Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:19 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 358 Top Wings....
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:04 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

In my opinion I think it is time for the 358 class to change their top wing from the hideous wings they now have to the 5x5 wings that 410 Sprints use. After being at 2 URC events last week, I noticed that the 358 drivers that ran with them were able to run almost anywhere other than hugging the bottom. After watching the feature last night at Lincoln, I am more convinced that the change needs to be made. Maybe not this year but next year for sure. Tracks normally don't change their rules half way through the year and I understand that. If the rule would be changed then 410 teams could also benefit by selling their used wings to 358 teams. I understand that 358 teams scrape and scratch to make it to the track week in and week out, but I think the new wings would make for more competitive racing due to multi grooves versus what we see now. Granted there are some who will venture up to the high side but 99% are stuck on the bottom and never attempt to run the outside. With the bigger wing I truly believe that would change.

Ok I've said my part....Now its your turn....The floor is yours....

Post subject: Re: 358 Top Wings....
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:57 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Was the the difference because of the wings or different track conditions? A lot of times the 358's run their feature on a track that is pretty used up without much of a cushion left. If it really was the size of the wings, then I guess the wingless guys would always have to run the bottom.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:24 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

358s should be wingless

Hagerstown: 6
Potomac: 4
Lincoln: 2
Path Valley: 1
Susquehanna Speedway Park: 3
Williams Grove: 6
Virginia Motor Speedway: 1
Winchester: 8
Trail Way: 4
Port Royal: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:42 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

It is of my opinion, the wing issue should be the least of their worries. I feel that the 358 class is soon to be a thing of the past. I feel that tracks will either switch to 360 or to the 305 class.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:20 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Should change to a 4x4 wing for all classes :dontknow:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:42 pm 
Legend
Legend

The car we are putting together to run test and tune for my grandson has a 5x5 wing and will probably have a 358 motor at least for his seat time for a year on Wed. nights. Reason is we picked up two for 100 bucks and could repair them so now we have two wings fresh powder coated in another deal we made and it was very minimal cost. Seat time is the key for a very young driver so I could give a you know what if it has the correct wing for the engine we are using. Point is I agree the budget racer could pick these wings up at a much better deal and just put a little work into them. 410's will change a wing that is not complete trash where picking up a used 3x5 can be a tough deal..The actual racing would remain to be seen but I think you may very well be correct on that point also.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:37 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

i enjoy the radical look of the current 358 wing, it gives them a little cosmetic character that maybe the new comer fan might be able to distinguish between the 410s and the limiteds. but im only speaking from a fans point of view where theres no such thing as a budget or lack of supplies and everyrace team swims in a pile of gold coins like scrooge mcduck :laughing7:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:50 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

hotrodney wrote:
Was the the difference because of the wings or different track conditions? A lot of times the 358's run their feature on a track that is pretty used up without much of a cushion left. If it really was the size of the wings, then I guess the wingless guys would always have to run the bottom.

Agreed they had no problem running up top almost tapping the fence at Selinsgrove.

Williamsgrove - 15
Port Royal - 8
Path Valley - 1
Hagerstown - 1
McKean County - 1