate 1 car with threatening weather approaching? You gotta be kidding me.