Lady Late model Racer from the Grove mid 70's?

Discuss old school racing
PHL80
Rookie
Rookie

Lady Late model Racer from the Grove mid 70's?

Post by PHL80 » Thu May 21, 2015 5:27 pm

I found this picture from the Grove in the Mid 70's of a Lady Late Model Racer. It looks like it says "Jen" on the Helmet. Since I'm not a Late Model guy can anyone fill me in on who she is and what year it was? Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://members.fotki.com/phl80/about/ to see my Vintage Modified Model Race Cars and Personal Racing history page.

supertc88
Legend
Legend

Re: Lady Late model Racer from the Grove mid 70's?

Post by supertc88 » Thu May 21, 2015 5:36 pm

NICE picture! :thumbright:
Central PA - Home of the PA POSSE and the Best Dirt Track Racin' in America!

SAVE Our Farmland, Forrests and Dirt Tracks!

Freedom Is NOT Free!

RIP Billy Kimmel - Gone but not forgotten!

Scott Harro
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by Scott Harro » Thu May 21, 2015 5:52 pm

i want to say Jan Evarts(sp). have some pic similar to this somewhere just have to find them to be sure.
My OPINIONS are just that and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of anyone or any track I am associated with!

Scott Harro
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by Scott Harro » Thu May 21, 2015 6:06 pm

nope she's not the one i was thinking of. here's a pic that i think is jan or jen everts with her husband roy's car. pretty sure i remember the one with goodling was a publicity stunt. can't remember what her "claim to fame" was have some contacts that may know.

My OPINIONS are just that and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of anyone or any track I am associated with!

supertc88
Legend
Legend

Post by supertc88 » Thu May 21, 2015 6:44 pm

NICE picture! :thumbleft:

Freedom Is NOT Free!

Racer
Racer

Post by 1080 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:10 pm

Joy Wilkerson...1976
2016 Attendance

Speed Palace - 20

Susky - 1

Racer
Racer

Post by 1080 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:21 pm

She was brought in by Jack Gunn as a publicity stunt..

She was here one weekend. She appeared on TV shows...and was "Miss South Viet Nam" in 1967. She was on ABC Wide World of Sports in a demo derby also...
2016 Attendance

Speed Palace - 20

Susky - 1

oldtimeracer
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by oldtimeracer » Fri May 22, 2015 6:29 am

1080 wrote:Joy Wilkerson...1976

Wow, that jarred the memory bank. I remember that. All I could remember was Joy.
I have been a race fan that long that I was a Junior fan when it meant Junior Johnson.

2017 Race Count

4-17 Southern 8
East Bay 5
Bubba 2

2015 Race Count 32
2016 Race Count 27

Scott Harro
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by Scott Harro » Fri May 22, 2015 8:36 pm

1080 wrote:She was brought in by Jack Gunn as a publicity stunt..

She was here one weekend. She appeared on TV shows...and was "Miss South Viet Nam" in 1967. She was on ABC Wide World of Sports in a demo derby also...

that's her and that story sounds familiar

PHL80
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PHL80 » Mon May 25, 2015 11:35 am

THANKS 1080! As always your a wealth of information.
http://members.fotki.com/phl80/about/ to see my Vintage Modified Model Race Cars and Personal Racing history page.

RT88
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Post by RT88 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:37 pm

My one hobby outside of racing is collecting old, bad movies from the '50s, '60s and '70s. Joy was Peggy in the 1970 B movie Bigfoot and she played Estelle in the low budget picture Run Angel Run.

RT88
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Post by RT88 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:44 pm

I just found a web site for Joy. Here is info off of her web page. Her page included an email address so she apparently is still living. I see her involvement with Anthony Cardoza a name that brings a smile to anyone that collects bad movies and I mean really bad movies.

Joy Wilkerson was named as one of the "Two Thousand Women of Achievement-1971". She was one of the few women to start in the racing businesses. Her show biz career started from 1962 , with five Danny Thomas Specials on Television, She was the entertainer for many charities, such as: Blind Children's Foundation, Multiple Sclerosis, March of Dimes, and mainly the U.S.O. She was awarded the title of : Miss South Vietnam given by all the U.S.A. Military Services, for USO work and after trip to Vietnam with Dale Robertson in 1967. Over the course of her career, she has received numerous awards and recognition's for her charitable work given by various branches of military services, and certificate of achievement from many other charities.

Wilkerson also appeared on hundreds of TV. and radio talk shows around the world. She also co-starred in : "Bigfoot" with John Carradine and Lindsay Crosby. Her other film credits are: "Run Angel Run" (girlfriend to William Smith). She's also a lecturer, broadcaster and TV hostess of "The Joy Wilkerson Show" written, produced and directed by motion picture film-maker, Anthony Cardoza.

The energetic Ms. Wilkerson dabbled in a variety of sports, including auto racing, in which the famous racing promoter J.C. Agajanian gave her her first try in an all women stock car race at Ascot Park Speedway, in Gardena, California. Prior to her fender banging experience, she was a trophy girl at that track and fell in love with the speeding sprint and midget race cars on the half mile clay oval, where she presented the winning hardware to famous speedsters wearing her shocking pink micro-mini dresses.

Wilkerson also raced against astronaut legend Pete Conrad in a Toyota-match race at Watkins Glen..New York. She also competed in ABC-TV's "Wide World Of Sports" Demolition Derby against Cha'Cha' Muldowney, the drag racing queen and Ricky Nelson, Parnelli Jones, Lyle Waggoner, and a host of other Indianapolis drivers.

Some of the cars she drove were TQ midgets, full sized midgets, sprint cars, dune buggies, SCCA-Formula Fords at Willow Springs, Stock Cars at 605 Speedway. She drove at Flemington Speedway (N.J.) and paced the NASCAR hotshoes Richard Petty, David Pearson, Cale Yarborough, Neil Bonnet and Bobby Allison at Ontario Motor Speedway, in a Datsun 280-Z for the Winston-500 mile stock car race. She also drove Gary Bettenhausen's sprint car in Terre Haute, Indiana. Not claiming to be a champion race driver, she did it to help the future racing-ladies get publicity and notoriety in motor racing like newcomers Sarah Fisher and Shawna Robinson, etc. In one case. She met lady astronaut/Indy 500 racer Janet Guthrie at a car show in Los Angeles and gave her some pointers on how to get PR for herself. The Indy 500 competitor went on to make a name for herself at Indianapolis and put herself into the racing history books.

Joy Wilkerson's other attributes besides auto racing, are acting, traveling, ballroom dancing, swimming, horseback riding, jogging, skipping rope, flying, public relations, skating and driving FAST CARS.

Danny Thomas started Wilkerson's career in showbiz and Bob Hope sent her to her first trophy-girl presentation to the Riverside International Raceway (California) which unknowingly connected her with the auto racing challenges. Born in Detroit (a Leo), she fits right into the limelight of Hollywood kleiglights that brightens her world, showing who she really is. JOY WILKERSON.

RT88
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Post by RT88 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:57 pm

Last entry - Joy Wilkerson passed away several years ago in San Diego. Due to her work with the USO in Vietnam and her loyal support of the Marine Corps League, Joy received a military burial in a national cemetery in San Diego. Have to say she lived a very full life!

Scott Harro
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by Scott Harro » Mon May 25, 2015 8:04 pm

a Memorial Day Salute to her service

supertc88
Legend
Legend

Post by supertc88 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:16 pm

Scott Harro wrote:a Memorial Day Salute to her service
:thumbright:

Freedom Is NOT Free!