Discuss Miscellaneous Open Wheel Racing
hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Susky

Post by hotrodney » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:18 pm

Brent Leach wrote:
nowingsjeff wrote:
BlueOnBlack21 wrote:Usac needs to come here twice a year so we can make up these rainouts in the fall :ohyeah:
I think USAC should start a Eastern States sprintcar series. That way we wouldn't have to travel all the time to Indiana to see real racing.
I'm hearing there is talk of a central PA wingless series to run several tracks next year. :dontknow:
It's a great idea that I can't believe hasn't been tried yet with several tracks struggling to find a cost effective headline division. We keep trying different divisions of limited winged sprints when the answer is obvious- wingless sprints on a bullring. Susky would be good, Path Valley even better.
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.

SLINKMASTERC
Racer
Racer

Post by SLINKMASTERC » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:29 pm

Wouldn't need a stinking wing rule that's for sure. Dished or flat..... Nah take that puppy off.
Racecar spelled backwards spells Racecar

nowingsjeff
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nowingsjeff » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:01 pm

I'm hearing there is talk of a central PA wingless series to run several tracks next year. :dontknow:[/quote]

How many people reading this post remember when USAC sprintcars were 305's?

Ever since Frenchie got the 305's going out this way & Virginia I've always wondered why they run wings. They don't have the ponies to pull that huge hog shed around in the first place. If they're really interested in cost savings, losing the wing would be the way to go, not to mention improve the on track action. It would also give them their own identity.

Just throwing it out there for discussion.

Cobra
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by Cobra » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:12 pm

If ever a weekly track was perfectly positioned to start non wing racing weekly its Trail-Way.

You could have no engine rules (lets face it .. no wing, hard tire short track .. HP might not be needed).. a hard durometer both rear tire rule and have at it !

I am sure between 305,358/360 and 410s there would be a heap of cars..

g2aacc
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by g2aacc » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:50 am

Check the rules section of the BOSS sprint series. They are averaging 27 cars per show. Seems like it is working....... :ahhh: :ahhh:

I for one am going to support them in Clearfield beginning of July :thumbright:
Second place is the First loser.....

DavidM
Legend
Legend

Post by DavidM » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:16 am

Cobra wrote:If ever a weekly track was perfectly positioned to start non wing racing weekly its Trail-Way.

You could have no engine rules (lets face it .. no wing, hard tire short track .. HP might not be needed).. a hard durometer both rear tire rule and have at it !

I am sure between 305,358/360 and 410s there would be a heap of cars..
I too think Trail-Ways would be a good fit for a weekly PA wingless schedule. The 358's numbers there are pretty low of late. I wonder how a wingless super sportsman would compare to a wingless 358 at a track like Trail-Ways?
If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do" Warren Miller

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

JTR13
Pit Member
Pit Member
Location: Friday- Grove infield Turn 3 Saturday- Susky infield pitstall #45

Post by JTR13 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:53 am

I, along with a lot of Susky's Saturday regulars have said for years that Todd is missing a HUGE money maker by not stepping up and giving the 305's a home track... Be it 305, 358, or 410's, you ask any of those drivers and they will all say that Susky is one of their favorite tracks to run... The Fisher's could make some pretty good money by giving the 305's a home, and I bet is you took all the traveling out of the equation, the 305 car count would climb dramatically... I say ditch the silly minivans and road warriors, combine the street stocks and extreme stocks, and run the those plus the LM's and the 305's...I know at least a 1/2 dozen guys who have car sitting in there garages who don't race them cause they would rather just be able to go to one track and compete, heck I've also heard from a few Super Sportsman guys who said they would transition over to the 305's if they had a home... And I can't believe I am actually going to say this cause I've always fault on the other side of the fence, but watching heats and TT's Sunday changed my opinion, but let's go ahead and take the wings off of the 305's! That saves money for these "low dollar" guys who want to race open wheel, eliminates some of the rules they have to worry about, and gives the fans a little variety...
All "FOUR" Fun!!!

hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by hotrodney » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:06 pm

nowingsjeff wrote:I'm hearing there is talk of a central PA wingless series to run several tracks next year. :dontknow:

Ever since Frenchie got the 305's going out this way & Virginia I've always wondered why they run wings. They don't have the ponies to pull that huge hog shed around in the first place. If they're really interested in cost savings, losing the wing would be the way to go, not to mention improve the on track action. It would also give them their own identity.

Just throwing it out there for discussion.[/quote]

I agree. A big wing and small motor never made any sense to me either. From what I understand though, going wingless isn't as simple as taking the wing off. The cars are completely different and the chasis isn't even the same, so I doubt you'll see the 305's sans-wing anytime soon.
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.

c4
Legend
Legend

Post by c4 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:00 pm

hotrodney wrote:
nowingsjeff wrote:I'm hearing there is talk of a central PA wingless series to run several tracks next year. :dontknow:

I agree. A big wing and small motor never made any sense to me either. From what I understand though, going wingless isn't as simple as taking the wing off. The cars are completely different and the chasis isn't even the same, so I doubt you'll see the 305's sans-wing anytime soon.[/quote]
some are and some are not. there are quite a few guys doing will with maxims with wing mounts ;)

High in the first turn
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by High in the first turn » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:36 pm

hotrodney wrote:

I agree. A big wing and small motor never made any sense to me either. From what I understand though, going wingless isn't as simple as taking the wing off. The cars are completely different and the chasis isn't even the same, so I doubt you'll see the 305's sans-wing anytime soon.[/quote]

Was it 305 or 312ci? I recall Jack Gunn had a 312 limit in the 70's to match USAC.

CTtoPA
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by CTtoPA » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:33 pm

USAC was 302 at one point. Remember that when USAC started the popular motor was a 220ci 4-cylinder!
Better Living Through Chemistry