Kimmel Memorial

Discuss anything related to Williams Grove
Locked
User avatar
Deez Nuts
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:25 am

Re: Kimmel Memorial

Post by Deez Nuts » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:15 pm

XracerX wrote:I'll join the ******-fest here.

My complaint is that 25 -410 sprints are in the pits on the Billy Kimmel Memorial and Kids Night, and how many put their car in the infield for the fans to get a rare opportunity to see one up close and interact with the fans. I understand some had to work on their cars from the night before. Certainly half of them could have pushed around to the infield. Talk about missing an opportunity to make new fans, gain exposure for yourself and your sponsors. I just don't get it.

The Saturday Night Series makes these guys look like pre-Madonna's, too good to spend an hour with the fans. How many of these young fans will be fans for life because one day before the races they got to sit in a race car? Or the not so young fans got to peek inside the cockpit or feel the softness of the tires and get a real better appreciation for what they are watching.

Thanks for Williams Grove for doing it, hopefully the races team see the opportunities they passing up.
I agree with ya. Why even bother with kid's night for the sprints. The saturday night series kid's night has every car in the infield, with almost every team giving something away. The saturday series is very family friendly, while the sprint shows dont seem to focus on the kids at all, so why bother trying to have a kid's night with 4 cars in the infield?

User avatar
Scott H
Crew Member
Crew Member
Posts: 1024
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Harford County, MD

Re: Kimmel Memorial

Post by Scott H » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:46 pm

Deez Nuts wrote:
XracerX wrote:I'll join the ******-fest here.

My complaint is that 25 -410 sprints are in the pits on the Billy Kimmel Memorial and Kids Night, and how many put their car in the infield for the fans to get a rare opportunity to see one up close and interact with the fans. I understand some had to work on their cars from the night before. Certainly half of them could have pushed around to the infield. Talk about missing an opportunity to make new fans, gain exposure for yourself and your sponsors. I just don't get it.

The Saturday Night Series makes these guys look like pre-Madonna's, too good to spend an hour with the fans. How many of these young fans will be fans for life because one day before the races they got to sit in a race car? Or the not so young fans got to peek inside the cockpit or feel the softness of the tires and get a real better appreciation for what they are watching.

Thanks for Williams Grove for doing it, hopefully the races team see the opportunities they passing up.
I agree with ya. Why even bother with kid's night for the sprints. The saturday night series kid's night has every car in the infield, with almost every team giving something away. The saturday series is very family friendly, while the sprint shows dont seem to focus on the kids at all, so why bother trying to have a kid's night with 4 cars in the infield?
:signs011:

The SNS is the gold standard for running a kid's night, while the Friday night program is the absolute worst. How they are run at the same place makes me :thinking: :dontknow:
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?

getting older
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:19 pm

Re: Kimmel Memorial

Post by getting older » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:01 pm

the sns series guys asked if they would open the gates earlier so they could set up for the kids. You just can't ask for a more fan friendly group of people.

User avatar
hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Posts: 4714
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:44 pm
Location: 704 Houser St.

Re: Kimmel Memorial

Post by hotrodney » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:50 pm

CH_88 wrote:
hotrodney wrote:
AlbertW wrote:Any track, when rain is in the vicinity should quit the breaks, and get the racing going. Race fans are there for the racing, not the fluff that really does not interest them. When the fluff interferes with the racing, you will get unhappy race fans. Drivers will understand if breaks in the action are short so that the show can get in when weather conditions are such. And the fans sitting in the stands want to see the racing and not be looking at their smart phones at the radar wondering if the track will get the show moving.
When fireworks take precedent over the racing, something needs to be said...and changed! Twice in 1 weekend? That's ridiculous. Even the biggest firework enthusiasts must be getting a little tired of them by now, no?
You guys are both right on the money. The problem with what's going on is that Williams Grove is chasing away its loyal customers and loyalty is very important in any business, especially racing. Anyone who has been going there for longer than a couple of years can see the ever growing number of empty seats. Of course there are economic reasons for that but a lot of it is just people being chased away. The die hard race fans are the ones who are there no matter what and they're the foundation from which everything else is built upon. They're the ones who are there in early march freezing their a$$es off and they expose countless people to our sport and at least in my case, every new person I've taken has become a fan and has since returned. They don't return because they saw fireworks, they return because they just saw the most exciting racecars on the face of the earth putting on a show and they want to see it again. Without those people, all you have are the casual fans who don't attend regularly and in my opinion, a racetrack just can't survive that way. How many times have we seen someone say on this message board or elsewhere that they used to go every week and had reserved seats and/or season tickets but now they don't go at all? I'm not quite to that point yet because quite frankly, I love sprint car racing and I love Williams Grove Speedway that much that I'm not ready to part with it yet. Some would say I should quit going (and they're probably right) and its getting to that point but I'm not one to make empty threats. I don't know how much longer I'll feel that way because I'm really getting fed up and I'm starting to think of some other things that I'd like to be doing on Friday nights that are far less aggravating and helluva lot cheaper. I'm sure they probably don't care about whether I go or not but I'll say this, if I don't go, there's going to be quite few people that go with me on a regular and semi regular basis who won't be there either. The point is, there's a bunch of other people who have already given it up and if things continue this way, there will be more including myself. My dad has been going there for 25 or 30 years and after Sunday, he's done with the place. Its a sad situation all around. It reminds me a lot of Port Royal in the mid 2000's through 2011 before Steve O'Neal and company stepped in and saved the day. Through a lot of hard work and dedication, they have turned Port Royal into a great place to spend a Saturday night and it shows because the crowds are great and there's a lot of excitement surrounding Port Royal these days. I just hope we see that type of thing happen at Williams Grove before its too late.
The Grove is the only track I've noticed where the weekly crowd has dropped off considerably the last couple years. I go to either Selinsgrove or Port on Saturday nights and both have had pretty strong weekly crowds this year. The Grove used to be, by far, the best show of the weekend with the best cars and best car counts and a packed house. Times have changed. I used to go every week but now only once in a while. I still enjoy it but it ain't what it used to be.
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.

User avatar
Duane
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Kimmel Memorial

Post by Duane » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:17 pm

I agree at some point you have to sell this sport to the young. Port does a nice job with the autograph and open pits night! Guess that was 20ft too far for any 410's to bring them to the infield for 15 minutes or so!! :naughty:

User avatar
BlueOnBlack21
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: WG Backstretch

Re: Kimmel Memorial

Post by BlueOnBlack21 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:47 pm

I wasnt able to make the grove last weekend. Do i dare ask which drivers did participate in kids night ? :dontknow:

Not wanting to bash anyone just curious

User avatar
cjettmail
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member
Posts: 396
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:40 am
Location: Ebenezer PA.

Re: Kimmel Memorial

Post by cjettmail » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:00 pm

My wife and I never missed a race on Fri. Night @ the Grove for 20 years. We did miss 1 or 2 weeks some years when we went to a big race somewhere out of town. Now my wife has only been to 2 races this year @ the Grove, And I missed 5 or 6 races. I just can't get into anymore, She has taken the Grove down hill so bad. To many fireworks, Not fan friendly anymore, bring in JUNK for a 2nd class of cars, I'am not sure what the Jack Gunn race was when Selinsgrove does it you know what's going on @ the grove they didn't tell you how they were doing it. There's many more reasons we just can't get into going everyweek any more.

Mr. Port

Re: Kimmel Memorial

Post by Mr. Port » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:02 pm

The 17g, 58 were pushed to the infield, not sure of the other one.

User avatar
zepplinrox
Legend
Legend
Posts: 5416
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:51 pm
Location: First capital of the USA

Re: Kimmel Memorial

Post by zepplinrox » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:18 pm

Mr. Port wrote:The 17g, 58 were pushed to the infield, not sure of the other one.
Both were Sportsmen cars.
"zepplinrox"- Brian

Susquehanna Speedway pictures are available for purchase at http://luckyshotphotography.net/
All other race photos on zepprox personal site- http://zepplinrox.smugmug.com

Allen Reed
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:59 am
Location: Hanover, Pa

Re: Kimmel Memorial

Post by Allen Reed » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:48 pm

The thing I don't get is everyone bitching about having to sit thru 7 minutes of fireworks ?

The website was very clear in stating that fireworks were gonna take place Sunday. If you all despise fireworks that much .....WHY DID YOU GO ?????

If they didn't have fireworks the only difference would have been the rains would have hit in the middle of the feature and this board would be blowing up that they got screwed because 13 laps were completed and they called it a completed race screwing everyone out of 12 laps of racing :roll:

Is it really that hard to take a pencil and cross off the 5 races that will have fireworks and take your wife / girlfriend to dinner or a movie :clap:

tripod16652
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:02 am

Re: Kimmel Memorial

Post by tripod16652 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:13 pm

Allen Reed wrote:The thing I don't get is everyone bitching about having to sit thru 7 minutes of fireworks ?

The website was very clear in stating that fireworks were gonna take place Sunday. If you all despise fireworks that much .....WHY DID YOU GO ?????

If they didn't have fireworks the only difference would have been the rains would have hit in the middle of the feature and this board would be blowing up that they got screwed because 13 laps were completed and they called it a completed race screwing everyone out of 12 laps of racing :roll:

Is it really that hard to take a pencil and cross off the 5 races that will have fireworks and take your wife / girlfriend to dinner or a movie :clap:
First off try 12 nights of fireworks, not 5, I was there Friday night and they had them, I hate them but tolerated it. My point is the way the program was handled, it was rushed through until the heats we're complete then, knowing weather was in the area, they took time out to have fireworks and we got screwed out of seeing a race I drove 2 hours to see. A race fan normally goes to the races to see races, not a sideshow, as someone else referred to it, fluff, when the weather is good so be it, goes with the territory, but when they moved the bike races to save time but still thought it was more important to take time out for fireworks instead of getting the feature going it was a stupid decision. I'll stop short of disputing your 7 minutes comment, I didn't time it but it sure seemed like longer than that to me, as far as how many laps would have been completed before the rain started, big deal, 12 laps, 13 laps it don't matter, at least I would have known they gave it their best shot. The only thing you said that I agree with is why did you go? I went hoping they would squeeze the program through and no I wasn't aware that fireworks were on the schedule especially since they had them on the Friday before. Bottom line is the place is going downhill, look at the empty seats on a normal Friday night, defend them all you want but numbers don't lie, judging by the amount of people who have responded to this post agreeing with me you my friend are in the minority.

Allen Reed
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:59 am
Location: Hanover, Pa

Re: Kimmel Memorial

Post by Allen Reed » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:17 pm

Ok.....12 times for fireworks....I was only using a random number to make the point to not go on fireworks night.
You say you didn't know they were having fireworks yet you know they have them 12 times on the schedule. Which is it ??
They did all they could to fore warn fireworks haters.... Clearly have the dates on the schedule and even highlighted them in blue to draw your attention to them. If you missed it shame on you. What else should they do ? Collect personal data and call everyone to let them know fireworks are scheduled ?

About 15 people complaining on this thread doesn't constitute the majority. The people who could care less oneway or the other just haven't felt the need to post.

User avatar
Sprintcars100
Pit Member
Pit Member
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:25 am

Re: Kimmel Memorial

Post by Sprintcars100 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:09 am

Im sure 99.9% of all people where there to see sprintcars not fireworks, save the fire works for like the 4th of july and outlaw races only,if weather is a factor push the fire works untill after the features are done then the people who want to see fireworks can stay the rest can go home, seems simple enough to me.
2015 races:
5 Lincoln
2 Hagerstown
5 Williamsgrove
11 Port Royal
14 Path Valley
1 Selinsgrove
1 Susky
1 New Eygpt
1 Kutztown Action Track USA
1 Uttica Rome
1 Kokomo In.
1 Pittsburgh's Pennsylvania Motor Speedway
1 Gas City I 69 In.

part-time wrecker
Pit Member
Pit Member
Posts: 869
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:13 am
Location: At work

Re: Kimmel Memorial

Post by part-time wrecker » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:20 am

zepplinrox wrote:
Mr. Port wrote:The 17g, 58 were pushed to the infield, not sure of the other one.
Both were Sportsmen cars.
We had Bill Stine's Tribute 47 car in beside Billy Kimmel's car.
Rest In Peace Billy "Hot Shoe" Kimmel - Always Remembered!!
When Someone You Love Becomes A Memory, That Memory Becomes A Treasure.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

tripod16652
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:02 am

Re: Kimmel Memorial

Post by tripod16652 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:08 am

Allen Reed wrote:Ok.....12 times for fireworks....I was only using a random number to make the point to not go on fireworks night.
You say you didn't know they were having fireworks yet you know they have them 12 times on the schedule. Which is it ??
They did all they could to fore warn fireworks haters.... Clearly have the dates on the schedule and even highlighted them in blue to draw your attention to them. If you missed it shame on you. What else should they do ? Collect personal data and call everyone to let them know fireworks are scheduled ?

About 15 people complaining on this thread doesn't constitute the majority. The people who could care less oneway or the other just haven't felt the need to post.
It's not the 15 people complaining on this board as much as the countless ones who aren't showing up anymore because of this kind of $hit going on, I felt the need to express my thoughts on this but it looks like the silent majority rules as evidenced by the empty seats on Friday nights. As far as fireworks it's way over done dude, as I said before I tolerate them when the weather is favorable but it seems like they are more important to the management than the races are. It says on the home page "12 nights of fabulous fireworks", I'm sorry that I "assumed" that since they had them Friday there might be a chance it wouldn't happen again Sunday, I'm done rolling around in the mud with you, it's my opinion and it differs from yours, so be it.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests